Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-12-2010, 11:41 AM

Didn't realize i didn't do that ! She's kind of ugly, but with some cleaning and shining I think she will look much better. Billy says it is an industrial machine, and I agree it looks like it has a longer arm which will be nice to FMQ if i ever learn how. I think that cabinet is going to finish up great, it it huge when the leaves are up.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91174.jpe  
Old 10-12-2010, 12:54 PM

I need to be educated LOLWhat does badged Standard mean? Appreciate your help. Mary M

quote=Miz Johnny]
Originally Posted by Mary M
Has any one heard of a Minnehaha treadle sewing machine. Done a search on Yhoo and didn't come up with anything.
Minnehaha is listed as a badged Standard.[/quote]
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mary M
I need to be educated LOLWhat does badged Standard mean? Appreciate your help. Mary M
It means that the Standard Sewing Machine Company made the machine for someone else and they put their badge on the machine. It was and still is a very common practice with the sewing machine manufacturers. Kenmore, White, Universal, Minnesota, Franklin, are all examples of badged machines.

Billy
Old 10-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Didn't realize i didn't do that ! She's kind of ugly, but with some cleaning and shining I think she will look much better. Billy says it is an industrial machine, and I agree it looks like it has a longer arm which will be nice to FMQ if i ever learn how. I think that cabinet is going to finish up great, it it huge when the leaves are up.
Great cabinet!! Once she's clean, she'll be a bit prettier!
Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
This is what I found last weekend!! Needs some work, but I cannot wait to clean her up and see how she runs. Went to the singer site, but couldn't figure out how to find her birthdate. Not real sauvy with the internet, I guess. Having a hard time reading the serial number. Maybe someone could help me out? thanks. Gonna try to post a picture. I have written the serial number down 4 times, with 4 different results, I think it is 10383818. It is hard to distinguish the 3's and the 8's.
Well Buslady it really doesn't matter as far as age goes. A serial number of 9,810,000 to 10,629,999 means it is a 1891 machine. If the serial number is between 10,630,000 and 11,338,999 it is a 1892 machine! Either way it is at least 118 years old!

Please post another picture when it is cleaned up.

Nancy
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Lovely!! Could it be a singer model 13?
Old 10-12-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Love the site, just don't have the time to read almost 400 pgs at first swipe, so guess it will have to be a few at a time. I collect old machines, primarily the black Singers, but do have a few others which I call clones. I love to rescue and rehab them. I currently have about 40 in my collection, but at times past have had more. I now sell a few so that I can rescue more. You just cant bet the oldies but goodies!
Love the Pug on the Featherweight! Well, I feel better about my addiction! I have a long way to go before I get that many machines . . . although, I am on my way!

Nancy
Old 10-12-2010, 08:56 PM

My brother brought me a good surprise the other night. It is a black singer 301A. I had to take a plate off the bottom to find the serial number. NA256389. I would appreciate any information. It is very dirty, not much rust, and I am thinking that I will ship it to Billy so he can do some magic. The original footpedal is the only thing it came with. Thanks... Penni
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

I love the 301. I just bought another one myself -now I have 8 of them. They sew like a dream and are very easy to maintain. They were made in Anderson SC from the mid 50's to 1961. I guarantee you will really enjoy sewing on it because of the slant you can see your work so much easier. I would love to see a pic.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Enjoy seeing pics of everyones old "tyme machines" Here's mine that was stored in the top of a barn for years and I believe belonged to my great grandmother. It's in pretty bad shape but I'm so glad I found it. It had mysterious parts in the drawers and even had tinymetal spools with thread on it. I haven't had time to try to discover how old machine is or to discover purpose of each of the accesseries that were in the drawers. I hope to get it in as good repair as I can. oh the stories these old machines could tell!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-102402.jpe   attachment-102403.jpe   attachment-102404.jpe