Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by tomilu
Now when you put one in the bathroom, you are ready for a 12-step program, lol !
My mother kept a 15-91 in the bathroom of the 2-bedroom bungalow she lived in. The bathroom was huge; in the wintertime she would turn on a portable heater in there and spend the day.

I have 4 treadles and 3 E-cabinets on my sunporch (I know it's not good for them, but have no other space), 1 treadle in my daughter's room (worse idea than the sunporch), 3 treadles and 2 E cabinets in my bedroom, 6 treadles in the LR, 7 treadles and 1 E cabinet in my upstairs Non-Sewing room (I say that because I rarely get to sew). In addition, there are handcranks perched here and there. The rest are in the basement, where I am struggling along trying to create a usable space.

None in the bathroom or kitchen!!
Wow, a 15-91 in the bathroom where your Mother would spend her day sewing? I bet she got it nice and cozy in there!

Miz Johnny I count 21 treadles and 6 e-cabinets? What is an e-cabinet? You must have a very large house! I have 3 treadles in the office, 2 in our entry, 2 in the dinning area, and 1 in the garage (getting a face lift). I might be able to fit one more in the house maybe 3 if I give my 99K in the cabinet away and take out the curio cabinet! My sewing room is full with an HQ 16 long arm, my Mother's Pfaff 130 in a cabinet, and my Pfaff 1222e in a cabinet! I clearly need a bigger house!

Nancy
I have three treadles and two electric 1968 New Home and a 1945 White. My wife said this was enough. If I got more ( and would really like to) and put one in the bathroom I would be out on the streeet. Glenn
Old 01-27-2011, 03:40 PM

I forgot I will soon have a hand crank. Glenn
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
Miz Johnny I count 21 treadles and 6 e-cabinets? What is an e-cabinet? You must have a very large house! I have 3 treadles in the office, 2 in our entry, 2 in the dinning area, and 1 in the garage (getting a face lift). I might be able to fit one more in the house maybe 3 if I give my 99K in the cabinet away and take out the curio cabinet! My sewing room is full with an HQ 16 long arm, my Mother's Pfaff 130 in a cabinet, and my Pfaff 1222e in a cabinet! I clearly need a bigger house!

Nancy
I have three treadles and two electric 1968 New Home and a 1945 White. My wife said this was enough. If I got more ( and would really like to) and put one in the bathroom I would be out on the streeet. Glenn
E-cabinet is an electric. I have more treadles in the basement; some in the back room where I tend to forget all about them! And no, I don't have a large house. I also have no bedside tables or end tables in the LR or lamps (other than sewing lamps) or anything of that nature. And my house is crammed full.
Glenn, my husband knows what would happen if I had to choose between my machines and him. Like I've said before, he wants me to be happy--he's out playing poker right now.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Well a nice HC doesn't take up much room!

Nancy
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM

Also, your W&W takes a 127x1 needle or Boye 18. The Davis takes a Boye 10 unless it is really old -- some of the really really old Davis VF took a Boye 20. These needles are no longer in production, so if you can find them you need to start stocking up if you plan on using your machines.

Nancy[/quote]

There are 2 Boye cases of 18s, but they are rusted, in the Davis. hmmmm Thanks for the heads up on needles. I have a number of Boye cases w/needles, but don't remember what they are other than the 10s.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Thanx guys, I got both of them thru CL, the featherweight in Orlando for $200, and the treadle in Newort Richey for $90. Higher on both of them than I hope the next few to be. I forgot to take a photo of the little green 185k, but I'll add it next time. It was free because it has missing parts, but runs and I though it would be my first guinea pig. But it's so cute, I keep thinking if I can locate parts, I'd like to try to get it going. . . . . And the search goes on. . . .luv2learn
Hello everyone. This place is jumpin! Since it is going to be a little while before I do the BIG cleanup on Lizbeth (the treadle) I thought I'd better give her a drink. So I began turning the handwheel (she needs a belt) and slathered oil on everything that moved or looked like it should move, and she drank and drank and drank. then she took a huge SIGH and looked up at me with those big RED eyes and said, "thank you, I really needed that. You must really love me"and as she spoke,
her voice became a mere whisper. . . . ..She just doesn't have a clue as to HOW MUCH I love her! ! !

Isn't it strange how we can get attached to inanimate objects. I think we ARE breathing life back into them.

I'm really not crazy, yet. . . . .! ! ! ! ! luv2learn
Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet.
Oh, so, THAT is how to get more cabinets into the house....I never thought about putting one behind the sofa....:mrgreen:
Now when you put one in the bathroom, you are ready for a 12-step program, lol !
I have one in mine!! :lol:

Billy
Oh, my gosh!! I was just thinking if I moved the stand out and left the machine in the cabinet and the cabinet closed I might be able to, also!! Gonna take some measurements tomorrow!! LOL!
Old 01-27-2011, 07:39 PM

have a question trying to find out about a machine i found on carport had been there for a long time decided to ask about it and was told i could have it for $50.00 i bought it and brought it home just love it still has its belt in drawer and a long bobbin and bobbin case just has singer on it and only other thing is a plate with numbers on it how could i find out when it was made and what type
Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by faithsmamaw
have a question trying to find out about a machine i found on carport had been there for a long time decided to ask about it and was told i could have it for $50.00 i bought it and brought it home just love it still has its belt in drawer and a long bobbin and bobbin case just has singer on it and only other thing is a plate with numbers on it how could i find out when it was made and what type
Write down the numbers and letters, if any, on the plate. Then go to singersewingmachinecompany.com and using the letters, then numbers, identify your machine and it's "birthday." If you google singer serial numbers, the correct site will pop up. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Well a nice HC doesn't take up much room!

Nancy
I donated books to the library to make room for some of the machines that don't get used. They look very pretty sitting there. My husband says all my machines look very happy sitting on the shelves; their new home.