Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-09-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by lewlew
Hi, I'm new here but I have been reading this thread till my eyes are crossed lol.

My grandmother gave me her old treadle machine about 15 years ago and it has been sitting in my spare room for about that long. I decided I wanted to clean it up and see if it could still work. Now I'm getting obsessed with this thing!

It is really dirty but it works! I am gonna start really doing some heavy duty cleaning this weekend and I'm really excited.
LOL I know the feeling if I miss a few days I am like Whoa!! I can only imagine what it is like if you just join in and want to read the whole thing.

But you have a great machine and they are so soothing to use. Do you have the treadle for it or are you looking for one. If your looking for one there are a lot of them showing up on CL and can be had for cheap. A Model 27 was my first machine and it looked just like yours. After some TLC I made it into a nice machine.

Billy
Yeah, I lost track of where I stopped. But I love it anyway.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Now the machines really are finding me. Today, my dental hygienist gave me a Singer 66-2 machine,1925. She saved it from her friend throwing it in the trash. My husband told her about my new hobby, and she told him about this machine that was just sitting around her house. She asked if I would like to have it. Well, I couldn't turn down a free machine. I plan to toss the motor on this one too. I now have a box of motors.
After you toss the motor, do you put it in a treadle cabinet?
I threw one out a few years ago, I thought it was a lost cause.
I will NEVER do that again.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
My friend, Terri, and I make 'preemie' quilts and donate them to the neonatal unit at Wesley in Wichita. To date we have donated close to 300 of them. The nurses tell us they don't last long because there are so many preemie babies born nowadays. It's a wonderful way to give and a great way to use up scraps or donated fabrics. Sometimes thaat is all that a mother has to take home with her is the quilt that her small one was wrapped in when she got to hold it. Not all the little ones make it home.
Anyway, any neonatal unit loves getting the little quilts so if anybody is yearning for a cause, this is a good one.
What patterns do you use?
I must check our NICU & see what they already get.
Our DD now 25 yr old was there for 13 days.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:11 AM

I just purchased a 1914 Davis Treadle..NVF..and paid $65. The cabinet is in excellent shape for it's age, dirty, dark but the veneer has just a little chip in the lid. Came with authentic certificate, and instruction book and all kinds of attachements! I'm so happy and can't wait for a son in law to help DH get it off the truck and into the house to warm up and play with!! The man I bought it from picked it up at an estate auction and he has no doubt it works, but has not tried it. He said his wife isn't into treadles for the machine, but just the cabinets which he makes into tables for her. So, since this one looks so good, he decided to offer it for sale. I think I got a bargain. We'll see more when it's warm and sewing!!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
I just purchased a 1914 Davis Treadle..NVF..and paid $65. The cabinet is in excellent shape for it's age, dirty, dark but the veneer has just a little chip in the lid. Came with authentic certificate, and instruction book and all kinds of attachements! I'm so happy and can't wait for a son in law to help DH get it off the truck and into the house to warm up and play with!! The man I bought it from picked it up at an estate auction and he has no doubt it works, but has not tried it. He said his wife isn't into treadles for the machine, but just the cabinets which he makes into tables for her. So, since this one looks so good, he decided to offer it for sale. I think I got a bargain. We'll see more when it's warm and sewing!!

Randa, please post a picture of your new machine. I am wondering if it will look like Nancy's and my machine. If so would you be willing to share the instruction manual if we paid the postage. :roll: :roll:
Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 AM

Here is my "Rose". Wondering if you could tell me about her. Can't get into the cabinet to get to the serial number just now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156507.jpe  
Old 01-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Thanks so much for the info! Yours is a beaut! If only I get so lucky. Did you find it in Round Rock?

PS: I also loved seeing the handsome dog in the background![/quote]

Thank you. I have 2 other cabinets(not Singer) that aren't in as good condition as the coffin top treadle cabinet.
Yes I found the cabinet in Round Rock and that's Miss Molly in the background.
Sharon
Old 01-09-2011, 09:13 AM

This looks very much like my nephew's singer sewing machine is wants to sell. It's a 1914 machine with attachements and also a authenticity certificate. It's in great condition and so is the cabinet. He's asking 200$ and has no buyer. If the cabinet is worth 100$, I figure it's not too much for the whole thing around 200$.
What do you think?[/quote]

In my experience the cabinets that go for more than $100 don't seem to sell. There are some treadle cabinets on Craig's list in my area that have been there for months and still haven't sold.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Yes I found the cabinet in Round Rock and that's Miss Molly in the background.
Then I'm REALLY surprised you got it for such a price. I used to live in that area, and I NEVER found a bargain when shopping for antiques anywhere between Salado and Austin!

PS: I'm guessing Miss Molly's name suits her - she looks like a dear friend.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 AM

thank you leavenworth the one you cant find is myFAVORET singer301A I LOOKED ON SINGER serach no luck this# is under machine na438590. can any one help me billy or loston suzieQ