Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-13-2010, 05:23 AM

Hope you feel better soon Billy.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 AM

Hi, I am a newbie to collecting vintage sewing machines. Family thinks I lost my mind, but, I think the older machines are so much better than all the new ones. Don't get me wrong, I do have some that have all the bells and whistles, but, I still like the old ones. I have a Singer 401 and Singer 503A. They are both in cabinets. I would love to get a treadle machine. Today, we are supposed to go to some antique stores and maybe some thrift stores. I do have a question. What machines should I steer clear of? You see, I started to read this thread, I'm not very far in it yet, so, was wondering if there are some machines that are hard to get parts or needles for, or if the parts and needles are very pricey. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Laura
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
I'm seeeewwwww excited, I think I have found "The One". Well anyway for now today was my last shopping day for awhile as the garage is full. After a nap here is a long winded report.

Today I picked up three machines on a road trip to Los Angeles. My girlfriend came with me so it was a great day. We were going to run by the harp store for her but she voted to stop at the Apple store in Pasadena to look at Ipad. They are perty neat.

Oh, you guys want to know about the machines. I will tell you how the day went. First up was a hand crank in East LA. Kind of a scary part of town. We overcome my pitiful lack of speaking spanish and got Imeal to come down. He had brought the machine with him from Ecuador when he immigrated. Not sure why he would bring this with him but I'm glad he did. It is rusty and needle bar is zeized, but we will see what I can do with it. No markings or numbers on it. It appears the box is a handmade one, with a hand carved (more like chiseled) opening for the head.

Next was an area in North LA called Eagle Rock. What a wonderful little neighborhood. And Amy was a young woman that had rescued this machine while working on a documentary about an historic area of LA that was being razed. And not sure if it is just the best condition machine that I have purchased or the absolute dream it is to treadle. It is a labeled "The Free No 5", serial 5-5491. You get one rotation on the wheel and it will just continue to run. I am sure that will be different once there is the belt and it is hooked to the machine. I have not been through the drawers yet to figure out all that is in there. Too bad someone has silvered much of the front side decals. But I think she is beautiful. BTW Amy is going to send me some pictures of the home it was rescued from. I almost had to keep myself from jumping up and down and doing happy dance. But I am now that she is home. This one came directly into the house.

Last but not least on the way back south stopped in orange and picked up a White Rotary, serial FR 2601467, in a Twig cabinet. The wood needs some moisturizing and the girl needs some cleaning. Anyone have the letter "I" to go on the front panel? I will have to take some pictures of this one tomarrow.

All in all a wonderful day. I'm so excited about The Free.... not sure why but it is my favorite that I have found so far. :D :D :D :D
Here is the sister to your Free machine. Mine's name is Miss Cora. Got her from the granddaugther of the orginial owner. If you need a manual I can send you a copy of mine.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84859.jpe   attachment-84860.jpe   attachment-84861.jpe  
Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
Heres my new toy! Rob got it free from an antique guy who said it wasnt worth anything, lol! It is to me, I love the color, and it sews really nice. Can anyone tell me anything about it, I googled it, and cant find anything. Took forever to figure out how to thread it.
Love your machine! Can you see the simularities in this machine. Hubby bought this at a yard sale last weekend. Sews really good. Had trouble with it at first but found out after tinkering that the needle was in backwards. After that it took right off. Hope yours does just a well. Have fun.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84863.jpe   attachment-84864.jpe   attachment-84865.jpe  
Old 06-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Billy,
Hope you are feeling better. Do take care of yourself.

I have one small question for the group....how do you break the obsession????? I can't seem to stop acquiring machines. The latest in transit is a 201. Now looking at another 66....Geesh. I'm running out of floor space.

Hope everyone has a spectualar day.
Kat B
Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by Aurora
While strolling through a local Goodwill yesterday, I found a machine case sitting against the wall. I picked it up, although dusty, it was in near perfect condition. I just had to open it once it was on my cart. Inside, I found a Montgomery Ward 185, that also is almost like new, except for the bobbin winder tire which was cracked and oval in shape. It had about 30 needles, 7 bobbins, and the manual (good thing to, it was a sucker to thread).

After finally getting it threaded, it sewed a pretty good stitch, but I found it hard to get used to being threaded on the left end. The thread appears to be a little jerky on the uptake. I haven't searched for info yet. It was made in Japan and I am thinking maybe the 50's because of the case colors and materials. No photos at this time, camera committed suicide.
:lol: :lol: I shouldn't be laughing about your camera... I am sorry! Wow, can't wait to see you photos. How much did they charge you for your find? Congratulations.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Hi, I am a newbie to collecting vintage sewing machines. Family thinks I lost my mind, but, I think the older machines are so much better than all the new ones. Laura
Greetings Laura! We are all so glad that you have come to the shop and that you are just like the rest of us in our interest of the vintage machines. Oh, yeah! Most in our families think we have gone off the deep end... it comes with the virus. Oh, maybe you haven't heard there is a strong virus. You come down with it just before or right after you buy your first Vintage machine. And then, those wonderful pieces of machinery even jump in your vehicle and ride home with you... you don't even have to invite them! Did you get a cup of coffee yet? Or do you drink tea?

Be sure to post all the photos you want of your machines. We love looking at each other's finds.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM

My daughter rescued this treadle from a very dirty garage and gave it to me about 10 years ago. This is how my obsession started.

what kind of needles it will need?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84872[/ATTACH]

can anyone tell me about this machine
[ATTACH=CONFIG]84873[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-84866.jpe   attachment-84867.jpe   attachment-84868.jpe  
Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM

I'm a coffee drinker, have a cup right here. The 401 was given to me. The 503A I found at a rummage sale for $15. I also have a Singer Spartan 192K that I paid $20 for at a swap meet at a car show. It needed some cleaning up, but, it works really well. Now, I'm always looking for vintage machines. Even friends from the car club look for machines for me. One guy, his neighbor has some old machines, including treadles. I'm waiting for the guy to call me. Hopefully, before Wednesday. Thursday, we go to MN for a car show. I am really hooked on these old beauties. Waiting for dh to get ready to go to some antique shops. If I'm lucky, maybe a treadle will follow me home. Laura
Old 06-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kat B
Billy,
Hope you are feeling better. Do take care of yourself.

I have one small question for the group....how do you break the obsession????? I can't seem to stop acquiring machines. The latest in transit is a 201. Now looking at another 66....Geesh. I'm running out of floor space.

Hope everyone has a spectualar day.
Kat B
You hit the jackpot, the $64,000 question. I don't think anyone has posted instructions of 'how to', yet. We are heading out after church today to pick up an Eldridge machine. We are definitely running out of floor space Have to get creative. You enjoy your day also.