Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2010, 05:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
I remember in jr high school, the boys sewing class always learn to treadle quicker than we girls did, 'what's up with that?' Let's ask Billy why that is?
Maybe because most guys drove a car with a stick shift?

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Billy always says the shop is like family and your loss is all of our loss. May his soul be at rest.
That is right we are all family here!! I am so sorry for your loss, like you I have been gone for a few days working on projects and haven't had the chance at reading all of the post. I know what the loss of a pet is like and its no fun, but be grateful that it was swift. My Chihuahua (Lola) was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and from the time we found out about it until her death 3 months later I grieved for her. I never knew if I was going to wake up and not have her with me.

But he is in Heaven playing around having fun right now with Lola and all of their friends and children waiting on us to meet them so we can help toss the toys about.

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I pieced,free motion quilted and sewed the binding with my Singer 237 treadle(zig zag). Its a great machine for FMQ.
Sharon W. in Texas
That is the machine I am using in my treadle right now! It is a really neat machine to use and I am doing my wifes Christmas quilt on it.

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 AM

I do remember seeing a tutorial or board message on how to clean these up but can't find it again. Can someone tell me where to find it? In the meantime I plan to worship at this mans feet! How lucky can I get? I wonder what else he has in that garage of his?![/quote]

Here is Billy's tutorial Part 2.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

I just did a search from the message board to locate these tutorials.

Nancy
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM

someone posted links to the whole set on pg 442 of this forum. Sure helped me!!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JaneK
so sorry about your doggie. It seems to that alot of us have old sewing machines and old dogs. We had to put our 21 year old chiuhuahua/terrier mix to sleep today. Sandy actually belonged to my MIL/FIL and outlived both of them. He's been failing for a while, but really went downhill fast. Had to wait till the kids both left to return to school. But i think they knew it was inevitable. Been crying all day, it's so hard to make that decision. I think I will get out one of my old machines and sew a little, that always helps!
I am so sorry to hear about the loss. My wife cried for 4 days straight when we lost ours. She still tears up ever so often especially when she visits her grave by our water garden.

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend
The bobbin you see on the spool pin of my treadles is being used as an extra thread guide when I use the cone thread stand. It seems to help guide the thread better, I had the thread get caught around the handwheel and treadle belt wheel. OMG What a chore that was to remove all that thread.
I made my thread spool stand and found out that it really sucks when you get the thread hung up in the treadle belt and handwheel. All of my machines have been modified so that the thread will not jump out of the thread path.

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darlin121
Thanks. I printed it out for future use.
Would anyone know where the other tutorials are:
Electrical?
Cleaning part2?
Timing of Treadles?
Reassembly?

You should not have to retime any of these machines. The 66 is the only one that the timing could get out of whack and I can walk you through the process of getting it back in time if needed be.

But that was definitely a great day with hubby dragging out all the sewing machines!! All my garage has in it is old cars and tools!!

Billy
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM

221 problem . My beautiful Susie keeps locking up on me. She has been to see the Doctor x's 2, and has done it again. I've done what the Doc said to no avail. Can some one help me PLEASE. I hope I'm on the right thread.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bsktkeeper
221 problem . My beautiful Susie keeps locking up on me. She has been to see the Doctor x's 2, and has done it again. I've done what the Doc said to no avail. Can some one help me PLEASE. I hope I'm on the right thread.
Locking up on you? Not good but probably a simple fix as soon as we figure out whats going on.

How long can you sew before it locks up? Do you have thread wrapped around the hook assembly behind it or on the shaft that the bobbin rides on? Can you turn the handwheel backwards after it locks up?

Billy