Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-25-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by cedarvalleyquilts
I do my piecing on the treadle and my quilting on my 50's model Singer. I first learned to sew on a treadle...it was a Christmas gift from my husband (a Red Eye), but I didn't know how to sew. (laughter). I sure learned quick, though. :)
What Singer do you have from the 50's?

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by qltndog
Nancy & Sharon,
Thank you both for all your information. I feel so much better knowing I don't have to take the whole machine apart. I will go to the store and get my supplies tomorrow and then on Saturday I can start cleaning her. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!!
Joni
You are quite welcome! Let us know how it goes - I have 4 FW's now - I just love to take them to classes!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
This is funny. Going through post on CLs; got a good laugh.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2283209760.html
Oh My Golly! I think, I might flag that ad in Craigslist for being misrepresented or whatever you can put on the ad when you flag it! Actually, it would be better if everyone on here sent that person an e-mail telling him how wrong he is about treadles! Now that would be funny!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 AM

Sometimes it is fun to dream of what to do with items from CLs. IF I had a large home, one room would be a Victorian room with numerous old lady treadles and a sofa.
Another room would be the Vintage room with the electric sewing machines from the 50s and 60s, just haven't found the right furniture for that room yet. But here is a sofa that I found for the room with the treadles.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/atq/2281008065.html
Monica that sofa is perfect for the treadle room! Love it!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I am waiting for a response concerning this machine for more pictures.

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/atq/2274883842.html
[/quote]

Wow, that does look like a New Home, but I had never heard of the Climax! Very pretty machine!

Nancy
Old 03-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by melinda1962
I can't find a part number on it but here is what mine looks like. I had to unscrew it and rewire it when I got it; the old one was a bit frazzled for my liking.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by melinda1962
Is there any way you can post a picture of the plug part on the machine? I have a 15 clone that is odd like that, 3 plug-in blade slots in sort of an arc. Let us see what it looks like and maybe someone will have a helper piece. I agree about the 15 bobbin case. If you have access to another 15 you can test it out and see if a regular one will work. Good luck.

Melinda

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I went back to look at the Japanese cloned 15 (the badged Sears Kenmore)today, money in hand, ready to buy. I had made my decision to get it, but sadly found it did NOT have it's cord or it's bobbin case. The person I talked to said it was her sister's, and she took my phone # so her sister could call me. I am hoping and praying she can find that cord and the bobbin case at her house, as both are very specific to this machine and it's dead in the water without them. WHAT A BUMMER...
I don't have the machine so I can't take a picture, but your description sounds exactly like it. The plug is on top of the motor, too, not on the right side like most all Singers.
I guess it's different... the machine I'm looking at has the 3 prongs pointing straight UP on the motor. Looks like yours has prongs pointing to the back. The same cord may work, but also may not... PM'd you.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by olebat
I see one like that at the flea market whenever I go... It makes me so sad. How exactly does one go about getting a machine into that kind of shape? Leave it out in the back yard for about 50 years? It would be an incredible amount of work to get that looking anything close to decent again, and look at the price!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

This is funny. Going through post on CLs; got a good laugh.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/atq/2283209760.html
Ha! Somebody's off their meds... You should post an ad there that says, "Wanted: Old treadle sewing machines".
Old 03-25-2011, 06:10 AM

If the Craigslist people think no one wants them, maybe they will lower their prices. Good thought anyway.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Someone needs to rescue her and give her a nice spa treatment and a little TLC.