Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey
more. can the flywheel be replaced? $. Anne
Yes. Modern reproduction or find a donor. If it's just the handwheel, it will be OK. Check machine over carefully to be sure.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Boopers
Billy, My machine is electric, but needs some work. It is all black, no nickel plating and no fancy decals.
Sweet you have a "Blackside" machine!!! Post some photos of it so we can see it. There were two ways that I know that they did the Blackside finish and before you clean it up I want to see which it is!

Billy
Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Hi Billy, I am heartbroken, I am actually crying as I'm writing this. The Photos are self explanatory. Anne
Well its not as bad as it seems but look how they packed it. That is a horrible job and if you had insurance on the machine make a claim. If it was through PayPal make a claim.

As far as the Handwheel hopefully that is all that is to it and they are out there just check eBay or find a donor machine somewhere. I hope that the shaft is not bent. If it is I can straighten it but I wouldnt trust too many others to do it. But go ahead and take the rest of the handwheel off. Take the little screw on the center knob out and unscrew the knob all of the way, then take the washer off and the rest of the handwheel will come off.

Spin the shaft and see if it is out of round. I hope that is isnt if it is I might could straighten it or you might need to replace the entire shaft in the machine. The decals on the bed are near perfect so I would do anything it takes to save that machine!!!

Billy
Old 06-07-2010, 12:54 PM

I hope I am posting correctly. I asked a question earlier, but no one answered it, so I don't know if I am posting correctly. Has anyone ever seen a featherweight with a hand crank?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
I hope I am posting correctly. I asked a question earlier, but no one answered it, so I don't know if I am posting correctly. Has anyone ever seen a featherweight with a hand crank?
Sorry no one answered your question. You are posting correctly. Seems like, lately, everytime I turn into the shop there are many pages to catch up on in order to be current. Your question must have just been overlooked, but, not on purpose. All questions are welcomed and none are too silly to ask!!!

I am also sorry I don't know the answer to your question. It does seem like someone along the way has turned their FW into a handcrank.

Someone will come up with an answer pretty soon, I am sure. :D :-D
Old 06-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Thanks, glad to know that I am doing it correctly
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM

She is refunding my money and she told me to keep the machine. The wheel wants to turn but it is encased in styrofoam, hopefull the rest is ok. I feel somewhat better. I hope thats the only problem. I would hate to think I only have a decorative machine and not be able to use it. I am going to do as directed after dinner tonight. Thanks, Anne
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

She is refunding my money and she told me to keep the machine. The wheel wants to turn but it is encased in styrofoam, hopefull the rest is ok. I feel somewhat better. I hope thats the only problem. I would hate to think I only have a decorative machine and not be able to use it. I am going to do as directed after dinner tonight. Thanks, Anne
My, the delivery people are getting more and more careless with the care of our packages. I too received a damaged machine. Not as bad as yours my dear, but I was disappointed. My money was refunded and hubby was able to replace the damaged part. I used PayPal to pay for my machine and they have a great system for unhappy customers. The seller was prompt in refunding my money and I too was able to keep the machine.

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

[quote=SewExtreme]
Originally Posted by BZ quilting
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x75Py...eature=related)

Keep in mind this hand crank is not geared; it would wear me out in short order!!

I have seen 2 Featherweights converted to treadle use, and I seem to recall seeing one that had been converted to HC, but am a little fuzzy on the details.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I have seen 2 Featherweights converted to treadle use, and I seem to recall seeing one that had been converted to HC, but am a little fuzzy on the details.
I knew I had seen one somewhere--here are the instructions and photos:

(http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...k/fwcrank.html)