Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM

Sometimes I wish these old machines could tell us a story. Your machine just came close to telling you about it's self. But, some of them I wonder how many people owned them and were they really taken care of. Also what a hard ship it might have been for the owner to buy them because back in the day money was really tight. Somewhere I have a picture of a family posing in the front yard of an old soddy house around 1880's and sitting beside them was an old singer sewing machine which shows what they thought about them back then to include it in the family portrait. Probably was the most valuable thing they had besides a cow and a horse. I'll have to find the picture and post it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

Jade that is some interesting history indeed!! I can not wait to see what the photos look like when you get them developed.

But I was bopping around on CL and guess what I get to bring home tomorrow.........

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121261.jpe   attachment-121262.jpe  
Old 11-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Okay anyone in the Buffalo NY area you need to jump on this one FAST!! It needs work but it a high dollar piece once it is refinished and running.

Ebay #180582103980

Billy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Jade that is some interesting history indeed!! I can not wait to see what the photos look like when you get them developed.

But I was bopping around on CL and guess what I get to bring home tomorrow.........

Billy
Very cool! Congratulations on new baby!!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Love the quilts used as your Avatar. Billy, Sharon W., & Featherweight.

Happy sewing,
Sandi
I agree, and I love the bed Billy has his quilt on -- it looks like a vintage bed too!

Nancy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy
Wow Billy what kind of machine and how old is it?

Nancy
Old 11-07-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
Billy this is so exciting I found some treasures in a secret drawer of my white sewing machine!!! Today I picked up my new treadle and was looking though all the drawers when I found it has 2 secret drawers!! I opened the first one and didn't see anything then I opened the second one and Oh my goodness!! It had 6 negatives from 1900's and an old Social security card from a gentleman and from the same man his withdrawl card from 1918 from an electrical union in Washington state!! The photos are from a logging camp one of them shows 3 men with the very long saws and a downed tree the others are from the camp itself!!! I am so excited to see these there were also 2 obituarys from what we think were friends of the owners one lady was married in 1884 and moved to Tacoma Wa this machine was definatly from my state what an amazing story to tell. I also found 4 old needles not used for my machine!!!! I will send pictures once we get the negatives developed!
This is fasinating! You should keep everything you found in this machine, with the machine for the future treasurer hunters!

Nancy
Old 11-07-2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

You really need to try it--you won't want to go back to an electric for piecing.
Miz Johnny, I am going to try piecing on a treadle. . . . well sort of piecing. I took a "Finish your Block of the Month" class today and this looks like the perfect project to complete on a treadle. I usually finish all my BOM quilts, but I have two that somehow didn't get done. This class breaks the blocks down into workable sections, which would be easy to do on the treadle. I am going to give it a go and get a couple UFO's done on a treadle . . . . . maybe not before Christmas, but as soon as Christmas is over!

I love my treadles! I also am in love with my newest edition to this family - my 1960 503a Slant-O-Matic! I got it all cleaned up today and found that it has one cam - so I sewed with her! She runs perfect!

Nancy
Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Deara
Love the quilts used as your Avatar. Billy, Sharon W., & Featherweight.

Happy sewing,
Sandi
I agree, and I love the bed Billy has his quilt on -- it looks like a vintage bed too!

Nancy
Far from vintage I bought it for my son when he was 8 years old. I loved the wrought iron and the rusted type of textured finish that is on it. You should see my daughters bedroom suit, it is a Paul Bunyan set and the mattress sits over 36" off of the floor and you have two sets of steps to get into the bed with. The head and foot boards weigh over 150 lbs each! Heck the post of them are 10" in diameter and the finials are at least 14" in diameter. The damn thing is King size and HUGE!!

Of Course she wants Daddy to make her a quilt for it........ :roll: :lol:

Billy
Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Wow Billy what kind of machine and how old is it?

Nancy

I believe it is a badged Wilcox and Gibbs and is from the 1870's to 1880's. Some one added the electric motor sometime in its life but I will put it in a treadle before its over with. In fact I think someone made the case for it too, but I will see when I bring it home and do some research on it. But the decals are near perfect for that machine!!

Billy