Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Nicky,
Your 15 is beautiful! You did a great job with the machine and cabinet.
Sharon W.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
WAAAAAAH. WHINE. SNIFFLE. I am suppose to be working extra all week for 2 jobs. I have poison ivy rash REALLY bad. I have a 'new' machine I could actually sew on, one machine that needs tlc to trick it out, a million and one sewing projects cluttering up my sewing room, a million and one things in my head to try to do, a nasty creepy house to clean up, grand kids to play with, etc, etc, etc... and all I do is itch. itch. shower. itch. ooze. itch. sting. ooze. change clothes. ooze. ooze. shower. change the sheets. itch. sting. ooze. change clothes. touch and ooze. I look ready for Halloween. DG (age 4) asked me if I was melting. AND DH has one little tiny poison ivy bump. Everybody else takes Benedryl and sleeps. Not me - I get wired. My mom told me once there was some kind of centennial celebration when her and her 5 brothers and sisters sat on the ground at a park. They all got poison ivy all over their butts. I think I'm going to get a goat to eat that ivy off the fence. Thanks for listening to me vent - I gotta go hang some more sheets.
Miriam you need a cortizone shot, it'll help clear it up faster and you'll feel so much better. I had a bad case of poison sumac and it got really really bad.
Sharon W.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
Miriam,try the Benadryl spray in the pump can. It really relieves the pain and itch and then you won't scratch and ooze so much. I know salt water (ocean) really gets rid of it in a day or two but since you're not near one maybe a salty bath?? Hope it helps.
Epsom salts maybe? My DD got it bad when they were cutting the foliage on the hillside at their house. She had huge welts and was crazy with the itching. She went to the ER and they gave her Prednisone, but it didn't help. Another time her OB doc gave her some prescription salve that she said did work, but it's gone and she doesn't remember the name of it. Good luck!!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jpete523
Well, following Cathy's excellent directions I'm going to try again to post a picture of my pretty little Frister & Rossman hand crank.
Hope this works (fingers crossed)!

Jan
Oh, Jan!!! That F&R is the GREATEST!!! I am so hoping to have one some day!! It's really really pretty!! I am just :mrgreen: !!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Good and bad news. Bad news first, still looking for a part (Shuttle Bell Crank #8444) for the Singer 127 but things are looking up.

Called a CL ad for 2 machine heads for $10 and one looked like a Singer 27. The part I need is not the same on the 27 as the 127 so that part didn't work out.

The other machine is a Singer 66. Both are frozen and all the plated parts are rusted. But the decals on the 66 Redeye are very nice.

since I am going to try and get at least the 66 sewing again, they gave them both to me for FREE!!!

Oh well, more machines to clean and practice on.
Lisa, great finds!!! Good luck getting them going....but I think you really will. Let us see them when they are going again!! Very cool!! :thumbup:
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by lee231
Picked up this 99K last week at a thrift store. Missing the bobbin cover plate. Came with a feed dog cover plate and 4 bobbins.
Very nice 99, Lee. I just got a handcrank for my 99, and as soon as it arrives I'll be de-motoring it and putting on the HC. Can't wait to see how it works!! It is one that needs the knee controller (slides into the wooden base), but I don't have that, so haven't even tried it yet. Can't wait!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Couple of questions: no responses to my questions about the "bloom" on the finish of my 301: any ideas?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1366.htm#3782249

Also: my DH is wanting to pull the motor off the 15-91 which seems to work fine and clear out all the "gunk". While he is kinda mechanical I am leaning to adding grease and oil and letting it alone before pulling the pot off. What do you all think?

And finally, my book for the 15-91 says to put 1/2 a tube of Singer motor grease in the holes. How much grease does that come to in today's terms and who sells the proper grease?

thanks a lot I know someone will have the answers! :lol:
Greenini, you can get the Singer original grease or Tri Flo (recommended by some on here) from Sew-Classic. It comes in 2 sizes of tubes, so they probably mean 1/2 of the small tube. I bought some and after I greased my 301's motor, it was soooo quiet!! There are little open tubes on the motor housing (check your manual..it's very clear where they are) that you just stick the nozzle of the grease tube into and just squeeze. You'll be able to see the grease in the opening after you put it in.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:21 AM

Janice,
thanks, I'm going to have to download the manual as the 301 didn't come with one, just haven't gotten to it yet. We just got home from a 2 month road trip and I'm wiped, but still wanna get to my new babies!

I did get a manual with the 15-91...win some lose some!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Poison Ivy home remedy. My youngest grandson gets PI just awful and to help with the itching put banana peel (pulpy side on your skin) it helps him alot.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
Janice,
thanks, I'm going to have to download the manual as the 301 didn't come with one, just haven't gotten to it yet. We just got home from a 2 month road trip and I'm wiped, but still wanna get to my new babies!

I did get a manual with the 15-91...win some lose some!
Same grease works for both. There is a 301 manual on the ISMACS site.