Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

AH I bought out an old home ec class room full of Singer 404 machines one time - none of them ran - I sure did learn a lot - I have 4 more motors to re-do. It's isn't hard once you have done one and they sure do run better after that. I had to re-do a bunch of tensions - most of the machines were totally frozen up inside. I got all but 2 working - had to have parts from some place. One is missing the needle bar, a tension, a motor, a stitch regulator and a motor. I gave the other to my grandson to play with while mommy sews.

Billy, if you are buying out sewing machine shops you need to check out Arbuckle's Railroad Place up in Noblesville, IN
Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Banned

I need to make a run to Indy and that would be a good excuse to go see it! But I have to get my doctors okay first....Grrrrrrrrrr

Billy
Old 08-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I need to make a run to Indy and that would be a good excuse to go see it! But I have to get my doctors okay first....Grrrrrrrrrr

Billy
he sort of has a web site
He's in his 90's and still working but I noticed recently he's trying to sell - he probably wants an arm and a leg - he is a lot of fun to get him talking though - his shop is REALLY cool - well worth the drive once you feel better.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned

I will definitely have to come up there, hey that will give me a chance to come see you and your collection!! Maybe we can get a group together for a shop hop and thrift store run!

Billy
Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I will definitely have to come up there, hey that will give me a chance to come see you and your collection!! Maybe we can get a group together for a shop hop and thrift store run!

Billy
My wish would be to start at Bob's shop and see if he would show us anything - trouble is if he ever got really going we could be there all year. :-D He pretty much has high end vintage anything in there - some eye candy for sure. I'm equally fascinated with his parts and parts machines. I'm thinking of having him help me get that 401G or the 411G to treadle. He thinks it needs a balance wheel off an old treadle - the clutch knob piece is not the same as most of them - he seems to think he can modify it some how. It has a balance wheel that can be ground down to make room for a belt to pass. Bob says the heavier wheel would make it turn a bit better. I'm just afraid he would charge me an arm and a leg.

Then there is a quilt shop across town probably a mile or so away. I haven't scouted it out yet. I haven't seen much in the thrift shops lately - but maybe if you come in town someone will have donated all the stuff they over priced on CL and we would luck out and find that shop.

As far as my collection - I have mostly slant-o-matics (not sure what all at this point), a few Elnas (only one works), a couple 15 clones, a junk Necchi Nora, a big old honkin' Consew walking foot I used when I had a tent making business, a Singer 241-12 or is it a 13?? I forget... and some Torch and Throws for parts. I'm in sorry need of a shop set up just to work on the mess I have setting around - the dining room isn't cutting it these days.

There are a lot of bicycle shops in town and a lot of bikers. My brother was one. He would head off to where ever every weekend. When he died he must have had 20 or 30 bikes - all in pieces. It seems it was cheaper to buy a new bike than it was to buy parts. Anyway there is a nice bike trail 'The Monon' goes through Indy. http://www.indygreenways.org/monon/monon.htm I'm thinkin' he also did some mountain bike riding somewhere south of Indy.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

My Eldredge Two Spools that has a nice cabinet, attachments, manual, - complete - posted here on page 1169 and the photo shop page 9, I paid $90. For the National Two Spool, just the machine, warranty, manual, attachments, and some very old letters between the owner and National, I paid $65.

Nancy
Monica, and anyone else with a Two Spools - did you know it drops its feed dogs? Geeze, I was reading the manual because I am still not good at inserting the spool, playing with my National, (which sews perfectly) and I read that you loosen some screws under the feed dogs to drop them or just change the depth! Isn't that cool Monica!!!! I am really stoked over this one! Now I have two treadles I can FMQ with!

Nancy
Old 08-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

Okay kids here are a few ads to keep us inspired and looking for more machines!!

[img]http://sewreview.com/img/gallery/992.jpg[/img]

[img]http://patchworkunderground.com/blog...75-366x600.jpg[/img]

[img]http://patchworkunderground.com/blog...11/02/ZhyE.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/170/988/428/rNSn.jpg[/img]

Billy
Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Billy, glad you are feeling well enough to stop by the shop. Take care of yourself.

Okay, here are the pictures of my $15 singer sewing table. It needs work but thought it was worth it. I hope Glenn will agree. But maybe will just have to totally refinish the top with new veneer. I hope not, I am not sure I can do that.

Sorry my camera will not focus well on the close ups. I hope you can get the idea.

table top with insert removed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238727[/ATTACH]

finish is flaking and a few places where grain is lifting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238728[/ATTACH]

edge where inster is the edge of table veneer lifting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238729[/ATTACH]

Sorry blurry, edge of insert with bracket pulled off with splitting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]238731[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-238721.jpe   attachment-238722.jpe   attachment-238723.jpe   attachment-238725.jpe  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by jljack
We made Gym bags (remember when we had to wear shorts & shirts for gym class?), skirts, and something else, but I don't remember what it was.
We had to wear one-piece gym suits. The top and the shorts were connected. UG---LEEE!!!!!
were they turquoise??? ;)
Well, in 7th, 8th and 9th grades they were green--our school color but in high school they changed the color of the gym suit to light blue---yuk! We were just so fashionable in those suits. It didn't matter anyway, the boys gym classes were separate from the girls :-D
Old 08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Billy, glad you are feeling well enough to stop by the shop. Take care of yourself.

Okay, here are the pictures of my $15 singer sewing table. It needs work but thought it was worth it. I hope Glenn will agree. But maybe will just have to totally refinish the top with new veneer. I hope not, I am not sure I can do that.

Sorry my camera will not focus well on the close ups. I hope you can get the idea.
I really like it Lisa and if I know you you were able to get a really good deal on this! You might would have to reveneer the table but its not as hard as it sounds I did a treadle top for a Singer and it looked really nice when I was done with it. Maybe after I get over all of this garbage I will come out there and help you with it. :D

Billy