Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 652 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 152 552 602 642 651 652 653 662 702 752 1152 1652 ... LastLast
Results 16,276 to 16,300 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #16276
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Wow You guys have been posting away!! I just hopped on and I had to read 20 something pages. I have been in the studio working away trying to get a few more machines done so I can get caught up as such and I found out my A/C went out. Well the fan motor is toast so I have to pull it out and get another motor for it and then put it back in. But it got toasty in there to say the least.

    So since it will be raining tomorrow I am going to install my new ceiling fan and get a few more machines torn down ready for a repaint.

    I will be glad when I can come in here and spend some time with you guys I really miss being in here. But I have to take care of business first before I can play. :|

    Billy
    Billy, maybe things will settle down some day around your house and you won't have to be repairing the house all the time! Geeze, after going through all the weird weather you guys had and all the trees, etc., down - how dare the A/C decide to go out now too!

    Nancy

  2. #16277
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by olebat
    While trying to pass the time in the hospital, following a total knee replacement, I kept-up as much of my computer routine as possible, which meant watching CL in several near-by cities. Lo and behold, a Singer 301 for $150. I promptly e-mailed, explained my situation, and asked the seller if the machine could be held while I arranged for someone to pick it up in my behalf. Multiple e-mails to seller and friend and finally got a message from the friend, "Got it."

    I'm home now, and can't wait to see the friend and the new machine. I can do the upper body happy dance, the lower bod will have to wait a while.
    I am sorry to hear you had to have surgery, but everyone I know that had a knee replacement wished they hadn't waited so long to get it done!

    On a happy note, congratulations for the new 301!

    Nancy

  3. #16278
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

    Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.
    Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

    Nancy

  4. #16279
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    BoJangles wrote: "I just picked up a Kenmore 3/4 size machine Model 158.10400 for $5 from a swap meet. It is in great shape -- looks exactly like this machine on e-bay without all the gunk in the bobbin area! Has attachments, case and all, but this machine does not take cams? So what does the 158.1503 you are looking at look like?"

    Those little 3/4 size are NICE. My sister has one - uses it in an RV - they do a couple basic stitches & pretty simple to work. Some where I thought I saw they were made by Jaguar. I've used hers it's pretty gutsy for it's size. It does have two belts. One on the side and one underneath. They are small but heavy.
    Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

    Nancy
    Yeah, hers is the cute little bugger. She might know more about them than I do. My sister is in Arizona and she might be able to be of more help than I would be. I worked on hers a year ago.

    When I work on one I find... the first thing I do is tear it down and clean old dead oil out of any moving part with kerosene - careful of anything plastic, belts, wires & motors - OLD DEAD OIL is probably a lot of the problem - don't force anything to move until you do that - any rust? Go over it as many times as it takes. Then reassemble and new SEWING MACHINE oil only. I don't know if that machine has any plastic parts but always look and see if they are broken and be careful when cleaning them. Are the belts ok?

  5. #16280
    Junior Member Kitzone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    212
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm
    Monica ~ Love your quilt! And would you mind sharing how you sew your binding on? My mother makes round pot holders but she does not like putting the binding on so she deligates that task to me. Your decorative stitches would look great and might save me some time :)

    Judy

  6. #16281
    Member jan on 446's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    MI's Beautiful Upper Peninsula
    Posts
    91
    Vintage Motif
    The Boy Scout quilt is wonderful. You did a fantastic job.
    I know he will cherish it.
    Jan on 446

  7. #16282
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Quote Originally Posted by lee231
    Mpeters1200

    Yes, that triangle thing is a thread cutter, have the same thing on mine. Lee
    Ok. I wonder if it's dull or I'm not using it right. Do you pull the thread into it and then down the edge to cut? I'm going to dig out my manual today and see if there's something in it.

    Thanks for the reply!

  8. #16283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Okay here is something pretty interesting, I worked on a 66-1 last week and when I polished out the badge I noticed something different about it. The badge was made of Copper! Out of more than 200+ Singers I have worked on I have never seen a copper badge. I really liked the different color of the badge and now I am on the lookout for one as we speak.

    So I am wondering how many of you have machines with the copper badges on them and if yours has one what model and year is it?

    Billy

  9. #16284
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,743
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Wow You guys have been posting away!! I just hopped on and I had to read 20 something pages....

    I will be glad when I can come in here and spend some time with you guys I really miss being in here. But I have to take care of business first before I can play. :|

    Billy
    Nice to hear from you again. But, did you have to make it so plain that we are 'playing'???

    I say that because I have been spending sewwww much time on here, "I" haven't been getting anything done.

    Well, that is... as soon as I get my FW up and running again. That will be for another post.
    :-D

  10. #16285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Nice to hear from you again. But, did you have to make it so plain that we are 'playing'???

    I say that because I have been spending sewwww much time on here, "I" haven't been getting anything done.

    Well, that is... as soon as I get my FW up and running again. That will be for another post.
    :-D
    Nothing wrong with playing around but between the house repairs on 2 homes and now my daughters house (5' of water in that one for almost 2 weeks) and working on the machine backlog I have I am looking forward to playing around!!


    Billy

  11. #16286
    Member jpete523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    93
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Okay here is something pretty interesting, I worked on a 66-1 last week and when I polished out the badge I noticed something different about it. The badge was made of Copper! Out of more than 200+ Singers I have worked on I have never seen a copper badge. I really liked the different color of the badge and now I am on the lookout for one as we speak.

    So I am wondering how many of you have machines with the copper badges on them and if yours has one what model and year is it?
    Hi Billy, Can you tell us how to tell if the badge is copper? Jan
    Billy

  12. #16287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    I can tell by just looking at it after it is polished. Brass is a gold color and Copper is a Peachy pink in color like your copper pots and pans or a new penny.

    Billy

  13. #16288
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
    I have a Necchi SuperNova I think the motor is going bad on it. Can you still get motors for these? Will another motor from a different Necchi work? May seem like a strange question but I love the machine and really hate to gid rid of her. :)
    SnowQuilt, Although I've not done this on a Necchi, I don't know why you couldn't perform a motorectomy.... Depending


    Judy
    When researching treadling zig-zag machines, I came across someone's blog that had photo of a pink Necchi Supernova in treadle. You may want to give that a try too.

  14. #16289
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Billy sorry to hear that your daughter's home has 5 feet of water.

  15. #16290
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

    Nancy

    When I work on one I find... the first thing I do is tear it down and clean old dead oil out of any moving part with kerosene - careful of anything plastic, belts, wires & motors - OLD DEAD OIL is probably a lot of the problem - don't force anything to move until you do that - any rust? Go over it as many times as it takes. Then reassemble and new SEWING MACHINE oil only. I don't know if that machine has any plastic parts but always look and see if they are broken and be careful when cleaning them. Are the belts ok?
    Yep, did all that! I actually spent 2.5 hours last night at our monthly Girls Night Out cleaning thread out of a FW that would not sew! It had probably 12 inches of thread wrapped in and around the hook/race! I didn't get to spend as much time as I had hoped on my new Kenmore, but I did take it apart and clean and oil it. I always do that first. The machine is not rusty anywhere. After soaking the wheel/clutch with oil all morning, my DH finally got the clutch to turn -- it was just screwed on so tight he was afraid he'd break it by forcing the clutch! Now he has the machine taken apart trying to figure out why it won't do the zag part of the zig! He said someone has messed with the machine - he got it finally to sewed in the middle position, which will be nice as I want the grandkids to be able to use this machine because it has a reverse, but it still won't zig zag. Still working on the machine! I don't give up easily on a machine!~

    Nancy

  16. #16291
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Miriam, is your sister's machine the little 158.104? I took the machine to Girls' Night Out last night to clean and use the machine. It will sew, it was pretty clean, but I can't get the needle out of the right hand position. I found a manual on-line last night that mentions nothing about being able to change the needle position so I think the needle is stuck in the right zig of the zig zag. The machine will stitch a straight stitch with the needle on the right side, but it won't do a zig zag. Nothing appears broken, the machine looks really good, but I know that needle should move over to the middle. There is a single hole needle plate with the machine and a straight stitch foot -- neither can be used now - needle would hit. I have the zig zag foot and zig zag plate on now. I also can't get the clutch to disengage to wind a bobbin. I wound the bobbin with the needle going ninety miles an hour, but I can't turn the wheel to disengage the needle so the bobbin winder can wind. In the manual I printed out, some of the 158's had the push in wheel to disengage the needle, some had the wheel that turns! Mine does not push in, should turn, but does neither? Any suggestions? I am not familiar with the Kenmore machines!

    Nancy

    When I work on one I find... the first thing I do is tear it down and clean old dead oil out of any moving part with kerosene - careful of anything plastic, belts, wires & motors - OLD DEAD OIL is probably a lot of the problem - don't force anything to move until you do that - any rust? Go over it as many times as it takes. Then reassemble and new SEWING MACHINE oil only. I don't know if that machine has any plastic parts but always look and see if they are broken and be careful when cleaning them. Are the belts ok?
    Yep, did all that! I actually spent 2.5 hours last night at our monthly Girls Night Out cleaning thread out of a FW that would not sew! It had probably 12 inches of thread wrapped in and around the hook/race! I didn't get to spend as much time as I had hoped on my new Kenmore, but I did take it apart and clean and oil it. I always do that first. The machine is not rusty anywhere. After soaking the wheel/clutch with oil all morning, my DH finally got the clutch to turn -- it was just screwed on so tight he was afraid he'd break it by forcing the clutch! Now he has the machine taken apart trying to figure out why it won't do the zag part of the zig! He said someone has messed with the machine - he got it finally to sewed in the middle position, which will be nice as I want the grandkids to be able to use this machine because it has a reverse, but it still won't zig zag. Still working on the machine! I don't give up easily on a machine!~

    Nancy
    If the needle goes back and forth to zig zag there might be a race stuck up with oil in the needle bar area - I've had that happen - a little heat from a blow dryer on that area might soften it up a bit (don't use heat if it's plastic)

  17. #16292
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitzone
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Here is my latest quilt, Eagle Scout quilt, that I pieced with my Eldredge Two Spools, quilted with Singer 201K, attached binding with Davis NVF, and finished off with decorative stitch from Singer 238K- all in treadles. I love my vintage machines and treadling them!

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-124834-1.htm
    Monica ~ Love your quilt! And would you mind sharing how you sew your binding on? My mother makes round pot holders but she does not like putting the binding on so she deligates that task to me. Your decorative stitches would look great and might save me some time :)

    Judy
    I machine sew all my bindings on since I dislike hand sewing. Funny thing is that I baste all my quilts using the Sharon Schamber method; don't mind that type of hand sewing since it is quick and gets removed.

    Well, I now have the Davis NVF machine (walking foot machine) for attaching bindings and the machine is awesome for this. But before I acquired the Davis, I would just attach the bindings on with my Singer 201 or 15-90. I would use my walking foot and I did have some difficulty keeping things even, but then I discovered Sharon Schamber's glue method of attaching the binding down. That worked even better, but the best method for attaching that I have found is my Davis NVF.

    Since I don't like the look of the straight-stitch line on the finished binding, I decided to use the decorative stitches to finish off and soften the look. At first I was using just one decorative stitch from my daughters Janome TB30 as a signature stitch, but I got bored with just the one stitch. I started using the other decorative stitches.

    Then I saw that zig-zag machines can be treadled and my hunt was one for a machine with decorative stitching capability to use in treadle. So, I now use my Singer 328K for the decorative stitches. I do some test runs on small mock-ups to see how the stitch looks, but once that is done all goes quickly.

    I think the decorative stitches would look so cute on the potholders. You gave me an idea for presents this Christmas, quilted potholders made from the fabric scraps. Thanks!

  18. #16293
    Member jpete523's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    93
    Blog Entries
    2
    Hi Billy,

    I'm so sorry to hear about the water in your daughter's house. If you have a minute would you please try to answer a question for me? I have a Singer 99K manufactured in Scotland with an allotment date of September 5, 1951. It does not have a Centennial badge on it, just a brass (copper?) outlined in black. What I'd like to know is do all machines manufactured in the Centennial timeframe have the distinctive badge or maybe it's only the machines made in America? I called Singer and they couldn't answer me. Maybe the Guru knows?
    Jan

  19. #16294
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    While browsing in an antique shop today I came across some Singer buttonholers. Both are complete sets, including manuals. One has the Singer Brand on it, it's manual has a 1948 copyright, and it is priced at $7.50. The second one is in a Singer case, has a manual distributed by Singer, a 1956 copyright, but the brand name on the buttonholer & manual is Griest. It's price is $15.00.

    What I'm wondering is if either one of these will work for my Featherweight and/or 15-91? If yes, which one would you get?
    Anyone know anything about Singer Buttonholers????

  20. #16295
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,409
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    While browsing in an antique shop today I came across some Singer buttonholers. Both are complete sets, including manuals. One has the Singer Brand on it, it's manual has a 1948 copyright, and it is priced at $7.50. The second one is in a Singer case, has a manual distributed by Singer, a 1956 copyright, but the brand name on the buttonholer & manual is Griest. It's price is $15.00.

    What I'm wondering is if either one of these will work for my Featherweight and/or 15-91? If yes, which one would you get?
    Anyone know anything about Singer Buttonholers????
    Griest made a lot of attachments! There are short shank and slant shank button holers. There are some for zig zag and some for straight - For a FW or a 15-91 you need a short shank straight stitch. They have the template load from the bottom. If you have a manual you can make it work. (I posted pictures of the difference earlier on this topic.) The prices are in line. The 1948 will fit either machine. My mom has a really old button holer for her FW I've never figured out how to work it - there are no templates - just a bunch of screw settings.

  21. #16296
    Super Member QuiltnCowgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Calif (San Joaquin Valley)
    Posts
    3,591
    Blog Entries
    6
    Thank you! I went back & found your previous posts, plus an Etsy site I found when I googled. The price for either one is great as compared to the ones I found on Etsy. I think I just may go back later today & pick up the 1948 one.

  22. #16297
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    My neighbor heard that I collect and use vintage machines, so she was kind enough yesterday to give me a machine with stool, and attachments for free. She doesn't sew. It had been a friend's mom machine; decease mom had been a seamstress with numerous machines.

    Heehee it's a Singer 758, electric. :roll:
    I told her that I treadle, but I would rescue the machine from her. I felt I had Christmas in May! :P
    I had been keeping an eye out for a vintage stool to use with the Singer 201 in my living room, but gave up on that. So, the stool found me. Along with machine came attachments that can be use for my Singer 201, and 15-90 (and a future FW if I ever go in that direction). There was also a Student's Manual of Machine Sewing Singer, way cool!
    Attached Images Attached Images



  23. #16298
    Senior Member incoming2me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    My neighbor heard that I collect and use vintage machines, so she was kind enough yesterday to give me a machine with stool, and attachments for free. .....
    Along with machine came attachments that can be use for my Singer 201, and 15-90 (and a future FW if I ever go in that direction). There was also a Student's Manual of Machine Sewing Singer, way cool!
    Great gift!
    Those zigzag and blind stitch attachments are wonderful finds!
    They look brand new. :)

  24. #16299
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by incoming2me
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    My neighbor heard that I collect and use vintage machines, so she was kind enough yesterday to give me a machine with stool, and attachments for free. .....
    Along with machine came attachments that can be use for my Singer 201, and 15-90 (and a future FW if I ever go in that direction). There was also a Student's Manual of Machine Sewing Singer, way cool!
    Great gift!
    Those zigzag and blind stitch attachments are wonderful finds!
    They look brand new. :)
    Yes! They do all look brand new. I was so surprised when I open the large box holding the items and saw all the attachment boxes. I now have more attachments to discover how they work and play with!

  25. #16300
    Super Member SewExtremeSeams's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    7,743
    Blog Entries
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    …Along with machine came attachments that can be use for my Singer 201, and 15-90 (and a future FW if I ever go in that direction). There was also a Student's Manual of Machine Sewing Singer, way cool!

    Can it be true... are you saying that attachments for a Singer 15-90 can be used on a FW? How about for a 15-91? I have a 15-91 and a FW and attachments for both. However, I think I have more attachments for my 15-91

    :-D

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.