Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 650 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 150 550 600 640 649 650 651 660 700 750 1150 1650 ... LastLast
Results 16,226 to 16,250 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew wishful
    I've done hubby's bidding and mowed the grass. UGH! Doesn't he know I have important things to take care of??? LOL!
    I hear ya! Haven't gotten to my FW yet 'cuz I have "Other things" I have to do first". I don't have to mow today though... it is wayyyyyyy too windy here in the country to mow.... whew!

:D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Green Sphinx Update: Pictures ~ I talked the owner into letting me clean and polish her, so with her permission I am posting some pictures.

I compared the decals to my Sphinx and they are the same decal just tinted differently. I previously wondered if it could be like the Brown Lotus - paint color tint issue making it more rare???

Does anyone have any ideas? SN# C7770783 which indicates that it was manufactured in Prussia Germany - but the records have been lost.

Judy
    Judy Wow, at first glance I thought - reproduction - NOT! That machine is so pristine! It is a 127, made in Prussia sometime after 1908. I have not seen one that color -- all I can say is WOW and WOW. I wonder what Billy or Miz Johnny have to say? I wonder if it was repainted?

Nancy
    Nancy ~ I am sure it hasn't been repainted. The owner is 83 years old and said that it belonged to her mother. Her family came from a Dutch/German heritage so that fits. I would be interested in what Billy or Miz Johnny could add :) I've not seen one this color nor as nice... it's going to be hard to return but maybe she'll consider selling it sometime.

Judy

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by Honchey
    Hi Nancy, there's been conversation about "blackside" machines and I'm wondering about the "Singer 15" I picked up. You commented about it regarding the Potted vs bolted motors. Are there partial blackside machines? My 15 has the black tensioner ,stitch regulator and the handwheel is all black. the face plate and bobbin cover are chrome.. I think. Would this be considered a blackside? Anne
    No, the true blackside machines had all black throat plates, face plates, feet, etc. They were made during the war so the machines would not gleam, is what I was told. I think all blacksides are 99's, at least the ones I have seen are all 99's.

Nancy
    Actually they offered Blackside for all of their models and were made up into the early 50's. I have seen a 15, 99, 128 (the most common one seen) and a Featherweight. But your almost right about the reason for the finish Nancy, it was because Nickle was in high demand by the government so they offered the Blackside models to help with the war effort. But you could still get nickle plated machines during the era.

Billy
    Hi, My 15 was made in 1950 and it also has a black threadcutter. I was just very curious. Anne
    Anne I think most of the thread cutters were blackside finish but I may be wrong. There is a member here that has a 15 that is a Blackside.

Billy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shnnn
    I am looking at a Kenmore 158.1503 on ebay. Right now with shipping it's at about $75. Looks to be in decent shape, and has a few cams included. Does this seem reasonable (considering I'm in the middle of nowhere and shipping is $44)? And, is it possible to buy other cams to get more stitches?
    I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kenmore-Mini-Sew...item2a10bc59fa

Nancy

I will post pictures of my new machine tomorrow! I have to get ready for Girls Night Out! Kathie, I will bring the new machine in for you to see tonight!

Blog Entries
    I will post pictures of my new machine tomorrow! I have to get ready for Girls Night Out! Kathie, I will bring the new machine in for you to see tonight![/quote]

Girls Night Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Girls 8-)

Blog Entries
    BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Thought I might show off my Japan 15 Clone. She looks very similar to a Necchi but without decals. Very shinny, sews wonderfully, and came with a box of attachments :)

I don't know, call me crazy, but everytime I look at her, she reminds me of the classic "little black dress" - so that is what I call her.

Judy
    Judy, I love your "little black dress," and I hate to say this, but why do you think it is a 15 clone? The 15 clones have the tension disk on the face plate just like a Model 15. Is that machine the size of a 99? What are the demensions of the machine? Anyway, it is a really cute machine and I certainly am not trying to put the machine down it is really cute for sure! It actually reminds me of a 301!

Nancy

After looking at it again, I can see why you thought it was a 15 clone, except for the tension disk, it does look like a 15.
    Nancy ~ the dimensions are 14 1/2" X 7". I really didn't know how to classify it because it has similar parts to several different models. Now that you point out the tension disk, I agree it's more like a 66. (Hmmm - makes me wonder what happened to my brain cells and eye sight when I turned 50??)

Irishrose - Thank you for the leads on Jolson and Nelco. I did a quick google search and didn't find any photo's that resemble my SM but I will do some further research.

Judy

Blog Entries
    I was born in Jackson, MS, my parents moved to New Orleans when I was two. I've been here ever since. I have only been back twice, the last time when we evacuated there due to a hurricane.

Lucy

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Anne I think most of the thread cutters were blackside finish but I may be wrong. There is a member here that has a 15 that is a Blackside.

Billy
    I had this weird triangular shaped thing on the back of the piece that holds the needle in on my 66. Is it a thread cutter or is it just there for some type of decoration?

Blog Entries
    Kitzone, look at this picture of the Necchi BU and note the similarities to your 'Little Black Dress."

Necchi BU
    Name:  Attachment-200216.bmp
Views: 151
Size:  208.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Yesterday, at Goodwill, I found a Necchi, model no. 536FB. It's in good condition and has a desktype cabinet with three large drawers. I couldn't check the stitch, but it runs very well. Can anyone tell me what year it was made? Thanks, Lucy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Kitzone, look at this picture of the Necchi BU and note the similarities to your 'Little Black Dress."
    Irishrose ~ They do look exactly alike except mine does not have the Necchi name on it. It is completely black except the chrome parts. There are numbers imprinted in the chrome and on the stitch regulator there is the letters "AV". No other indicators except a Serial Number on the bottom under the bed. Interesting??

I remember you posted a comment on how well she sews and I agree, "my little black dress" sews so nicely.

Judy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luce321
    Yesterday, at Goodwill, I found a Necchi, model no. 536FB. It's in good condition and has a desktype cabinet with three large drawers. I couldn't check the stitch, but it runs very well. Can anyone tell me what year it was made? Thanks, Lucy
    Is it a "Made in Italy" machine or somewhere else? I ask because I think it's the Yahoo Necchi group who has info about what years the made in Italy machines were manufactured but they cannot help with any other Necchis manufactured elsewhere as they don't have the information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luce321
    Does it have any plastic parts? I have a Necchi Nora with a broken stitch regulator - it was about the only plastic on the machine... I keep thinking parts. It is a beautiful machine. Broke my heart to not be able to get that part. Very well made other than that plastic thing.... No stitch control. I gave a Necchi I loved to my DD's friend a while back - she needed it to make baby clothes. I had a third newer Necchi nobody liked at all - we decided it was because you had to strain your neck to see what you were doing and it chugged very slow. I think it matters how the nose is shaped whether or not you can see what you are doing. Get a flashlight and shine it inside the machine - look and see if there is any plastic in weird places. or cracked plastic parts. On the Necchi Nora the bobbin unit zigzags instead of the needle. The later ones zig zag with the needle moving side to side. I've seen some old Kenmore's that the bobbin shuttle was the zig zag, too. I think the one we liked had a lot of decorative stitches and the one we disliked was more basic with just a couple stitches.

Blog Entries
    luce321, my understanding is that Necchi didn't keep very good records. If yours says, "Made in Italy" you can join the Yahoo group for some info. The best I could find out about mine was that it is pre 1950 because it has a VN, not just a N. Then the block N was modernized and that's another marker, but I don't the year on that. My number 600630 and it's a BF, so it only straight stitches.

Mpeters1200

Yes, that triangle thing is a thread cutter, have the same thing on mine. Lee

Went garage saleing today, picked up a 404 with a desk type cabinet, accessories, orginal manual and Zig Zag with the cams and book, all in pretty good shape. Desk needs some work. $15 Gotta shop doing this someday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    Went garage saleing today, picked up a 404 with a desk type cabinet, accessories, orginal manual and Zig Zag with the cams and book, all in pretty good shape. Desk needs some work. $15 Gotta shop doing this someday.
    my choice for the GD's! Wonderful little machine - Those should so NOT be overlooked. They are about the same size as the 301 and don't have the annoying bobbin shuttle.

Blog Entries
    luce321, my understanding is that Necchi didn't keep very good records. If yours says, "Made in Italy" you can join the Yahoo group for some info. The best I could find out about mine was that it is pre 1950 because it has a VN, not just a N. Then the block N was modernized and that's another marker, but I don't the year on that. My number 600630 and it's a BF, so it only straight stitches.
    Newer Necchi machines were made in Japan. I think it is a crap shoot whether one is any good or not. I think they made some for Sears too. Necchi and Elna pooled talent at some point too. I have a Necchi foot control on my Elna - works. I think you want a high end OLD Necchi if you want a Necchi unless you are just collecting machines.

I was wondering how you post in the vintage machine shop area?I have an opportunity to get a singer 29k2 it has a very long arm,just wanted to know if you can quilt a fmotion with it?I can find pictures but know info as to what it all can do.thank you for your help

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Newer Necchi machines were made in Japan. I think it is a crap shoot whether one is any good or not. I think you want a high end OLD Necchi if you want a Necchi unless you are just collecting machines.
    I have 2 BUs. Both are good machines. Only straight stitch but will sew through just about anything. The first seller gave me a demo on the machine of what his DGM used to sew. She sewed leather and so did he and then proceeded to do some pieceing with 100% cotton fabric. Moved easily between the two and he used the same needle. I wouldn't have but he did to demo the machine and try to make a selling point. Both of my serial #s begin with "U" and both made somewhere before 1953 I think. They might be pre-1950s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amBoo
    I have a white featherweight that is missing the red S badge. Is it possible to get a replacement for it?

Nancy
    there is one for sale on ebay right now. I bought one from the seller because I had the same problem and it arrived looking great. Makes my white FW look all dressed up and ready to sew! seller is "comesewwithme", item number: 270752686501
    Jane

Banned
    Wow You guys have been posting away!! I just hopped on and I had to read 20 something pages. I have been in the studio working away trying to get a few more machines done so I can get caught up as such and I found out my A/C went out. Well the fan motor is toast so I have to pull it out and get another motor for it and then put it back in. But it got toasty in there to say the least.

So since it will be raining tomorrow I am going to install my new ceiling fan and get a few more machines torn down ready for a repaint.

I will be glad when I can come in here and spend some time with you guys I really miss being in here. But I have to take care of business first before I can play. :|

Billy

I have a Necchi SuperNova I think the motor is going bad on it. Can you still get motors for these? Will another motor from a different Necchi work? May seem like a strange question but I love the machine and really hate to gid rid of her. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I saw on line that the 401G can be hooked up to a treadle because of the openings in the base - it would need a different balance wheel though - there is info on line:
    German Singer 401G:
    http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/index.htm

and

making it a treadle:
    http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/401G-...d-Electric.htm

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to treadle mine - that would be the BOMB!! I wonder where to get a balance wheel like that? Could one be made?

more on the 400G series
    Same website different page
    http://www.toolfool.org/sewing/German-400.htm
    Thanks for posting this information! Very interesting all the variations to the same machine.

I purchased a Singer 238k that I have in treadle now. It had option of belt drive motor or treadle. To set up for treadle, all I did was take the belt off the motor and set a treadle belt on the wheel that it came with ( balance wheel with groove for treadle belt). I never thought that I would possibly need to change the wheels because of gears. After reading this blog, I started to wonder if that is needed for my machine too, even if it has a wheel with groove. But if so, too late now since the machine works in the treadle with the wheel that I have.

Thanks for posting this information. It would be fun to find a 401 to treadle, but if you can't locate a 401 then you may want to hunt for a Singer 328K. Have fun!