Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-30-2010, 10:49 AM

After reading the posts on the Singer W9, I decided to take a break from quilter for one day and take a look at my free Singer W9 that I had sitting off to the side. It was very dirty; so, I started cleaning it. Well, I couldn't figure out why the hand wheel would only turn so far. After removing the face-plate the problem was revealed. Take a look at this.

drill bits in machine area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]136224[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136219.jpe  
Old 11-30-2010, 10:58 AM

ouch!!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
After reading the posts on the Singer W9, I decided to take a break from quilter for one day and take a look at my free Singer W9 that I had sitting off to the side. It was very dirty; so, I started cleaning it. Well, I couldn't figure out why the hand wheel would only turn so far. After removing the face-plate the problem was revealed. Take a look at this.
Why in the world?????
Old 11-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Yeah, There were 4 drill bits sitting down there. I think someone didn't know how to take off the face-plate or some kids had fun dropping bits in.

While cleaning the machine, I also discovered that the screw for the needle holder is missing, one of the wires is broken, and parts of the tension (spring and nut) are missing.

I could replace them, but I already have my machines that I love to quilt with. After reading yesterdays posts, I thought it would be fun to just play with the machine for a day and see how it sews...oh well...that will have to be in the future.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-136243.jpe  
Old 11-30-2010, 01:17 PM

I can sew about 4-6 hrs. No it will not turn backwards. If I take the throat plate off as I did it will turn. I took the gib screw out and coludn't get any further . I think I'm afraid of hurting Her. I think there is a minute piece of thread in there some where somewhere, cant get to it . Doc told me to use only "special" thread? they didn't have that stuff then Am I not following or is it my Half Hymers??????
Old 11-30-2010, 01:50 PM

I cleaned out my machine the other day and found the broken tip of a needle. She sews much nicer now! And here I though I had been so careful.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I like what they did with this one! This took real imagination.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/art/2087673159.html
Old 11-30-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Yeah, There were 4 drill bits sitting down there. I think someone didn't know how to take off the face-plate or some kids had fun dropping bits in.
You know Vintagemotif this reminds me of a story I heard about a Featherweight. Our Featherweight teacher swore this is a true story. An Aunt had left a FW to her neice asking her to never sell or give the machine away. Anyway, several years went by and the neice decided she should get the old FW cleaned and oiled so she took it to a repair man. When he opened the front of the machine - there was a very expensive ring inside.

Nancy
Old 11-30-2010, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
I like what they did with this one! This took real imagination.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/art/2087673159.html
They call it a "Scrappoose?" It did take some imagination, but not my idea of what should be done with a sewing machine. It is amazing what somepeople come up with, though!

Nancy
Old 11-30-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
there was a very expensive ring inside.

Nancy
lol Wish mine had been the ring-or money! Oh well, my husband now has a couple more drill bits.