Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Since Charlee started posting links for CL finds. Here is one from my area. I would be glad to go look and pick up whatever you purchase :-D :-D :-D

Negotiate well!

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1789306302.html

And a treadle industrial.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/for/1789306302.html
No Fair! I live in Texas now, just a bit too far to drive now.
Sharon W.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Am interested in an treadle cast iron base...what is a fair amount to pay for one in good shape? It doesn't have to have the top on it, by the way. I seen one on ebay for 9.99 to start bidding for 5 days plus $49 for shipping.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
Am interested in an treadle cast iron base...what is a fair amount to pay for one in good shape? It doesn't have to have the top on it, by the way. I seen one on ebay for 9.99 to start bidding for 5 days plus $49 for shipping.
Hope you find what you want. I have paid $30, $125- 2x and one I inherited. Unless the teadle you want is exquisite and almost pristine, I wouldn't pay more than $125. I look at treadles all the time on CL and I have seen plenty of nice ones for that price and lower.

Of course, there are those who are asking too much for their machines. And some... are priced to the sky!

I have a problem with passing them up when they are in my price range... but am getting better at this since our home is filling up. :-D :D
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Linda,
I've seen some real barkies on Craig's list and they are asking
as much as $200 for what is basically a piece of scrap metal and a really bad cabinet.
Sharon
Old 06-14-2010, 07:15 PM

oh...thanks for that info , CL stands for craig list! I guess i should be patiently waiting for the right deal.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Charlee, Do you know what Shuttle will fit a fiddle base Domestic machine dated about 1880?
According to the charts that Deara made available to me, (THANKS DEARA!! :) ) your machine should take a Boye 8 needle and a Boye 7 shuttle.

Hope that helps!

Deara, you should post the links here if it's ok to do so! :)
Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Linda,
I've seen some real barkies on Craig's list and they are asking
as much as $200 for what is basically a piece of scrap metal and a really bad cabinet.
Sharon
Yes, you are right. In my area most of them are pretty nice.

So far, I have purchased 14 machines off of Craig's List. All of them don't have any rust and mainly need to be cleaned up. My 3 most expensive ones are $2500 (2004 Bernina Artista 200 computerized embroidery machine, one treadle Jones Co. for $125 (just needs vacuuming) and a another electric machine for $125. All the others have been $100 or $60 or under $50. i have only asked a few to come down $10 and only one of those turned me down.

I shop other cities if I happen to be visiting someone there or are going through their city on my way someplace. Actually, that's not quite right... my hubby and I have traveled about 3 hours one way in order to buy a special machine 3x... actually they are all special. We make a day of it and have a really nice time together.

Hope this helps or encourages you.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:01 PM

I am so excited! There was an ad in the paper yesterday for an estate auction. Half way down on the items available they posted, 'six very old sewing machines'...

I know the lady and assistant who are sponsoring the auction so I think I will go talk to them and see what they have.

I told DH he needed to go rob the money tree, cuz they just might have some machines I want/need. He just rolled his eyes.

Sale is Thurs., Fri., and Sat. so will see what I find out. Wish me luck.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM

After reading about so many that got damaged due to poor packing I was really worried. But, surprise! It was actually packed quite well. Used a lot of egg crate foam packed everywhere. No damage. I have PayPal, but didn't want to use it. I paid by Postal Money Order. It worked just fine. You may need to check with the seller first before trying this option.
Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Lucky you, Quilter guy!!!!!!!! I am green with envy, lol!
Alot of the people on here get machines on Ebay, but read the posts about how thye need to be packed. Alot of damages have happened......
I trust ebay, just dont like to keep up with the auction stuff, plus no pay pal, lol!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 PM

Thanks Charlee, but I've already tried this. Moved it all the way down for 6 stitches to the inch and all the way up to 30 and the rest of the way up for reverse and there is no change. I mean the stitches aren't being burried in the layers of the fabric. The stitches look perfect from the back, but on the front it's a thread with little "bumps" (not sure what to call it, lol) where the thread from the back is wrapping over the thread from the top. Does this make sense?
Originally Posted by Charlee
Quilterguy, that's not a tension issue, that's your stitch length...try moving the lever on the front of the machine to the lowest position. All the way up is going to be reverse...