Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1152 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 152 652 1052 1102 1142 1151 1152 1153 1162 1202 1252 1652 ... LastLast
Results 28,776 to 28,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
    Photo of buttonhole and monogram test. I will have to practice on the placement of the needle after making a shift of the fabric that is required to follow the pattern.
    Attachment 293755
    Nice! I knew about the Monogramming, but have never tried it...I use a buttonholer and my15-91 for the buttonholes on William's Hawaiian shirts tho!
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Beautiful decals on your New Home! I would just clean her up with sewing oil to preserve those gorgeous decals. No other chemicals, please.

I also love the quilt that is behind your machine, very lovely. Is that a braided quilt made of scraps?
    Thank you all for liking my new toy. For $49.00 I'm liking her more and more.

Yes that is a braided quilt, made from scraps that mostly came from my Grandmother, in the background. I'm thinking that is probably about the first quilt I ever made. Didn't know at that time you were suppose to put labels on them (Shame on me). You just made quilts and used them and this one has seen it's share of use.

jljack--I sent an email to Sew-Classic so am waiting to hear back and "Thank You"
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...5F1E81D66A.png
    Whatever I said in anger, Whatever I shouted in spite, I'm sorry I spoke so quickly--I thought of some worse ones tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
    Nice! I knew about the Monogramming, but have never tried it...I use a buttonholer and my15-91 for the buttonholes on William's Hawaiian shirts tho!
    This buttonholer is awesome and so simple to use. It sure did make my day today! In the past, I dreaded making buttonholes, but not anymore.

Blog Entries
    If you use some interfacing between your button hole fabrics it will retain it’s shape and wear better. I put a thin line of “sew’s aid” in the center of the BH and let it dry before I cut the opening. I make a lot of brocade vest.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl View Post
    I am still on my quest to find either a 15 "clone" or one of the "newer" Japanese made machines that drop the feed dog so I can get set up for FMQ on a vintage machine. Lost a bid on a really nice two-tone 15 clone on ebay this weekend

Here a one of the "newer" ones listed on CL. Would like opinions please. Not familiar at all with Brother machines. Would this be good to use for FMQ?
    http://fresno.craigslist.org/ele/2716134652.html

TIA for any thoughts, comments, suggestions!
    Went & looked at this machine tonight. Guy was pretty firm on the $80 price. Machine needed all new wiring, the paint on the bed had lots of chips, the cabinet wasn't the right cabinet for the machine. Offered the guy $45. He said he wouldn't go below $60 - what he paid for it. So I passed. Hope I don't regret it. I'll keep an eye out to see if it stays listed or re-lists in the future.

The good thing is that by taking my brother along as bodyguard...he now knows what I'm looking for. He yard sales, thrift shops & estate sales all the time...so there's a good chance he will see one somewhere, someday.

Thanks for listing the site. Now I'll cut and past it into an e-mail to myself so I can find it in one of my e-mail folders. Sometimes that's easier to find than in my bookmarks on my computer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Miriam have you check the ismacs needle site?
    yes, it appears to be an AA needle as far as I can tell. I laid a regular needle over the one in the picture and it looks the same length, however you can't see the eye of the needle at all in the manual's picture. And yes it is in the machine the right way.... I can see the hook is a hair off. I just haven't had time to tackle it. Iris, does yours sew?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by crewsemj View Post
    ...and I think it is suppose to have a rubber disc on the bobbin winder that sits against the wheel to wind it.
    On some older treadle machines, the bobbin winder wheel rode on the treadle belt when activated, and didn’t have a rubber “tire” on the wheel.....

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl View Post
    Went & looked at this machine tonight. Guy was pretty firm on the $80 price. Machine needed all new wiring, the paint on the bed had lots of chips, the cabinet wasn't the right cabinet for the machine. Offered the guy $45. He said he wouldn't go below $60 - what he paid for it. So I passed. Hope I don't regret it. I'll keep an eye out to see if it stays listed or re-lists in the future.

The good thing is that by taking my brother along as bodyguard...he now knows what I'm looking for. He yard sales, thrift shops & estate sales all the time...so there's a good chance he will see one somewhere, someday.
    Well, that's disappointing:< But, you made the right choice. I wouldn't doubt that you get an e-mail from him in a few weeks, after he realizes it's just not going to sell for his asking price! Of course, by then, you may drop your offer to $35 :> He may be the one to do the regretting.

Another deluded CL person. All I can say is " KEEP DREAMING". http://slo.craigslist.org/fuo/2682575727.html

Charlee, I bought some leather boot laces at
    Walmart last week and they just look too thin to stand up to be a treadle belt. It was all they had and the length is 72" but they are just a narrow strip of flat leather, smooth on one side and unfinished leather on the back. I am not sure one put a hole in it to join the ends that it would not tear out of the side.

Is this what you use or should I look at a regular shoe/boot store for some meatier ones?
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
    Charlee, I bought some leather boot laces at
    Walmart last week and they just look too thin to stand up to be a treadle belt. It was all they had and the length is 72" but they are just a narrow strip of flat leather, smooth on one side and unfinished leather on the back. I am not sure one put a hole in it to join the ends that it would not tear out of the side.

Is this what you use or should I look at a regular shoe/boot store for some meatier ones?
    I wonder the same thing.

Pfaff feet

Anyone know or have these vintage Pfaff feet? Can you tell me what they do??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html

Blog Entries
    Name:  Screen shot 2011-12-07 at 1.54.53 PM.png
Views: 306
Size:  392.3 KB
    It's a Vesta!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    Anyone know or have these vintage Pfaff feet? Can you tell me what they do??
    hi Candace..bottom right is the 'stitch in the ditch' foot..bottom left looks like a darner. top foot looks like a felling foot.
    Not sure what the bottom upper right one is..hope this helps..Liz
    PS Google the foot attachments w/ their names to 'see' what they do..some good pics on You Tube..
    Elizabeth

Life is a Learning Curve!

Blog Entries
    Name:  Screen shot 2011-12-07 at 1.54.53 PM.png
Views: 306
Size:  392.3 KB
    It's a Vesta!
    Now that is cute!!! There is a Vesta for sale in the Dallas area right now.

Texas Jan

Quote Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
    Now that is cute!!! There is a Vesta for sale in the Dallas area right now.

Texas Jan
    Too cute! Was that a shop window? The Vesta looks so small.

Every week I see that one in Dallas pop up with a decrease in price, I get a case of the "I wants." Too bad my budget never fits! There's a hand crank Pfaff that keeps showing up too.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Linkbeth View Post
    hi Candace..bottom right is the 'stitch in the ditch' foot..bottom left looks like a darner. top foot looks like a felling foot.
    Not sure what the bottom upper right one is..hope this helps..Liz
    PS Google the foot attachments w/ their names to 'see' what they do..some good pics on You Tube..
    Thanks Liz....I'll have to google what a felling foot does!

Blog Entries
    Thanks Liz....I'll have to google what a felling foot does!
    oooohhhhhhh a felling foot!!!!!!!!!!!! felling is the seam on the blue jeans

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    oooohhhhhhh a felling foot!!!!!!!!!!!! felling is the seam on the blue jeans
    yep that's what it does..like doing a covered seam and a top stitch allows needle to get up real close to catch the seam within a seam..http://www.sewneau.com/how.to/flat.felled.seam.html..Hope this helps..lots more info on Google..
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Candace;4754903
    My opinion about the Goodwill site...

Hi Candace, just came across this article regarding Goodwill. [URL]http://www.antiquetrader.com/featured/can-you-expect-good-things-buying-antiques-on-goodwill-com[/URL] I also like to 'look' at their site. Article also mentioned the issue w/ shipping. I'm not knocking Goodwill as I always try to stop by the local ones. Just a helpful FYI to all...Liz
    Elizabeth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Too cute! Was that a shop window? The Vesta looks so small.

Every week I see that one in Dallas pop up with a decrease in price, I get a case of the "I wants." Too bad my budget never fits! There's a hand crank Pfaff that keeps showing up too.
    The Pfaff is the one that I would love to have. I don't NEED it but sure would Love to have it.

Texas Jan

Wow...I want to know which auction site this machine is selling for $1,300 for!

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2740961255.html
    Looks like she may be riding the bus to work since she won't have the cash to have her car repaired!
    She's dreaming!

Blog Entries
    I'm wishing Taylorville near Louisville was closer - there is a FW for about $200 with odor issues... it's on CL