Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 PM

That is a cool looking machine!!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by featherweight

Is that avatar machine what they call a Grasshopper? I would like to see a bigger picture of it. It looks very cute.
No, that is an old green SuperMatic. Nice old machine; takes cams and makes a good stitch.
The "Grasshopper" is the straight stitch Elna #1. I have one of those, too, and should haul it out and take a picture one of these days. Both the Super and Grasshopper came in metal cases that could be used as a table for the machine--they even have a cutout for the free arm.
Anna, I really most say this, 'you a very blessed women to have a home for such beautiful machines. One day I will home some just like them. Beautiful, beautiful machines.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
OT. Just want to say that I love the new avatars of Billy and Featherweight; both have their beautiful quilts. Thanks!
I had the same thought, but I was out of town for a few days and come back to peek my head in the shop and see all these changes (for the good), it's all beautiful.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I just changed my avatar picture. Its a double sawtooth star quilt top, made with my Singer 201K treadle. Its almost
all pieced now, just 2 more blocks to finish and then it needs borders.
Sharon W.
And it's beautiful, also, I think you guys wait until I take off to do something different to post your beautiful changes.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Sometimes I wish these old machines could tell us a story. Your machine just came close to telling you about it's self. But, some of them I wonder how many people owned them and were they really taken care of. Also what a hard ship it might have been for the owner to buy them because back in the day money was really tight. Somewhere I have a picture of a family posing in the front yard of an old soddy house around 1880's and sitting beside them was an old singer sewing machine which shows what they thought about them back then to include it in the family portrait. Probably was the most valuable thing they had besides a cow and a horse. I'll have to find the picture and post it.
Please do!
Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 AM

Billy, is this what you mean by a modified bobbin case for the 306k? It was like this when I got it but kinda rough so DH smoothed it out.

bobbin case out of 306k
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121458[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121453.jpe  
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Billy, is this what you mean by a modified bobbin case for the 306k? It was like this when I got it but kinda rough so DH smoothed it out.
I will have to draw out what the notch looks like but it opens up on both sides.

Billy
Old 11-08-2010, 07:54 AM

I found the picture. I think it's so neat to include the sewing machine in the picture. Also see who it sits next to. :)

Isn't that a fine family
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121464[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121459.jpe  
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I will have to draw out what the notch looks like but it opens up on both sides.

Billy
I went back and put the correct needle in and the needle is hitting the gizmo that the bobbin case fits into rather than the bobbin case cause I turned the wheel without the bobbin case installed.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I found the picture. I think it's so neat to include the sewing machine in the picture. Also see who it sits next to. :)
OMG. What a trophy. He is so proud that he could provide his family with a sewing machine...