Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-18-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Can you take a picture of the crank part. I wonder what it is like. It doesn't look like the cranks that I have seen, looks like someone put a handle on the handwheel instead. The cranks I have seen are a seperate mechanism that screws onto the motor mount area. That would explain why it runs backwards.
Geeze, great observation! No this HC doesn't attach to the boss like all the HC's I have seen. I didn't even notice that until you posted this -- then I went back and looked! I would also like to see the HW with the HC to see how it is attached! Something like this could be used with an electric machine as it is not attached to the boss where the external motor attaches!

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 05:51 AM

I picked up a singer 66K born in 1913 in Clydebank Scotland, at a garage sale yesterday...it was pretty dirty and I didn't take a picture first, darn. She was pretty froze up and had been sitting in storage for quite awhile. $40 couldn't go wrong. Started in on her yesterday and boy the kerosene did a job...the only place the decals are worn is in the front of the needle where you would put your hands when sewing. What do you call the decals with the flowers, not red eye or sphinx???

anyway started working on her and oiled and cleaned up/down parts and she broke loose and turns beautifully. Today going to start on cabinet...what decided me was that the 4 drawers were all there, no veneer loose, machine sat solid on front part BUT over the years someone had painted the entire top brown grrrr! the sides and back you can tell what the wood is. don't think its oak but maybe maple??? am going to scrub it down and see what happens. Really hate to strip the whole top but may have to. I will take a picture when I am done but I think she will appreciate her new home with someone that loves her. BTW...found belt and manual on ebay, so for about $60 total she will be up and running soon...thanks Billy for all the help with the kerosene and wax..etc...your the best
Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I know this is a crazy question but is the stitch regulator in reverse ? When you turn the HC away from you.
Pretty machine tho.
Trish great question! That would make sense!

Nancy
This was my thought, also!
Old 06-18-2011, 06:22 AM

beaniekins

when the bobbin winder is engaged you can adjust the top screw on the winder mount. It's slotted to adjust for the tire to contact the hand wheel. If the tire is too old, cracked and hard it may still slip. HTH's
Old 06-18-2011, 06:29 AM

I'm heading out, in a couple of minutes, to buy a singer 99 that is in a cabinet. I remember that Billy said that the cabinets for the 3/4 sized machines are hard to come by so I'm really hoping that it is a cabinet that really fits the 99. Woo Hooo...Craigslist is my friend :mrgreen:
Old 06-18-2011, 06:43 AM

I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213269.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I looked at my handcrank more closely and took a photo. I think what a few of you are saying is correct. It is just a handle screwed onto the flywheel, and not a true handcrank. Here is the photo so you can all have a closer look.
Now that is interesting! I have never seen something like that! No it is not a true handcrank, but very interesting. Anyone else have a similar HC or seen one like that?

Nancy
Old 06-18-2011, 07:59 AM

I'll bet someone's DH was a machinest. I've never seen one like that. Clever.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:03 AM

I have to wonder if someone didn't do this because they had trouble (maybe with arthritis or something) disengaging the clutch to wind bobbins?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Now that is interesting! I have never seen something like that! No it is not a true handcrank, but very interesting. Anyone else have a similar HC or seen one like that?

Nancy
Way cool! I have never seen this. I like this idea. Thanks for sharing photo, very helpful!