Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wvdek
Hope this hasn't been previously posted. Found this a few minutes ago.

What a price! Neat machine, tho.
That is a nice machine in really good condition for its age. When this machine was made it was less than 20 years since the first patent of a sewing machine. And probably less than 15 years after the first sewing machine was made here in America to be used by the public.

That and the fact that its an Antebellum machine makes it that more desirable.

Billy
Old 06-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
So far, I have purchased 14 machines off of Craig's List. All of them don't have any rust and mainly need to be cleaned up. My 3 most expensive ones are $2500 (2004 Bernina Artista 200 computerized embroidery machine, one treadle Jones Co. for $125 (just needs vacuuming) and a another electric machine for $125. All the others have been $100 or $60 or under $50. i have only asked a few to come down $10 and only one of those turned me down.

I shop other cities if I happen to be visiting someone there or are going through their city on my way someplace. Actually, that's not quite right... my hubby and I have traveled about 3 hours one way in order to buy a special machine 3x... actually they are all special. We make a day of it and have a really nice time together.

Hope this helps or encourages you.
After reading this I got to thinking about what I have tied up in my collection and you will crap on yourself when I tell you how much it is!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a total of $40!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After flipping a few of them and selling the cabinets separate this is what I ended up having in the machines that I have. I have a couple of cabinets for sale now and after they sell I should break even!

Billy
Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Hope this hasn't been previously posted. Found this a few minutes ago.

What a price! Neat machine, tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Shaw-Cla...item1e5c7c06a1

Here's another one. Kinda neat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-Pon...item4aa206a7c8
Haven't looked at the 2nd one but the first one is too cool... way out of my price range though!!

DEARA: thanks for the chart that you posted. :D :D
Old 06-15-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
So far, I have purchased 14 machines off of Craig's List. All of them don't have any rust and mainly need to be cleaned up. My 3 most expensive ones are $2500 (2004 Bernina Artista 200 computerized embroidery machine, one treadle Jones Co. for $125 (just needs vacuuming) and a another electric machine for $125. All the others have been $100 or $60 or under $50. i have only asked a few to come down $10 and only one of those turned me down.

I shop other cities if I happen to be visiting someone there or are going through their city on my way someplace. Actually, that's not quite right... my hubby and I have traveled about 3 hours one way in order to buy a special machine 3x... actually they are all special. We make a day of it and have a really nice time together.

After reading this I got to thinking about what I have tied up in my collection and you will crap on yourself when I tell you how much it is!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

After flipping a few of them and selling the cabinets separate this is what I ended up having in the machines that I have. I have a couple of cabinets for sale now and after they sell I should break even!

Billy
Hmmm... but haven't you rescued rusted ones etc.? And maybe had to do much more work on them?

Actually, I am quite impressed! I'm just not doing something right but I am happy with my small collection. :-D

I have begun to not consider machines in above $60. Big change for me. Your wonderful teaching is rubbing off on me. THANKS!!!
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Hi, everyone - I didn't look at this thread when it was first posted, as I thought I would never need it. Then I won a FW (white) on ebay on Sunday and I have spent the last two days reading ALL the posts!

I now have the heebyjeebies having read such horror stories about machines being badly packed for shipping. I live in Ireland, and my FW is coming from the UK. It's only the second one I have found within my price range with a motor voltage that will work here.

I am hugely envious at the prices most of you canny shoppers have managed to get your machines for. We don't have anything like Craigs List here or in the UK. I also looked at Billy's tutorial, and realised that perhaps I could clean up the old machine I have just on a bookshelf as decoration, so I've had a closer look this afternoon. It's a Seidel & Naumann, made in Germany (one Google site said in Dresden). Sold in London, from 23 Moor Lane EC. Model number 339, but I can't find any other kind of number anywhere- It has a boat shaped bobbin holder (and long bobbin) but desperately needs cleaning up, then perhaps the decals would be prettier. I can't get any Dojo here that doesn't have pumice in it, so could anyone help with a supplier I might get it from in the USA please? Many thanks.
I have taken some pics of the S&N, and promise to post them, and please will you all keep your fingers crossed that my little white FW makes it here in one, undamaged piece?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
going to go throw up now.................................. :hunf:
Old 06-15-2010, 09:24 AM

OH NO, BKinCO... I hope you feel better soon.

If you have spent more than Billy, just remember 1) it isn't a contest and 2) you can spend less from here on out. LOL (not at your expense--oh, didn't realize that would be a pun... reallly not intended, as they say. :-D
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

OH NO, BKinCO... I hope you feel better soon.

If you have spent more than Billy, just remember 1) it isn't a contest and 2) you can spend less from here on out. LOL (not at your expense--oh, didn't realize that would be a pun... reallly not intended, as they say. :-D
ROFL. I'll live. I am just incapable of letting any opportunity of picking at Billy go by.......It IS pretty sickening though.....;)
Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Billie, What kind of cabinets do you have? Anne
Old 06-15-2010, 10:46 AM

Thanks Charlee !!!! :D :lol: