Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-12-2010, 08:40 AM

This is what I found last weekend!! Needs some work, but I cannot wait to clean her up and see how she runs. Went to the singer site, but couldn't figure out how to find her birthdate. Not real sauvy with the internet, I guess. Having a hard time reading the serial number. Maybe someone could help me out? thanks. Gonna try to post a picture. I have written the serial number down 4 times, with 4 different results, I think it is 10383818. It is hard to distinguish the 3's and the 8's.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-114436.jpe   attachment-114605.jpe  
Old 10-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by buslady
This is what I found last weekend!! Needs some work, but I cannot wait to clean her up and see how she runs. Went to the singer site, but couldn't figure out how to find her birthdate. Not real sauvy with the internet, I guess. Having a hard time reading the serial number. Maybe someone could help me out? thanks. Gonna try to post a picture. I have written the serial number down 4 times, with 4 different results, I think it is 10383818. It is hard to distinguish the 3's and the 8's.
I will have to look for you but you have an industrial treadle on your hands!!

Billy
Old 10-12-2010, 08:48 AM

No, it isn't a Minnesota it is a Minnehaha...anyway that is what is on it.

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Mary M
Has any one heard of a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. Done a search on Yhoo and didn't come up with anything.
You must mean a Minnesota machine?

Nancy
Old 10-12-2010, 09:10 AM

Is that "good" or "bad"?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
patdesign, I love your avatar! Is your pug taking sewing lessons?!? :lol:
Thanks her name is Roxie and so far she just gives them a good sniff, her sister Lily a silver pug eats anything including threaded needles, so they have been banished from the sewing room!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM

Wow I love the fiddle shaped base, looks like there would be plenty of space under that arm for a good size quilt. I have been looking for a 31-15 locally with the table and motor, as they have about a 10 inch arm space and I think I could use it for a quilter! :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:30 AM

No, it isn't a Minnesota it is a Minnehaha...anyway that is what is on it.

Has any one heard of a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. Done a search on Yhoo and didn't come up with anything.
You must mean a Minnesota machine?

Nancy
Would love to see a pix! :D
Old 10-12-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Remember me telling you guys about a 1887 Wheeler & Wilson that was for sale on Craigslist, but the guy was in the VA hospital so I couldn't see the machine?

Well, I got it today. His mother brought it over from Portugal in the 70's. The cabinet is in excellent shape. The machine also looks great for being 123 years old. The cabinet is a coffin top.

It says "Wheeler & Wilson W9" on the machine. Miz Johnny or Billy does that mean it uses the same needles as my Singer 9W? The 127x1 needles or the Boye 18?

I will try and get a picture posted tomorrow.

Nancy
The WW 8 uses a Boye #27, which is a round shank needle as opposed to the # 18 or 127 X 1, which has a flat shank. There are probably industrial needles which will work, but I can't tell you off-hand. If I find out, I will let you know.
Miz Johnny it says across the front Wheeler & Wilson and down the arm 'W9' doesn't that make it a 9W machine not a WW 8?

Billy already said it would use the same needles as the Singer 9W? I am confused?

Nancy
Billy is right. I got this post confused with another one talking about a W 8. Ignore me and go on!!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Minnehaha is listed as a badged Standard.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM

This is what I found last weekend!! Needs some work, but I cannot wait to clean her up and see how she runs.
I would love to see a picture of the front of the machine!!