Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 603 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 103 503 553 593 602 603 604 613 653 703 1103 1603 ... LastLast
Results 15,051 to 15,075 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

  1. #15051
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    I know you are going to love her. Mine have worn out drive wheels - they are inside the balance wheel. Sometimes when it gets warmed up they just spin and the machine won't go. There is info on line how to fix it though. Those knee controllers did not all fold - some were straight - you might look for a black smith to make one.
    Thanks, Miriam. I do need the folding one, not the bayonet one. I will be spending some time with her this summer, I hope. Her name is Kitten...no reason, just sort of fit her! I'll let you know when I work on her...I'll probably be looking for some help!! :-)

  2. #15052
    Super Member mpeters1200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    1,624
    Well, the side winder worked and I got my bobbin wound....course that was after I spent 30 minutes taking all the thread that was already in it out. Gees.

    I got my walking foot on ok, but I think I broke the machine first time I used her by myself. I really hope I didn't. There's this little hoop of metal that goes on the top of the shaft that holds the thread. It flung right off as soon as I put the walking foot on. I tried to take as many pictures as I can. There's a little hole in it, like where a screw would go, but no screw that I could find. Course, I couldn't figure out how to get it back on the shaft either. You guys have any suggestions?

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0116.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0120.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0117.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0118.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0119.jpg[/IMG]

    I have no idea how to get it back on there....or how it flung off in the first place!

  3. #15053
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    a black smith could make a hinged one but it would cost as much to buy a used one. I think mine is straight.

  4. #15054
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    Well, the side winder worked and I got my bobbin wound....course that was after I spent 30 minutes taking all the thread that was already in it out. Gees.

    I got my walking foot on ok, but I think I broke the machine first time I used her by myself. I really hope I didn't. There's this little hoop of metal that goes on the top of the shaft that holds the thread. It flung right off as soon as I put the walking foot on. I tried to take as many pictures as I can. There's a little hole in it, like where a screw would go, but no screw that I could find. Course, I couldn't figure out how to get it back on the shaft either. You guys have any suggestions?

    Is the piece that came off a thread cutter or just a thread guide or something else? if it is a cutter you'll miss it but you can just use scissors. If it is thread guide you can get by with out it or you can hunt up that screw - use a magnet or get eye level with the floor to spot the screw.

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0116.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0120.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0117.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0118.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0119.jpg[/IMG]

    I have no idea how to get it back on there....or how it flung off in the first place!

  5. #15055
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Oh you didn't have all the pics up. It looks like some kind of a spring but maybe it is a thread guide if it screws down. You may need to find some kind of repair manual. Does it work without that part? If so you shouldn't panic.

  6. #15056
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a source for a free manual for a Pfaff Automatic 230. I got the machine one day for $10, with a box of attachments galore, which I don't know some of them. It does a ton of stitches, but I need to figure them out. TIA

    By the way, cute new machines everybody. I think it is pretty neat to find the saved ones. I am going to have to find some new homes for some of mine....maybe. It is getting a little crowded in the sewing room.

  7. #15057
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a source for a free manual for a Pfaff Automatic 230. I got the machine one day for $10, with a box of attachments galore, which I don't know some of them. It does a ton of stitches, but I need to figure them out. TIA

    By the way, cute new machines everybody. I think it is pretty neat to find the saved ones. I am going to have to find some new homes for some of mine....maybe. It is getting a little crowded in the sewing room.
    you can google search sewing machine attachments and find all kinds of wonderful info on how to use attachments for about any machine - it is all a matter of if you have high, low or slant shank. So many are low shank and are interchangeable from one machine to another. To figure out the stitches just kind of experiment and use trial and error until you get it. Most of it is common sense. Some times it takes a while. There should be manuals on line for most machines or similar machines. It took me a couple weeks to figure out my 'new' Elna with out a manual. If you get stuck I'm sure someone on here will have some idea what to do.

  8. #15058
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam
    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a source for a free manual for a Pfaff Automatic 230. I got the machine one day for $10, with a box of attachments galore, which I don't know some of them. It does a ton of stitches, but I need to figure them out. TIA

    By the way, cute new machines everybody. I think it is pretty neat to find the saved ones. I am going to have to find some new homes for some of mine....maybe. It is getting a little crowded in the sewing room.
    you can google search sewing machine attachments and find all kinds of wonderful info on how to use attachments for about any machine - it is all a matter of if you have high, low or slant shank. So many are low shank and are interchangeable from one machine to another. To figure out the stitches just kind of experiment and use trial and error until you get it. Most of it is common sense. Some times it takes a while. There should be manuals on line for most machines or similar machines. It took me a couple weeks to figure out my 'new' Elna with out a manual. If you get stuck I'm sure someone on here will have some idea what to do.
    I had looked and the main thing I need is the Stitch guide. Apparently it is similar to my singer 319w in that different combinations of knobs and such change the stitches. It has some internal knobs, and external ones as well. The 319 manual was mostly how to change the stitches.

  9. #15059
    Super Member BoJangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rescue, California
    Posts
    4,585
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am a few pages behind, but I wanted to post a picture of my new 66-6 I got yesterday for $5 because he has no cabinet, no foot pedal, no knee controller. His cabinet was disintegrating so we left it behind! I thought, I'd get this machine just for a parts machine, but it is so pretty I hate to use it for parts!

    Also, here is a picture of the Mystery Quilt I just finished quilting! I had no idea what I was making, the only thing I chose were the colors! It is going to a daughter that has her whole house done in Americana! This was pieced with a FW in classes then sewn together with my Free treadle at home. I had to attach the binding with my pfaff 1222e because my Davis, Betty, is getting her cabinet re-finished right now!

    Nancy
    Attached Images Attached Images


  10. #15060
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,583
    Blog Entries
    19
    Melinda, I could find a $7 manual, but no free ones. That Pfaff 230 is a serious looking machine. No wonder you want a manual.

    Bojangles, a beautiful bright quilt and a pretty little machine. I couldn't part it out, either.

  11. #15061
    Senior Member Baysidegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I am a few pages behind, but I wanted to post a picture of my new 66-6 I got yesterday for $5 because he has no cabinet, no foot pedal, no knee controller. His cabinet was disintegrating so we left it behind! I thought, I'd get this machine just for a parts machine, but it is so pretty I hate to use it for parts!

    Also, here is a picture of the Mystery Quilt I just finished quilting! I had no idea what I was making, the only thing I chose were the colors! It is going to a daughter that has her whole house down in Americana! This was pieced with a FW in classes then sewn together with my Free treadle at home. I had to attach the binding with my pfaff 1222e because my Davis, Betty, is getting her cabinet re-finished right now!

    Nancy
    Your quilt is beautiful....so is the Singer. I would find some parts and a cabinet. Such a pretty machine shouldn't be used for parts.

  12. #15062
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Thanks for the reply. I found the $7 one, but am unsure if it has my stuff in it, because I also found two more, one that specified the embroidery unit. And I looked on ebay and saw some more 230s for sale that had the little stitch guide wheel looking thing, that showed the settings for each stitch. It is a powerful machine for sure. One of the feet included is a free motion foot, so I am stoked to try it out. I may call my osmg and see what he thinks. He likes all machines, and isn't too uppity to share information, even though he is a sewing machine man. He can tell you about any machine and loves to talk about the old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose
    Melinda, I could find a $7 manual, but no free ones. That Pfaff 230 is a serious looking machine. No wonder you want a manual.

    Bojangles, a beautiful bright quilt and a pretty little machine. I couldn't part it out, either.

  13. #15063
    Senior Member Blinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    515
    Hi!
    I just purchased this machine a few days ago! I am learning about it a little at a time. I learned that it could be a Sphynx?
    Serial number G0372039....which I believe would be a 1910? It needs a shuttle...which I don't know what kind, bobbins, throat plate, belt, etc. I want to be sure I get the right parts when I buy them. Is there a trick to that :roll: It also needs the post for the spool of thread....can you tell me what the model may be of this machine? I see numbers like 27 or 28 for some model numbers on the internet...but there are no model numbers on this machine. :cry:
    Attached Images Attached Images


  14. #15064
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    You are right-too pretty for a parts machine. Most of them are though. Very pretty quilt as well. I can't wait for a big enough break to get some fabric out. I did seven dresses for a wedding last week, and got busy this week doing farm work, so just trying to get all that picked up and away. However, I am on to the Pfaff experimenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I am a few pages behind, but I wanted to post a picture of my new 66-6 I got yesterday for $5 because he has no cabinet, no foot pedal, no knee controller. His cabinet was disintegrating so we left it behind! I thought, I'd get this machine just for a parts machine, but it is so pretty I hate to use it for parts!

    Also, here is a picture of the Mystery Quilt I just finished quilting! I had no idea what I was making, the only thing I chose were the colors! It is going to a daughter that has her whole house done in Americana! This was pieced with a FW in classes then sewn together with my Free treadle at home. I had to attach the binding with my pfaff 1222e because my Davis, Betty, is getting her cabinet re-finished right now!

    Nancy

  15. #15065
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Quote Originally Posted by kwendt
    I know where there's a Singer 101, very little rust if any, some bed wear, nothing serious, scroll face, funky twist off motor cover is intact... in a Deluxe Library cabinet #40. Cabinet is all scratched up, but intact. lady wants $20. Yes? No?
    YES!!

    Billy
    Okay, Billy has spoken!!!! I'm ON IT! Oh wait, I'll have to go get it tomorrow... lol.

    BTW, I'm very very glad that you and your family are 'okay'. Hope the damage can be fixed up real soon...
    We are A-Okay!! Just have to wait for the insurance guy to come and write me the check!!

    Billy

  16. #15066
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    Hi!
    I just purchased this machine a few days ago! I am learning about it a little at a time. I learned that it could be a Sphynx?
    Serial number G0372039....which I believe would be a 1910? It needs a shuttle...which I don't know what kind, bobbins, throat plate, belt, etc. I want to be sure I get the right parts when I buy them. Is there a trick to that :roll: It also needs the post for the spool of thread....can you tell me what the model may be of this machine? I see numbers like 27 or 28 for some model numbers on the internet...but there are no model numbers on this machine. :cry:
    Its a model 127 and I have almost all the parts that you will need for it here. Just PM me and I will get you the price!

    Billy

  17. #15067
    Senior Member melinda1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    472
    Beautiful machine!! Pretty decals. Parts are readily available, so fixing her up should be no problem. You can download the manual, and most of the stuff for free. Enjoy and good luck!!
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    Hi!
    I just purchased this machine a few days ago! I am learning about it a little at a time. I learned that it could be a Sphynx?
    Serial number G0372039....which I believe would be a 1910? It needs a shuttle...which I don't know what kind, bobbins, throat plate, belt, etc. I want to be sure I get the right parts when I buy them. Is there a trick to that :roll: It also needs the post for the spool of thread....can you tell me what the model may be of this machine? I see numbers like 27 or 28 for some model numbers on the internet...but there are no model numbers on this machine. :cry:

  18. #15068
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    Quote Originally Posted by mpeters1200
    Well, the side winder worked and I got my bobbin wound....course that was after I spent 30 minutes taking all the thread that was already in it out. Gees.

    I got my walking foot on ok, but I think I broke the machine first time I used her by myself. I really hope I didn't. There's this little hoop of metal that goes on the top of the shaft that holds the thread. It flung right off as soon as I put the walking foot on. I tried to take as many pictures as I can. There's a little hole in it, like where a screw would go, but no screw that I could find. Course, I couldn't figure out how to get it back on the shaft either. You guys have any suggestions?

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0116.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0120.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0117.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0118.jpg[/IMG]

    [IMG]http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...s/SANY0119.jpg[/IMG]

    I have no idea how to get it back on there....or how it flung off in the first place!
    I think your screw was a little loose (no pun intended) but that is the thread guide for the needlebar. I think you can get by without it but try to find the little buggar if not you might need to find a parts machine and get the screw you need off of it.

    Billy

  19. #15069
    Senior Member Blinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    515
    Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by melinda1962
    Beautiful machine!! Pretty decals. Parts are readily available, so fixing her up should be no problem. You can download the manual, and most of the stuff for free. Enjoy and good luck!!
    http://parts.singerco.com/IPinstManuals/
    Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    Hi!
    I just purchased this machine a few days ago! I am learning about it a little at a time. I learned that it could be a Sphynx?
    Serial number G0372039....which I believe would be a 1910? It needs a shuttle...which I don't know what kind, bobbins, throat plate, belt, etc. I want to be sure I get the right parts when I buy them. Is there a trick to that :roll: It also needs the post for the spool of thread....can you tell me what the model may be of this machine? I see numbers like 27 or 28 for some model numbers on the internet...but there are no model numbers on this machine. :cry:

  20. #15070
    Senior Member Mary M's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    931
    Would like some help in getting more information on a pretty black lady that my daughter brought to me. It is a Montgomery Wards H4810293 made in Japan. Thasnk you, Mary

  21. #15071
    Super Member vintagemotif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,971
    Blog Entries
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I am a few pages behind, but I wanted to post a picture of my new 66-6 I got yesterday for $5 because he has no cabinet, no foot pedal, no knee controller. His cabinet was disintegrating so we left it behind! I thought, I'd get this machine just for a parts machine, but it is so pretty I hate to use it for parts!

    Also, here is a picture of the Mystery Quilt I just finished quilting! I had no idea what I was making, the only thing I chose were the colors! It is going to a daughter that has her whole house done in Americana! This was pieced with a FW in classes then sewn together with my Free treadle at home. I had to attach the binding with my pfaff 1222e because my Davis, Betty, is getting her cabinet re-finished right now!

    Nancy
    Nancy, I love your quilt, thanks for showing that off to us. I love seeing the quilts made from using the vintage machines.
    And I like your new 66!

  22. #15072
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    559
    Also, here is a picture of the Mystery Quilt I just finished quilting! I had no idea what I was making, the only thing I chose were the colors! It is going to a daughter that has her whole house done in Americana! This was pieced with a FW in classes then sewn together with my Free treadle at home. I had to attach the binding with my pfaff 1222e because my Davis, Betty, is getting her cabinet re-finished right now!

    Nancy[/quote]

    Beautiful quilt and a very nice macine. Kathie

  23. #15073
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bikini Bottom
    Posts
    5,746
    That is a gorgeous quilt Nancy!!!!

    Billy

  24. #15074
    Super Member Mornigstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bobcaygeon,On./ Bonita Springs, Fl
    Posts
    1,000
    Billy, I also need bobbins & feet for my 127 so if you have some for sale let me know too. Thank you, as I wanted to wait until I refinished the cabinet.

  25. #15075
    Super Member jljack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina - But otherwise, NOTW
    Posts
    8,073
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles
    I am a few pages behind, but I wanted to post a picture of my new 66-6 I got yesterday for $5 because he has no cabinet, no foot pedal, no knee controller. His cabinet was disintegrating so we left it behind! I thought, I'd get this machine just for a parts machine, but it is so pretty I hate to use it for parts!

    Nancy
    Nice machine, Nancy, and I like that quilt too!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.