Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1792 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 792 1292 1692 1742 1782 1791 1792
Results 44,776 to 44,790 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
    Hi,

Welcome to the QB.

Here's a list of Davis warranties and Bill of Sales from the Needlebar. Hasn't been updated in a few years:

http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.php/Davis

There's another list on the Davis VF Yahoo group that is more current but you'd need to join the group and search the "Database". This list only has the Vertical Feeds.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/davis_vf/info

Jon
    Thank you Jon we are going to save this page. We have 4 Davis machines now.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Greetings! I have been on the qb for a few years and appreciated the info Lost in 51 gave a handful of years ago when I was contemplating the purchase of a Singer featherweight. The pages I scanned tonight were interesting, so yours truly will be checking in from time to time. In summary, Happy New Year and enjoy this thread!

Greetings all,
    For a Christmas Gift, I gave my wife an New Home sewing table (Model 915), minus the machine and the foot pedal. There are a few other missing parts and I was hoping to find a place that would have some type of manual or parts area, specifically for the table. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just finished perusing the big auction house and I must vent somewhere.... I am getting pretty discouraged by the number of "Restored" older sewing machines. Completely repainted, odd decals and then a garish clear coat. it it the latter that really drives me nuts....

They are pricing the "repaints" as if they were as valuable as original painted units. Newer collectors are going to be in for a big surprise when they try to resell them.

Be careful folks.

...end of rant.

I understand your pain. I have been seeing these and wondering why someone would do that to a machine and who would want to buy one. IF people keep buying them then they are going to continue on making them. disgusting.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

At least they didn't drill through them to make a lamp.
    The finish is only original once. Any repaint-even back to original appearance-affects the value in a negative way to collectors.
    There are some exceptions. A badly rusted machine with no or very little original finish is one. In that case removing the rust and giving it a new finish will extend the life of the machine. The problem is there are people who are repainting good machines just because they can.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Yeah, it is the garish modern looking super shiny, hard to ever undo finish that irks me the most....

Singer 99K

Hi all. I'm just going to quote myself, as I excitedly told the story about this machine on Facebook:
    Only a 99K, but given to me by the original owner (who bought it new when she was 15). She had oiled regularly but never had it cleaned, so it was filled up with dust bunnies and solid oil-lint paste. Took quite a while to get rid of it all, but she's now working like it's 1937 again. Does a really nice buttonhole.
    It came with the original accessory box, which was missing a few bits and needed a little attention (clips bent slightly so they work again), and the bentwood cover in excellent condition. I'm calling her Dot after her original owner, a tailoress, who sewed uniforms for the army and navy in England during WW2.
    She chewed my ear off for an hour, but it was a very pleasant one. Her relatives say she spends too much time talking about the past. She's nearly 94, has gone through WW2, husband has died, still does all her own cooking, cleaning and sewing (just on
    a lighter machine now because, well, she's 94!). She's earned the right to spend as long talking about her interesting life as she pleases. Wish she weren't moving interstate, or I'd love to visit her every week.

These are before and after.
    Name:  99K-20160112.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  116.7 KBName:  IMG_20160112_235708.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  86.7 KB
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Very nice Mike!

Cari

Nothing "only" about her, Mike. She's a beauty!

Fantastic machine and History! That's a keeper!!!

Blog Entries
    Isn't it nice to have an older machine that has an interesting story with it. Bet she can tell you some stories about the uniforms she what worked on and for who. Enjoy your machine she is a beauty.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Looks great, lucky you.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

99s are one of my favorites. Great machine!
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    this thread is being closed because it contains more posts about personal trials and tribulations than advice about Vintage Machines. If you want to share your personal stories, please post them in PDA just as the other members do. It is very difficult for those looking for machine advice to wade through the personal stuff. And there are too many copyright pictures posted here. If you find a picture on another site that you want to discuss, use a link to it. I would suggest that you start a new thread about help with vintage machines and keep it on topic so that our members and visitors can find the information they are seeking.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?