Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1102 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 102 602 1002 1052 1092 1101 1102 1103 1112 1152 1202 1602 ... LastLast
Results 27,526 to 27,550 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I didn't get the Singer 66 last week. It was a disaster. It had several cracks on the bed, parts were rusted through etc.
    Thanks for all your information. I took a bottle of Singer oil with me and cotton balls just to see the decals and only a small faded "red eye" showed up.
    I figure that if I am suppose to get another vintage machine, it will happen.
    I have a 503A on layaway at a somewhat local Sew and Vac store (70 miles) and will get it in mid January.
    The next one on my list is a FW. The gal at the S&V will let me know if and when one comes into the store. She said they do come in maybe once a year and I'll be the first person she calls! I like dealing with them because I know the guy who works on them, does a through job and guarantees them for a full year.
    Jan on 446
    >^::^<

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid View Post
    I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

That is a great looking machine. Congratulations.
    Lisa

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Caroline, not every "Non-Singer" is a clone. Your Sewmor is just that...a Sewmor.
    Actually they are not clones at all they are called "Japanese 15's" and are better engineered in my own opinion than the Singer counterpart.

Billy

Banned
    I have been following this New Home treadle machine, on Craigslist, and the price finally dropped to $50.00 so I put in a call about it. The man was even advertising free delivery and he dropped it off yesterday. He said that it had belonged to his grandmother and they had been using it as a piece of furniture.

It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.
    New Home took a lot less effort to run in a treadle than some of the other machines hence the "light running" in their advertizing. Plus they had a lot less moving parts to the machine vs the other manufacturers. The machine that you have has the nice and more hard to come by decals and they look really good, but be careful when you clean the machine because the the finish is crazing really bad. But that is a super machine to have in any collection even with the japan missing on the front of the bed!

Billy

Blog Entries
    love your machine
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    That is a great looking machine. Congratulations.

I second that motion, cabbagepatchkid. I have a newer New Home and it still has the dog.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=BoJangles;4660697]Attachment 285786

Sorry Monica, I have been taking care of a sick grandson for a couple days!

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy[/QUOTE
    That is one beautiful machine!! Can't wait to see the cabinet and irons redone.

Texas Jan

Blog Entries
    http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/2694157946.html
    I just about peed my pants laughing... they don't have a clue - looks like it was dropped too
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    It has an interesting decal on the bed of the machine. There is a greyhound type dog with the words "light running". I wonder what that meant? There is a bit of rust on some of the metal pieces that I'm hoping to get off but I'm not having much luck with the bobbin winder, which I have already tried polishing. There is some pitting and corrosion under the rust. Either way, it's a beauty and is now adorning the space under my kitchen window.
    Ooooh, I love that dog decal! She sure is a pretty machine.
    Please post your pet's - past and present -pictures at http://www.quiltingboard.com/general...ds-t32280.html

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Attachment 285786

I did get the Hales Crescent a couple days ago. It is a really cute machine - looks sort of like a Two Spools, but it is a vibrating shuttle. I got the machine, cabinet, original manaul, and 3 shuttle bobbins for $10. The machine itself is worth $10! Now the bad part, the machine is in great shape - owned by the same family all its life. The cabinet, though, is going to need some major repair work. DH welded the treadle irons - that came out great, but the whole top of the cabinet has to be re-done - new veneer, even some of the boards under the veneer are split! Now, he has 4 he has to re-do (I am almost finished with the cabinet for the 319w).

Now I am trying to find some information out about the Hales Crescent! They were made by Johnson, Flanders and Co. between 1865 and 1883 - that is all I can find out? I am sure this machine is from the early 1900's not the late 1800's, but according to the records it can't be because the company was out of busines by 1883? I also find nothing on ISMACS needle site about needle size. It appears to take a Boye #10 like a Davis? Geeze, I am always getting these mystery machines!

Nancy
    Nancy, Pretty machine! Looks like a Davis or National. In my opinion more like a Davis NVF body, just minus the walking foot, reverse tack, and stitch length guide is located in different position.

Blog Entries

Very pretty machine! I would just clean it with sewing oil to protect those decals.

Good luck on finding the information on the Hales Crescent. It is a pretty machine with an interesting story. Can't wait to hear the rest of it.....
    Melinda

Hales Crescent

[QUOTE=quiltdoctor;4662090]
    Quote Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
    Attachment 285786

Nancy[/QUOTE
    That is one beautiful machine!! Can't wait to see the cabinet and irons redone.

Texas Jan
    Hi,
    I'd put my money that the Hales Crescent is a badged Davis bottom feeder. I have a similar machine that is about 3/4 size. Needlewise it might take a standard 15 x 1 or if not a #10 Boye. What's the serial number? Nice machine, great price.
    Jon

Blog Entries

Very nice machine and decals are wonderful. You did good.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
    Actually they are not clones at all they are called "Japanese 15's" and are better engineered in my own opinion than the Singer counterpart.

Billy
    Technically, yes. Also technically, none of them are 15s unless that's the actual model number of them. It's commonplace to call them 15 clones, and it's easily remembered. Was it Nancy that said she LIKED to call them "clones" because it gave them a "sci-fi" aura?

A 15 has the tension on the faceplate as opposed to the front of the machine. If the tension is not on the faceplate it's neither a "Japanese 15" nor is it a "Clone".

Opinions are wonderful things, aren't they?
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Opinions are wonderful things, aren't they?
    Just like everyone has one................

But a clone is an exact replica with the Singer name on it. A japanese 15 is a model 15 copy that looks like one.

Billy
    Last edited by Lostn51; 11-10-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51 View Post
    Just like everyone has one................

But a clone is an exact replica with the Singer name on it. A japanese 15 is a model 15 copy that looks like one.

Billy
    So for short they are 15 clones....
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

I would call the ones with the faceplate tension, Japanese 15 Clones, but the ones with the tension on the front, Japanese machines that use Class 15 Bobbins. At least mine do, and I have a couple of those as well as the clones. The Japanese ZZ that uses the 15 bobbin is pretty cool. I have a Wizard and New Home that are the zz/15 and both are great machines. The wizard my mom bought in 1966 for $66 and it still sews fine. I put a pic somewhere on here.
    Melinda

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=jlhmnj;4662532]
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post

Hi,
    I'd put my money that the Hales Crescent is a badged Davis bottom feeder. I have a similar machine that is about 3/4 size. Needlewise it might take a standard 15 x 1 or if not a #10 Boye. What's the serial number? Nice machine, great price.
    Jon
    Jon and Monica, I think you are probably on the right track. This machine takes a very long needle. I haven't taken the needle out yet to measure - don't want to take a chance on ruining it - but, it appears to be a Boye 10 or Davis long. The whole machine reminds me of my Davis and my Two Spools. The cabinet is made like a Davis or National Two Spools cabinet - more a square cut, solid, sturdy. Right now the cabinet is dismantled until DH gets it fixed. DH repaired the broken treadle iron already! This is the second Hales Crescent I have seen. There is another one for sale in an antique shop in the town of El Dorado, which means it is not that unusual! This makes me wonder why ISMACS doesn't even list the Hales Crescent on their needle site? I am doubting at this point that this machine is from the Johnson, Flanders, and Company factory of Cresent machines?

Oh the serial number is 1841671, and it is on the slide plate like a Davis - instead of on the bed of the machine somwhere!
    Nancy
    Last edited by BoJangles; 11-10-2011 at 03:32 PM.

Banned
    In the antique and vintage sewing machine community if it does not have the Singer logo it is called a copy. A clone is a Chinese reproduction that has the Singer logo on it. Some of the Chinese machines were allotted by Singer and a lot of them are counterfeit. But if it looks like a Singer 15 with the dial on the faceplate and a different name on it then it is a copy, or better known as a Japanese 15. I have lots of company records from the Japanese based companies that made them and even in their records they are called "Model 15's". And I have probably the most information about the Japanese machines than anyone on the planet.

Billy

I don't think I'm even going to TRY to catch up with you all!! I'm just going to dash in and give a quick update before getting back to hauling plants in out of the coming freeze.

Since I know EXACTLY what you all want to hear, I'll let you know that yes, I'm still bringing in more machines than I sell. My newest old machines are a pair of 128's with Victorian decals (I bought one for the case and the crank, machine is in rough shape; the next day I found one in nice shape, so will put the two together); a German paw foot TS (beautiful little machine, need to get it cleaned and shined); a Domestic B HC (very cute); and my prize, a back-wheel Wilson treadle.

First weekend in Oct was a quilt retreat--finally finished a top that had been giving me grief. 2nd weekend was a great time at ISMACS. It was a small crowd, but well worth the time. Beautiful machine overload viewing Gary Wachs' collection. Since then has been a cold, a burn, and a fall--not so much fun, but recovering from all. Life still busy beyond belief, but hope to be able to check in more often!!

So now--when did the Quilting Board get a new look? Do we like it???
    Miz Johnny

Blog Entries
    I need a foot for my featherweight. It came apart and now will not sew. The power cord is attached so I need both. Any hekp will be greatly appreciated

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miz Johnny View Post
    I don't think I'm even going to TRY to catch up with you all!! I'm just going to dash in and give a quick update before getting back to hauling plants in out of the coming freeze.

Since I know EXACTLY what you all want to hear, I'll let you know that yes, I'm still bringing in more machines than I sell. My newest old machines are a pair of 128's with Victorian decals (I bought one for the case and the crank, machine is in rough shape; the next day I found one in nice shape, so will put the two together); a German paw foot TS (beautiful little machine, need to get it cleaned and shined); a Domestic B HC (very cute); and my prize, a back-wheel Wilson treadle.

First weekend in Oct was a quilt retreat--finally finished a top that had been giving me grief. 2nd weekend was a great time at ISMACS. It was a small crowd, but well worth the time. Beautiful machine overload viewing Gary Wachs' collection. Since then has been a cold, a burn, and a fall--not so much fun, but recovering from all. Life still busy beyond belief, but hope to be able to check in more often!!

So now--when did the Quilting Board get a new look? Do we like it???
    Hey girl!! We were worried since we hadn't heard from you in AGES!! Hope all is well...post pics of your new ones when you can. Burn? Fall? YUCK!! Glad to see you back.

Blog Entries
    I found a source for Boye #10 needles for all us Davis folks. If you need some, send me a PM and I'll give you the contact info.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donnai View Post
    I need a foot for my featherweight. It came apart and now will not sew. The power cord is attached so I need both. Any hekp will be greatly appreciated
    Feet for any low shank machine will fit the FW....power cord attached? What do you mean? Do you mean you need a Foot Pedal and power cord combination? Those you can get online at April 1930s or Sew-Classic.