Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by debbiewi
Charlee,
what was the name of the stuff you clean up the cabinets with? I think you said you got it at Menards??
thanks
debbie
It's called "Howard's Restor-a-finish" followed by Howard's Feed n Wax (I know Glenn, the wood's dead and doesn't need fed! :lol: but I like the way the stuff makes the wood look!) ....I've not found it at Lowe's, but have found it at Home Depot, and most of the antique stores around here carry it. :) Hope that helps!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Originally Posted by grannysewer
Originally Posted by Charlee
Off to post pics in the photo thread...this machine sews beautifully!! :)
Mamie is beautiful!! They really made a piece of furniture back then.
Charlee, is that MOP on Mamie? Both the machine and cabinet are beautiful. So glad you were able to get her.

Congratulations.
No MOP...just decal...I thought it was MOP (mother of pearl inlay) at first glance, but it didn't take much more of a second look to see differently... wish it was!! :lol:
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM

hi i have a 301 ilove her but would like get some new feet do the have a quarter inch foot or something like it what else coud i get and where suzieQ
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 AM

ok... this one is for the Red Eye lovers in NY.

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/fuo/2517376912.html

I need to work more and stopp looking at sewing machine ads.... You quilting ladies are creating a monster. I have been here less then a month and already have 7 machines. I have no time to sew... to busy looking for machines...
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM

Charlee,
what was the name of the stuff you clean up the cabinets with? I think you said you got it at Menards??
thanks
debbie
It's called "Howard's Restor-a-finish" followed by Howard's Feed n Wax (I know Glenn, the wood's dead and doesn't need fed! :lol: but I like the way the stuff makes the wood look!) ....I've not found it at Lowe's, but have found it at Home Depot, and most of the antique stores around here carry it. :) Hope that helps!
thanks. I picked up a treadle this morning, nice cabinet with a Rockford head. Rockford machines were made by The Free company. I hope it cleans up well. Only 1 bobbin but a box full of attatchments. This is my 2nd vinatge machine
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Off to post pics in the photo thread...this machine sews beautifully!! :)
What a lovely machine. I haven't ever seen decals on the wood cabinet.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Charlee,
thanks
debbie
I also found both the products at my local Ace Hardware.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Suzi
I keep reading about having a machine re-timed and would like to ask what that means..... Does that apply only to the newer machines or do the old vintage and antique machines require that. How would you know if your machine needed that service anyway?
When the timing is off, you'll have tons of skipped stitches, or you won't be able to sew without breaking needles. The timing is the correlation between the needle dropping into the bobbin area, and the bobbin shuttle being in the right position to catch the thread from the needle and loop around it. (so to speak)
It applies no matter what machine you have or how old it is, and while sewing machine repair guys would have you believe that it's brain surgery, it's not all that tough to accomplish...good instructions and a little patience will get you through setting the timing on your machine. :)
This is a Youtube video showing exactly what happens when the needle enters the hook area. Skip ahead to 1.25 minutes into the video, to see it, if you don't want to watch the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHhlHbUYwV8

It's really cool to actually see what is happening when we sew.
This is very good! where was it when I had to figure it all out with out information??? The wonders of the internet!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by emmah
I found this in a box of old sewing stuff. Does anyone have any ides what it is for? The small shiny handle is a crank that makes the long straight piece spin. There is a hole in the center of the straight piece. The bottom? looks like it clamps on to something.
Looks as though it would be good to wind embroidery floss.
Either that or to twist something?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM

Charlee,
thanks
debbie
Charlee using the Howard products is okay. It is basically cosmetic fix and you like the looks go far it. As a furniture restorer I go with the old fashioned restoration techniques(restoring the old finish by repairing such as french polish the shellac) I agree with you I don't refinish by stripping I just make the old finish look new again. By the way love your new machine.
Glenn