Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-26-2011, 09:36 AM

This is where I get my Featherweight stuff. I have ordered their bobbins and have had no problems at all with them.

http://www.221parts.com/#

Also, before you get new bobbins, I'd really give that little machine a good cleaning. Remove the bobbin plate and really clean - use a flashlight so you can see really good to make sure there are no threads caught in there. Since the thread broke when it started skipping stitches, I'd bet there is something caught in there. After you clean under the slide plate and oil, turn the machine over, remove the bottom cover and clean and oil (there are like 13 oiling points under the machine) there really well - with a flashlight - so you can make sure nothing is wrapped around in or near the bobbin hook/race.

You should also take off the front face plate and oil every little hole in there that is suppose to be oiled - your book will show you where to oil. There are little oil holes to all the joints - something like 11 oil places altogother. You need to oil all the outside points too on the machine head itself. Since, you have re-threaded, changed needles, I bet it is not your bobbin at all - but, gunk or a thread somewhere that is messing up your stitch.

Good luck - let us know if you get it fixed.

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by emmah
I was just given an old White like yours -Donna Mare-that was electrified, got it cleaned and oiled, and it runs nicely. I have an old treadle table, minus the original top that needs to be worked on. It is missing the rod between the treadle and the wheel. I will have to figure out some substitute. Then I can put the two together with a new top! Fun!
That rod is called a "pitman". Billy may have one.
Is it a metal or wood pitman that is supposed to be on the machine

Billy
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, got sidetracked...majorly...by a visit to PA with family and to pick up three...3..sewing machines, two of them treadle and a singer 99k. Attached is the treadle base that I had before that is missing pitman.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164417.jpe  
Old 02-26-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by emmah
I was just given an old White like yours -Donna Mare-that was electrified, got it cleaned and oiled, and it runs nicely. I have an old treadle table, minus the original top that needs to be worked on. It is missing the rod between the treadle and the wheel. I will have to figure out some substitute. Then I can put the two together with a new top! Fun!
That rod is called a "pitman". Billy may have one.
Is it a metal or wood pitman that is supposed to be on the machine

Billy
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner, got sidetracked...majorly...by a visit to PA with family and to pick up three...3..sewing machines, two of them treadle and a singer 99k. Attached is the treadle base that I had before that is missing pitman.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Help, clearly my internet search skills are lacking.

I have a model 27 that I installed a belt on this morning.

Let me preface this with... this is my first ever treadle and I am learning (using a big curve) ;)

Anyway, I have the belt on, but it seems really hard to get started and then as I get the peddle moving the belt seems to slip. Is it operator error in the form of not knowing the proper "treadle technique" or is my belt too loose?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 AM

Monica, or any one in my area, here is a Model 15-90 that is pretty close to me. I love my 15-88 and really want another 15-88 because, I have mine set up exclusively for free motion quilting. Well, this 15-90, I know can have the motor removed and dropped into a treadle very easily.

What would be a fair price to offer him? I am not going to pay $75 for the machine as I got my 15-88 in her treadle for $45 - and she is in really nice shape.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2235250801.html

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by denise d

Let me preface this with... this is my first ever treadle and I am learning (using a big curve) ;)

Anyway, I have the belt on, but it seems really hard to get started and then as I get the peddle moving the belt seems to slip. Is it operator error in the form of not knowing the proper "treadle technique" or is my belt too loose?

Denise, have you oiled the treadle iron joints and pedal joints? If no, you need to do that, if yes you probably have oil in the belt groove. You will need to wipe the belt groove off in the treadle irons and on the wheel belt groove. You also need to wipe the belt to make sure there is no oil residue on the belt itself from when you cleaned and oiled the machine. Also, if your belt is old and hardened leather, slick feeling, you probably need to get a newer more pliable belt. I had trouble with my Free treadle's belt slipping because it had an original belt that had hardened. I put a new belt on and solved the problem.

Your belt should be loose enough that you have a little play in it, but not so loose it can be removed from the wheel easily. And, yes when I started to learn to treadle I had a LOT of operator error with my feet. I would go back and forth and just break threads! My husband had no problem at all -- so irritating! It takes practice! I learned on a 27 -- loved to sew with that old gal.

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I have a National with the strange face plate; it has a TV on top of it right now, but I will get to it as soon as I can and see if I can remember how to thread it. If not, I will find someone who can.
Miz Johnny, I knew I could count on you!

Nancy
Old 02-26-2011, 11:57 AM

DH and I picked up an old Brother in a cabinet this am for free. After replacing the power cord wires and a new foot pedal, she will be ready to go. Does ZZ but that is all the extra. Also needs bobbin case and bobbins. Will probably trash the cabinet.
There was a 66 in a nice BW case at the thrift store. They wanted $80, so it stayed. There was also an Elna BU for $40, but someone else grabbed it up. Didn't get a chance to check it out.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Denise, have you oiled the treadle iron joints and pedal joints? If no, you need to do that, if yes you probably have oil in the belt groove. You will need to wipe the belt groove off in the treadle irons and on the wheel belt groove. You also need to wipe the belt to make sure there is no oil residue on the belt itself from when you cleaned and oiled the machine. Also, if your belt is old and hardened leather, slick feeling, you probably need to get a newer more pliable belt. I had trouble with my Free treadle's belt slipping because it had an original belt that had hardened. I put a new belt on and solved the problem.

Your belt should be loose enough that you have a little play in it, but not so loose it can be removed from the wheel easily. And, yes when I started to learn to treadle I had a LOT of operator error with my feet. I would go back and forth and just break threads! My husband had no problem at all -- so irritating! It takes practice! I learned on a 27 -- loved to sew with that old gal.

Nancy
Nancy,
I did oil the joints after I asked for help. That seemed to help but still the belt was slipping... I shortened it... now it is too tight.

ARGH!

Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.

Thanks for the help. I am so Type A that this is a very painful process, but I will win.... a 118 yr old machine can not beat me! :):)
Old 02-26-2011, 12:13 PM

[quote=denise d][quote=BoJangles]
Since it is a new belt... I figured I will let it sit for a week or so and see if it stretches.
quote]

The more you use the treadle you will find you may need to shorten it several times. Yes, it will stretch some more. Hang in there, girl. You will be victorious!!! :lol: