Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-09-2010, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Should have mentioned that the New Home HC came together in pieces from here and there. The base and hand crank are from Cindy Peters, who runs a mail order sewing machine parts business. I bought the machine itself from her at the ISMACS convention in '03 or '04 (can't remember year). A friend sent me the bobbin winder; a member of Treadleon made the adapter.

Where there's a will, there's a way!!
I thought the base might be one of Cindy's. They are beautiful, the wood grain is incredible. I need to get one of those for my Red Eye.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:45 AM

Sharon,
Treadle belts are easy to replace. This page tells you how.

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...eadlebelt.html

Sharon W.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
Billy,

Thank you for starting this Vintage Sewing thread, you are so knowledgeable and helpful!

Craftybear
You are most welcome, and I am the one that needs to be thanking all of the patrons of the Shop!! If it were not for you guys we would not even be here!!

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lynn2354
I also have recently acquired a singer 99-13. The model number? Is that the same as serial#. There is a number located on the bed of the machine AA711092 this is stamped on to an oval plate. I have a small manual that came with it but it doesn't have a year for the machine. I tried a google with the Model number and nothing comes up. Can anyone help me with any info about this machine.
I have had it sitting on a shelf in my sewing room as a decoration. However, with all the posts I have been reading I would love to try restoring her/him....no name as of yet. I think I will need to work in it for awhile before I give it a name.
There are no accessories and it is missing the knee/foot pedal.
Lynn
The little oval boss is the serial number for the machine. According to the documents I have your machine is a Model 99 with only 10,000 of them allotted on August 19 1924.

10,000 is a low number run for Singer, usually its around 50,000. But the 99 was a low production machine for the US with only 734,000 made total. The 99 was in production for only 34 years in the United States from 1923 to 1957 so it should make it a not that often seen model.

In comparison there were over 3.5 million model 27's made in a 13 year period. Both machine totals are from the Elizabethport NJ factory.

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The only repro hand cranks available are for Singer, and the machine must have a motor mount for it to work. Some people get very creative with their modifications. I've seen a Model 12 whose owner used her child's Lincoln Logs and Legos as a base for the crank. One guy was making and selling metal adapters that work one New Home model--I have one of those set up, but as of yet haven't found the right size spring to wind the bobbin. Here she is--another pretty face:
That is a gorgeous machine!!

Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 09:34 AM

Billy;

I'm a fixing to blame you for me buying 2 old machines today. One is a Singer, made in 1924, that still has the original cord, in good shape, plus the curved cover. The cover doesn't smell and was really well taken care of by previous owners. The decals are mostly worn off but by looking at the remains, they were fairly plain. The other is a Davis. Neither is named as of yet and I'll post pics later along with more info.

Chris
Old 06-09-2010, 09:39 AM

She's here....you won't believe the fantastic job that Billy did to package her and ship her out....she has been unpacked and stroked with great enthusiasm...she is now back in the case and will have to wait just a while longer for a complete service and cleaning....I have decided that she will be a working machine....that is what they were made for after all....I am careful with pins and I do not wear any jewelry so I think she will be just fine.....the original photos are on page 103....so again, Billy, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU....

Happy dancing and wildly happy in KS,

Darcene
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Here are the photos that I took as I worked my way through the packaging.

a double layer of insulation foam board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82133[/ATTACH]

photo is sideways
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82134[/ATTACH]

a cut out for the latch
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82225[/ATTACH]

Are we there yet?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]82226[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-82042.jpe   attachment-82059.jpe   attachment-82061.jpe   attachment-82126.jpe   attachment-82127.jpe  

attachment-82128.jpe   attachment-82129.jpe   attachment-82212.jpe   attachment-82213.jpe   attachment-82214.jpe  

attachment-82215.jpe   attachment-82216.jpe   attachment-82217.jpe   attachment-82219.jpe   attachment-82220.jpe  

attachment-82221.jpe   attachment-82222.jpe   attachment-82223.jpe   attachment-82224.jpe   attachment-82225.jpe  

attachment-82226.jpe  
Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Now that is the way to pack a machine! Billy, maybe another tutuorial in your future! I know you are supper busy, we all appreicate your time and care you take with our babies.

Congratulations on you albino FW! :D
Old 06-09-2010, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Now that is the way to pack a machine! Billy, maybe another tutuorial in your future! I know you are supper busy, we all appreicate your time and care you take with our babies.

Congratulations on you albino FW! :D
But there needs to be a note to oneself.......remember to wrap up the controller with left over batting to keep the rubber pads from leaving marks on a white machine!!!

But they came off with a little Dawn (thank you Lord :-D )

I am tickled it made it there!!!!

Billy