Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Thanks Crossstitcher. It's not the one I have on hold, but it's the one I wanted. It's the Centennial. I also have on hold a 1948. The '48 is in perfect working order. Still scrimping together to pay for it. However, the Centennial I got for sorta cheap and I always wanted one. It's going to need some cleaning and tuning to get it up to speed, but I'm hoping I can do that here with the help of these great and knowledgable people. That's you Charlee & Billy. Thanks for what you do for us here!!!!!
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Quilterguy, Glad you got the FW.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Thanks Charlee, but I've already tried this. Moved it all the way down for 6 stitches to the inch and all the way up to 30 and the rest of the way up for reverse and there is no change. I mean the stitches aren't being burried in the layers of the fabric. The stitches look perfect from the back, but on the front it's a thread with little "bumps" (not sure what to call it, lol) where the thread from the back is wrapping over the thread from the top. Does this make sense
Makes good sense to me! :) Billy gave you good advice on page 156! That would have been my suggestion after reading this post! :)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Adjust the bobbin tension. There will be two screws on the bobbin case one to hold it on the other to adjust the tension. Just do it a 1/4 turn and try it out if it needs more the another 1/4 turn until its set right.

Billy
Thanks Billy. I've never tried to adjust the bobbin tension before. Not even on my new machine. I'm a bit apprehensive, but I will give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks to Charlee too. I tried your advise too, but it didn't work. Will keep trying.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 PM

Doug, just make sure to make TINY turns of the bobbin screw...it's easy to get it out of whack and have trouble getting it back. :) Before you test it, have your top tension set at about 5, or in the "middle".
Good luck! :)
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 PM

Thanx again Charlee. I may not have been able to use your advise this particular time, but I know I will need it in the future. You are a wealth of information. I, as well as a lot of other people on here, really appreciate what you and Billy do.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:47 PM

Gonna give it a try first chance I get tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know how it goes.
Originally Posted by Charlee
Doug, just make sure to make TINY turns of the bobbin screw...it's easy to get it out of whack and have trouble getting it back. :) Before you test it, have your top tension set at about 5, or in the "middle".
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Charlee, Do you know what Shuttle will fit a fiddle base Domestic machine dated about 1880?
According to the charts that Deara made available to me, (THANKS DEARA!! :) ) your machine should take a Boye 8 needle and a Boye 7 shuttle.

Hope that helps!

Deara, you should post the links here if it's ok to do so! :)

Here is the link to the charts Charlee mentioned above:

http://sites.google.com/site/kevinsstuff1/sewing-stuff

Blessings to all,
Sandi
Old 06-15-2010, 05:38 AM

Hope this hasn't been previously posted. Found this a few minutes ago.

What a price! Neat machine, tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Shaw-Cla...item1e5c7c06a1

Here's another one. Kinda neat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Vintage-Pon...item4aa206a7c8
Old 06-15-2010, 06:13 AM
Banned

The top tension numbers are just a reference not set in stone. When I set the tension up on a machine I back the top tension almost all of the way off of the machine and screw it back in 2 1/2 to 3 times then back it off till its in the middle of the numbers (about 4 or 5) then I set the bobbin tension from that. I use gauges to set mine up and I usually match what ever the top tension ends up being. I test it on some broad cloth and see how it sews if I need to adjust it I will.

Billy
Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM

CAROLJ.where are you? There's a 1950 301 slant needle machine on ebay right now.....#16044444496099
4 hrs left and it's on at $73.00 last i looked! It's a beauty...so if anyone else is looking for one...here it is.!!