Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Here's the FW I just bought... really dirty, really stinky, missing paint along front edge and motor is nearly frozen. I have my job cut out for me~!
sewbizgirl - looks like you got the hay brushed off. Can't wait to see how she cleans up. Is it a Centennial model? Looks like a faint blue under the junk on the emblem.
I don't think so... it's a 1955 model. What year was the Centennial?

Billy
Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
You did catch the sewing bug. Remember that you can set those treadles up in a U-shape for a sewing center with on chair that sits in the center. That is what I did and I love the arrangement. Have fun treadling!
Actually, I will probably keep one and see if any of my Amish neighbors can use the other one. We have a little colony of Amish who have moved here in upstate NY in recent years from PA cause the land down there is too $$$$ for them. I am very glad to have them take over the farms here. I guess its hard to convince young folks to work from sunup to sundown and lose money. (Mainly dairy farms here.)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:04 AM

OMG!! Is that yellow sewing machine original yellow? I love the various colors that the Japanese 15s come in. I am on the hunt if it is. Sounds like a fun weekend to me. My husband works nights, so I have a lot of those weekends. My mom or kids will call and ask what I am doing......standard answer is playing with sewing machines.

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Thought you all might like to see how my GFs and I are spending the first night of a long weekend!!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:06 AM

Wow emmah, I think I suggested that on page 823. Glad you got it going.
I need help! I got a nice Singer Spartan (the no-frills 99) and have cleaned and oiled it...but the presser foot doesn't clamp down tight on the feed dogs. It has a lot of "play" in it and so the fabric doesn't move well no matter what stitch length I set it on. Other than that it runs very nicely, quiet and smooth. Any suggestions?
Couldn't wait for help, so applied logic. I took apart the presser foot mechanism and found that there were two springs inside a tube that had become entwined together. Twisted them apart and re inserted them in the tube, and...tada......presser foot now clamps down. (Guess I am getting braver in my old age.)
Old 03-18-2011, 10:09 AM

I need help! I got a nice Singer Spartan (the no-frills 99) and have cleaned and oiled it...but the presser foot doesn't clamp down tight on the feed dogs. Any suggestions?
Couldn't wait for help, so applied logic. I took apart the presser foot mechanism and found that there were two springs inside a tube that had become entwined together. Twisted them apart and re inserted them in the tube, and...tada......presser foot now clamps down. (Guess I am getting braver in my old age.)
Yes, brave! Good job. I've never heard of this type of problem, but have now 'filed' it away for future remembrance should I also find a balky, loose presser foot mech. Thanks...
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I need information on a 1928 Singer 99-13. It didn't come with power cord or controller. It is in a bentwood case, but no key. I have been searching and searching for a picture of the key I need, but can't find one.

I also see that some of the 99-13s came with a knee controller and some with a foot controller. How do I tell which one I have?

HELP!!! :-) Thanks!!
Still hoping someone knows about this!! Thanks!! Janice
Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM

Actually, I will probably keep one and see if any of my Amish neighbors can use the other one. We have a little colony of Amish who have moved here in upstate NY in recent years from PA cause the land down there is too $$$$ for them. I am very glad to have them take over the farms here. I guess its hard to convince young folks to work from sunup to sundown and lose money. (Mainly dairy farms here.)
Great idea. My husband and I are looking for land/farm in maine... and the place we think we want is about 20 minutes from an old Shaker area, now populated with Amish. They have a tack shoppe, a hardward/drygoods store, and a home/barn building business. We think highly of the folks we've met, nice people for the most part. I would imagine that a treadle sewing machine would be of great use and appreciated.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM

I need information on a 1928 Singer 99-13. It didn't come with power cord or controller. It is in a bentwood case, but no key. I have been searching and searching for a picture of the key I need, but can't find one.

I also see that some of the 99-13s came with a knee controller and some with a foot controller. How do I tell which one I have?

HELP!!! :-) Thanks!!
Still hoping someone knows about this!! Thanks!! Janice
Janice, I'm not sure... but it seems to me that the bentwood cased machines that used a knee lift... had a hole in the bottom front of the case (towards the right side) where the long metal knee controller fitted into (through the case and into the machine). If there's no hole in the front of the bottom of the case, I'd guess that it was meant to be a foot controller. I'd do a google image search for that model and look at them to see.

99-13 with knee controller
[ATTACH=CONFIG]171468[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171463.jpe  
Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM

My bentwood cased 128 (1952) has a foot controller.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I saw this on craigslist yesterday. I sent an email asking the brand of the mcahine. Guy said he has no idea what it is. For $25.00 I am waiting to hear from him again about going to look at it. What do any of you think?
I'm not sure either but think from the cabinet it may be a Free.

The Singer cabinets usually were not that ornate or curved.