Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-18-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Cathy,
Thanks for posting your new 99 with a ruler along side to show just how small these machines are.
Yeah, they are little but they weigh a TON :shock: :shock: :shock: The first time I picked one up I almost fell over frontwards!
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
This is a great example of how confusing the sewing machine world can be. A few pages back I posted a picture of Kathie's new Franklin made by Davis in 1911 for Sears. I knew White also made a machine they called Franklin for Sears, but what a difference in the machines! Kathie's looks like an elaborate 127 with fancy decals, and this machine looks like a tank!

Nancy

Nancy if my Franklin is a 127 can I use my 27 mauel for this machine? Does it thread the same way as the 27? Kathie
Well, that particular model was fashioned after Singer's 27/127, so yes the threading would be the same.

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?
Billy, my husband looked at the machine and he said the spring that holds the motor against the crankwheel is worn out can this be fixed. He is saying that it would cost more to have it fixed than what its worth.
If what you are talking about is the friction wheel that sits against the HW, yes you can get new friction wheels. I had to get a new one for my New Home. You get the whole little friction thingy, not just the tire. It is no big deal to take the old one off the motor and put on a new one - that is the way the motor turns the wheel on those really old friction drive pulley system motors.

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
This is the first time I have seen this HC, it looks like a home made modification to me. Glenn
Old 06-18-2011, 02:30 PM

I just bought another sewing machine. I do not know what model it is. I went to the Singer site and it gave me the year and location where it was made. The serial number is JA0905778. Singer says it is a 1924 made in Canada. It is in a blond tea cart. The cart is in excellent shape. The light does not work on the machine but it seems to run alright. There are no decals on this machine. I will have Nancy :lol: post pictures later. I love you Nancy :D lol. Kathie
Old 06-18-2011, 02:44 PM

I got my first treadel a White rotary. It is the first that will require Billy's cleaning. I did oil it and it treadels. Serial number FR227331 the last pat date is Sept 12 1905 . I have the book with it but it in bad shape. Can anyone tell me about it. The belt is even good and I have a full set of attachments.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213479.jpe   attachment-213480.jpe   attachment-213481.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
I got my first treadel a White rotary. It is the first that will require Billy's cleaning. I did oil it and it treadels. Serial number FR227331 the last pat date is Sept 12 1905 . I have the book with it but it in bad shape. Can anyone tell me about it. The belt is even good and I have a full set of attachments.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...62576881KNhqLm

Check out this page. Your serial number shows she was made in 1908. I just bought one today, in a newer cabinet that is a 1920 model. Yours is in much better shape though.

Texas Jan
Old 06-18-2011, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by QuilterGary
Very nice machine and you even got a manual. How great is that. Glenn
Old 06-18-2011, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011
Are the sewing feet attachments for a Singer 127 and 99 interchangable? Are there generic attachements or do I have to go to vintage collectors?
They should be interchangable...both are side clamp, low shank....
Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
An original Singer handcrank works much better. It geared and you get 3 stitches per crank, unlike yours where you get 1 stitch per crank. Not very efficient in my opinion.
Sharon W.