Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-06-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Hello everyone!

I just brought home from a barn sale a Singer Model 503a.
I know, from this forum, that the 'a' just means it was manufactured in Anderson, South Carolina.

The machine is very cute, the Rocketeer style, but it had no attachments, no feet, no anything with it. I have been trying to pull up a manual or something with some information on this machine and all I found out is that it was manufactured between 1960 and 62; and that it is the last machine Singer made using all metal gears.

Does this machine have to have a 'cam' to even run at all? I found a blog that said 'don't run the 503a without a cam in it.' I am going to bid on a couple cams on e-bay, but in the meantime I don't want to hurt the machine by trying to run it without a cam.

Help!

Nancy
I think my celery colored Featherweight is a 1964 and it still has all metal parts.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight

Is that avatar machine what they call a Grasshopper? I would like to see a bigger picture of it. It looks very cute.
No, that is an old green SuperMatic. Nice old machine; takes cams and makes a good stitch.
The "Grasshopper" is the straight stitch Elna #1. I have one of those, too, and should haul it out and take a picture one of these days. Both the Super and Grasshopper came in metal cases that could be used as a table for the machine--they even have a cutout for the free arm.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Went to a yard sale today and didn't see any machines But......DH asked if she had any. Said she had her mothers machine in a barn. One thing led to another and we wound up in her barn. Next thing I know the machine is in the back of our truck wanting to go home with us. She was so dirty and full of mice nest and trash no wonder she didn't want to stay in that old cold barn. It snowed here today. The machine is a Singer 306K made in 1956. Here is a picture of her after Hubby vaccumed all the trash and gave her a bath. After all those years in a barn she still sews a nice straight stitch.

What a nice machine. She is lucky you found her. Just the mention of the mouse nest would be enough for me to run. Have fun with her!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Power Poster

I'll take one of my 301 over a Feather Weight any day. I have two 301s and 2 Feather Weights , a black on and a white one. They are very cute and 3/4 size. The 301 is really growing in popularity with many quilters. It is full size but you can still take it along. If you want to make bags and work with heavier fabrics have you thought of a 15-91? Very cute too but definitely not something you take along or move around the house much.

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Okay all you experts-

I have been thinking about Featherweights, but continually find myself drawn to 301s instead. So, I want some info from you all. I like a bigger, heavier machine, and like to make handbags out of vintage drapery fabric, so a little heavy duty is good for me.

I'm more drawn to the 301s, the more I see. And it appears they are pretty reasonable.

I'd like feedback!

I have a 1961 atlas (pink) which I love, and a Juki 98Q which I might have to have buried with me. She's my love, I think because she is a wonderful, no-nonsense, metal geared, straight stitch machine.

So I'm thinking a 301 is the right fit for my little family. Opinions?
Singer 15-91
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120073[/ATTACH]

Singer 301
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120074[/ATTACH]

Singer Feather Weight
[ATTACH=CONFIG]120075[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120068.jpe   attachment-120069.jpe   attachment-120070.jpe  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Is that avatar machine what they call a Grasshopper? I would like to see a bigger picture of it. It looks very cute.
No, that is an old green SuperMatic. Nice old machine; takes cams and makes a good stitch.
The "Grasshopper" is the straight stitch Elna #1. I have one of those, too, and should haul it out and take a picture one of these days. Both the Super and Grasshopper came in metal cases that could be used as a table for the machine--they even have a cutout for the free arm.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120071.jpe   attachment-120072.jpe  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:31 PM

Well it is sure pretty.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

Well it is sure pretty.
It sews like a dream. If you ever see one do not pass it up if it is affordable. DH said that it takes the Singer low shank attachments I think.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM

Just love the Grasshopper. Never have seen one in person. LOL
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts

Well it is sure pretty.
It sews like a dream. If you ever see one do not pass it up if it is affordable. DH said that it takes the Singer low shank attachments I think.
That is great. I sure wish the Featherweight and the 301 took the same attachments. It would make my life a lot easier...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:38 PM

I just looked up Elna Grasshopper on Ebay. They have 2 but they must not be the same year as I don't like them as well as yours. One is at 150.00 and one is buy it now for 295.00.