Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1101 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 101 601 1001 1051 1091 1100 1101 1102 1111 1151 1201 1601 ... LastLast
Results 27,501 to 27,525 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Quote Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
    Found this listing on CL http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/atq/2692010865.html
    Artistic Sewing Cabinet??
    I don' think so!!!! It would take much work for it to be brought back to the orginal.

Blog Entries
    Chris, the clones are confusing. If I hadn't sewn on a 1950s White in the 1950s, I might not see that pretty one as a White. I have a Admiral made in Japan that has to be a Necchi clone. Funny thing is, it has a better motor than my Necchi, but side by side, they are very similar.

Blog Entries
    WOOHOO! The spousal unit finally rewired my 99 for me, and she sews beautifully! It's the only machine I had a plate for to use the picot hemstitcher, and now he's playing with it trying to get the hemstitcher to work properly.
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    WOOHOO! The spousal unit finally rewired my 99 for me, and she sews beautifully! It's the only machine I had a plate for to use the picot hemstitcher, and now he's playing with it trying to get the hemstitcher to work properly.
    Did you name that little bugger yet? I love my little Spartan. I have a Singer 99 that needs the part the hand wheel fits on. I'm on the prowl for a really junk machine to harvest a part off... I wish the Spartan had a light. I dug around and found a cover plate for the dogs. I have all kinds of accessories for it. It is a fantastic little machine. Poor woman's FW??? Suggest SU use a bit of Triflow on that hemstitcher.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    After breaking an entire package of needles trying to get the hemstitcher to work, we gave up for today.

Name...hmmmmm....I suppose it IS time to actually name her with a name that will stick...will have to think about it. She's a fast little hummer...quiet...nice stitches...no reverse (1924 model)....
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    Chris, the clones are confusing. If I hadn't sewn on a 1950s White in the 1950s, I might not see that pretty one as a White. I have a Admiral made in Japan that has to be a Necchi clone. Funny thing is, it has a better motor than my Necchi, but side by side, they are very similar.
    Thanks again for your help. I had no idea that White clones even existed or even Necchi ones for that matter. I just know she sews beautifully as does the other one. That 2nd one doesn't even hiccup when hitting jean hems which is what I love about her. Again, many thanks for your help.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by misseva View Post
    OK, I'm not sure how to use the board now - so can anyone tell me how Billy is or if he has a blog - how do I get to it? I haven't seen him post in several days.
    Billy is listed under the Vintage sewing machine group and has his own listing lostn61 Thenbegining of it all is here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/persona...51-t28727.html

I'm sure he's waiting to hear from more of you. I hope this helps!
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Just what is a 'picot hemstitcher'? What does it look like? I've never heard of one before? Pictures??
    Janis
    I just 'googled' it and it is so neat!!! I want one, but can't afford the $99.00 for the set with the throat plate. Anyone know of one a lot cheaper?
    Last edited by Janis; 11-09-2011 at 06:14 PM.

There is a Singer 500 and a Necci for sale near me for $45 each if anyone is interested. Kathie S.

Quote Originally Posted by jan on 446 View Post
    I am going to look at a Singer 66 tomorrow. I am not familiar with this machine and neither is the seller. She is asking $25 for it.
    Questions I have:
    Is this only a treadle machine? I think she told me it was in a case, but she doesn't know anything about machines so a case could be a treadle!
    What # bobbins does it take?
    I downloaded a manual for it but didn't find anything about the bobbins. It looks like a round bobbin.
    Is it only forward and reverse?
    How are the stitches? Is it a good machine for most types of fabric like denim?
    Thanks for any information!
    Jan on 446
    I have a 1910 Singer 66 red eye. One of my favorite treadle machines to sew with.

Quote Originally Posted by Derla View Post
    There are way too many posts on this forum to read them all, so this may be a repeat. My husband bought me a vintage sewing machine at an estate sale for $30. It is a Necchi, made in Italy, Model BU. She really purrs like a kitten. There are lots of different feet for it - but no manual. I've not been able to check the stitch as I'm not sure how to thread it. From the little I've been able to find on the Internet about it -- I'm thinking he did good. But it seems there are 3 different kinds of Model BU and I'd like to get it ID'd accurately so I can look for the right manual. Can anyone give me a link to get it ID'd, please?
    You can find a threading diagram here: http://sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams...ng_Diagram.htm
    Sharon W.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Just what is a 'picot hemstitcher'? What does it look like? I've never heard of one before? Pictures??
    Janis
    I just 'googled' it and it is so neat!!! I want one, but can't afford the $99.00 for the set with the throat plate. Anyone know of one a lot cheaper?
    Watch ebay, that's where I got both of mine for a LOT less than $99! April1930's has this video on You Tube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxWyjzhmdI8

I
    f I can't get this one to work right, I'll be selling it! LOL

I have had my fw for almost 3 years, and never sewed its project until tonight. What a fun little machine to use. I had only made sure that it sewed and oiled and cleaned it up, but I pieced a baby quilt on it tonight. Quiet, smooth, and just neat to use. I will get the quilting done on a clone tomorrow. The fw is just so cute, it is hard to believe how well it sews.
    Melinda

Sewmore, Japanese Clone of what?

Help! This machine is driving me crazy! I can't figure what machine she was cloned from. The model number is 606 but she does not look like the Sewmore 606's I have found on the Internet. The faceplate is hinged and rounded. The knob underneath the badge lowers and raises the feeddogs. I would like to find a generic manual for her but I don't know what she is. Might name her Greta after Greta Garbo, the mysterious one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Caroline, not every "Non-Singer" is a clone. Your Sewmor is just that...a Sewmor.

MPeters,
    The plate that the spool pin for your featherweight only has 1 screw, it just needs to be a bit tighter. You need to be able to access that part of the machine so you can grease and oil in that area. The box that your machine came in is for a white FW, they were made in the 1960s.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janis View Post
    Janis
    What is a fair price for one of those??? I picked up a hand crank so I can test a couple out - see if they work. It is my understanding that they work better at very low speed. Iris, you HAVE to come over then - I'll need support.....
    Last edited by miriam; 11-10-2011 at 12:55 AM.

Blog Entries
    I am going to look at a Singer 66 tomorrow. I am not familiar with this machine and neither is the seller. She is asking $25 for it. GREAT PRICE!
    Questions I have:
    Is this only a treadle machine? NO
    I think she told me it was in a case, but she doesn't know anything about machines so a case could be a treadle!
    What # bobbins does it take? CLASS 66 BOBBINS
    I downloaded a manual for it but didn't find anything about the bobbins. It looks like a round bobbin.
    Is it only forward and reverse? SOME ARE ONLY FORWARD - SOME DO REVERSE
    How are the stitches? EXCELLENT
    Is it a good machine for most types of fabric like denim? EXCELLENT
    Jan on 446

NICE SIMPLE MACHINE - I HAVE ONE IN A BENT WOOD CASE - NOT A REDEYE THOUGH - BUMMER

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I am going to look at a Singer 66 tomorrow. I am not familiar with this machine and neither is the seller. She is asking $25 for it. GREAT PRICE!
    Questions I have:
    Is this only a treadle machine? NO
    I think she told me it was in a case, but she doesn't know anything about machines so a case could be a treadle!
    What # bobbins does it take? CLASS 66 BOBBINS
    Is it only forward and reverse? SOME ARE ONLY FORWARD - SOME DO REVERSE
    How are the stitches? EXCELLENT
    Is it a good machine for most types of fabric like denim? EXCELLENT
    Jan on 446

NICE SIMPLE MACHINE - I HAVE ONE IN A BENT WOOD CASE - NOT A REDEYE THOUGH - BUMMER
    long johns are ready for tomorrow, I'm ready

Blog Entries
    Name:  Hales Crescent1.JPG
Views: 1134
Size:  1.44 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Nancy! We are waiting to see what a Hale's Crescent looks like...where are you...looking forward to the pictures...anticipation...
    Sorry Monica, I have been taking care of a sick grandson for a couple days!

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-10-2011 at 06:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    What is a fair price for one of those??? I picked up a hand crank so I can test a couple out - see if they work. It is my understanding that they work better at very low speed. Iris, you HAVE to come over then - I'll need support.....
    I ended up with 3 of them - 0ne for my 99 and 2 that fit my 201 and Model 15. The extra singer picot hemstitcher has the throat plate part# 121388 used with Singer Models 15 and 201 and the instructions. Just yet another of the things I want to list (like the zig zagger for the 301 I don't need.) That I haven't had time to post. I was asking $20 at my garage sale, but no one wanted (or knew what the old parts were.) One dat, I'll get it all tohether - this week I'm still recovering from my Mystery Quilt Weekend.

Or maybe I should try this - I have all these 3 - think I could get $200?
    http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2686578995.html

Talk about not having a clue!

My "new" New Home treadle machine

I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~~Cathy~~

That is so pretty, cabbagpatchkid. I think I'm a little jealous! I've never seen a New Home machine around here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beaniekins View Post
    That is so pretty, cabbagpatchkid. I think I'm a little jealous! I've never seen a New Home machine around here.
    Very pretty! Definitely jealous - love the dog!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.
    Try Barkeepers Friend (looks like Bon Ami can) for the rust on those metal parts. It takes it right off. Sprinkle some in a saucer and make a paste with water, then you can use a toothbrush, a rag, a Q-tip or whatever to scrub off the rust. It's great and will not damage the metal. I just cleaned up a 1890 Davis and used it...did a great job!!