Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-24-2011, 10:04 AM

Hi, I would like to know what featherweight machine you might recommend as someone's first. i have seen a lot of reference to the 221 and wonder if that would be a good starting point. Several are advertised on ebay but my lack of knowledge makes me hesitant to just "jump in" and purchase one. The prices are quite variable and not all of them say they work. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. i am new to the board and loving every minute i spend on it. thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nantie
Hi, I would like to know what featherweight machine you might recommend as someone's first. i have seen a lot of reference to the 221 and wonder if that would be a good starting point. Several are advertised on ebay but my lack of knowledge makes me hesitant to just "jump in" and purchase one. The prices are quite variable and not all of them say they work. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. i am new to the board and loving every minute i spend on it. thanks
Nantie, Welcome to the wonderful world of vintage machines!!

The 221 IS the Featherweight. :) Be alert to others that claim to be FWs, simply by virtue of being black machines, and the new modern FW, which is another piece of junk. ;)
Ask questions of the sellers. Ask them if the machine works. If it doesn't, don't let that deter you if the machine is in good shape otherwise. It's too easy to fix a FW, and many times the reason the seller will say it doesn't work is because they've threaded it wrong, or have the needle in wrong...

You DO want to inquire about the bobbin case. Those are expensive items to replace.

As for color, the original colors were black, white, and tan.

Good luck with your search!!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM

A nice one in my area has come up. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2563381032.html Anyone interested?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
A nice one in my area has come up. http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2563381032.html Anyone interested?
Candace, they were talking about Featherweights here....the link is to a 66 in treadle. :-) It is a nice machine, though, and a good price!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
OMG! Give up even ONE of my machines?? They all hold their own little place in my heart and are special for one reason or another!! I plan to be buried with them!!! Of course, it's going to have to be a rather large crypt...and I want to be buried sitting up with my feet on a treadle...
:lol:

LOL You going to be taxidermied?!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:38 PM

[quote=Weedwoman]
Originally Posted by Charlee
OMG! Give up even ONE of my machines??

I'm with you. Each and every one of my machines make me happy in their own way. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them how many I have but I don't care cause it's a fun obsession and it keeps alot of the old girls out of the dump and I don't get down in the dumps when I'm using them. lol
Weedwoman, that is sew cute!!! I agree that each machine has its own personality that keeps us from getting down in the dumps!
:wink:
Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Candace, they were talking about Featherweights here....the link is to a 66 in treadle. :-) It is a nice machine, though, and a good price!!

Isn't Grayhare looking for a nice vintage machine in a treadle?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Here's my new-to-me Wheeler & Wilson No. 9 (Seriel Number 80018). I have posted these pictures in the photo thread, but thought I would put them here, too.

I found the glass presser foot in the drawer, polished it up and put it on, but I'm going to go slowly with the cleaning. The decals are beautiful, and I don't want to wreck them.

Then I'm going to quilt with this machine.

And I'd like to hear from other owners all about your experiences with the Wheeler & Wilson No. 9, both the good and the bad. No bad, right???

Wheeler & Wilson No. 9 (#80018)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246301[/ATTACH]

Glass presser foot, Patent date 1861.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]246303[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-246295.jpe   attachment-246297.jpe  
Old 08-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by FirstQuilt
Here's my new-to-me Wheeler & Wilson No. 9 (Seriel Number 80018). I have posted these pictures in the photo thread, but thought I would put them here, too.
Oh what a nice WW9. Thanks for sharing your lovely.
:)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Actually, there are many discussions going on at once. I'm not talking about FWs.