Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM

Well, I did it again. Last night I got another sewing machine. We went out with the car club for our Tuesday night dinner and a sewing machine followed me home. About a month ago one of the guys said that he had an old sewing machine in his basement. He was going to toss it out because he didn't think anyone would want it. I told him that I would take it. Last night, he brought it along with him. It needs a good cleaning. There are some attachments with it. The machine is a Singer 66 treadle. The alloted date is 1909. Pretty cool for being over 100 years old. Just had to share my good news

Model 66, Treadle, 1909
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170574[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170569.jpe  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Nice machine. Looks taken care of.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Lot of cleaning to do, but, it was pretty well taken care of. It belonged to the guys grandmother. He just wanted it out of the way. I was glad to take it off his hands. :D
Old 03-16-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Found: Adorable Mission Style cabinet with a "The Free" SM :) Judy
Judy, I love that cabinet too. never seen one like that before. Congratulations. :-)
Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Lot of cleaning to do, but, it was pretty well taken care of. It belonged to the guys grandmother. He just wanted it out of the way. I was glad to take it off his hands. :D
A Lotus nice machine. Should clean up nicely. These machines just seem to find us and then will not turn us loose. I have had them hid in the back of the truck.

That story above says it all.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by FarmStitcher
Nancy and Judy, sorry if I butted in......just had to tell you I like your finds! :oops:
Around here nobody butts in -- it is open to everyone -- glad you like the Frees!

Nancy
Old 03-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Nancy, it was easier for me to add a new pic of the Davis VF rather than look for the page. She's not purty but she sure does sew a good stitch.

Davis VF faceplate
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170576[/ATTACH]

Davis VF (lost most decals)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170577[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-170571.jpe   attachment-170572.jpe  
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Nancy that is a good question. If I had more space I wouldn't but unfortunately my sewing room seems to be getting smaller and smaller. Kinda like my dresser drawers; the cloths go in and then they come out a size smaller.

I even suggested to my DH that we might be able to hang SM's from the ceiling. Needless to say he didn't see the humor. lol. So my solution is to swap sewing machine heads in and out of the cabinets. It's a win-win. I don't have to respond to the question "so what are you going to do with that SM?" and I can use any of them that I want within minutes.

Judy
Well ok then! You were not getting rid of the Free, just needing a cabinet you can use all of them in! I understand your dilemma as my DH is now helping me re-do 3 cabinets! The Wilcox & Gibbs I have been struggling with is coming along great! Now I want to re-do my 1889 VS 2's cabinet, my Sphinx's cabinet, my Davis's cabinet! When we get done, where in heaven's name are we going to put them all!

Nancy
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM

Nancy, I have room at my house.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Sewing Machine Hoarders Beware !

A recent study has indicated that Sewing machines give off certain Pheromones, that
actually hypnotize people and cause them to purchase ungodly number of Sewing Machines.

When stored in large quantities, the Sewing Machine Pheromones cause memory loss (CRS) and induce the nesting syndrome (similar to squirrel behavior before the onset of winter, i.e. storing food). It's also been noted the same Pheromones cause a pathological need to secret these sewing machine purchases away when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing collection) and when asked by a significant other if the sewing machine is new, the reply is "Oh that, I've had it for a while".

Sound tests have also revealed that Sewing Machines emit a very high-pitched sound, heard only by a select few people .When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants "Buy me" ”Clean me” "Sew on me"!
Studies have also indicated that aliens have inhabited the earth, helping to spread
the effect that sewing machines have on the human population. They are called VSMS posters.

Modified to reflect SM Collectors
Un modified version can be viewed - http://www.quiltvisionusa.com/Jokes.html
(Originally published in August 1997 in the Western North Carolina Quilters Guild Newsletter) Written by Kathy (Smith) Harris, Tuscon AZ
I love this! It is so true!

Nancy