Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 03-18-2011, 07:53 AM

I talked to the guy with the $25.00 machine. He says the word Minnesota is on it. Don't know what that is but, I am going to look at it this afternoon. If it fits in the Jeep it will come home with me. It's amazing what I can cram into that car!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:10 AM

Forget the last post. The guy just called me back and said it is too heavy for him to help me get it out of the basement. He is 76 yrs. old. So, I have to wait til Sunday when my son can go with me. But at least the guy is holding it for me.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Here's the FW I just bought... really dirty, really stinky, missing paint along front edge and motor is nearly frozen. I have my job cut out for me~!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-171412.jpe  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:38 AM

I just saw a singer machine at thrift store. The only number on it was G 53-22. It didn't have any decals on it other than Singer and the medallion. Anyone know about it? It's in case with no top,but does have the foot pedal. Thanks, Bobbie
Old 03-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysewer
I just saw a singer machine at thrift store. The only number on it was G 53-22. It didn't have any decals on it other than Singer and the medallion. Anyone know about it? It's in case with no top,but does have the foot pedal. Thanks, Bobbie
That numbering is strange for a Singer-- not a serial number, and it's not a model number I've ever heard of. Can you take and post a picture of it? Someone is bound to recognize what it is.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Here's the FW I just bought... really dirty, really stinky, missing paint along front edge and motor is nearly frozen. I have my job cut out for me~!
sewbizgirl - looks like you got the hay brushed off. Can't wait to see how she cleans up. Is it a Centennial model? Looks like a faint blue under the junk on the emblem.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
sewbizgirl - looks like you got the hay brushed off. Can't wait to see how she cleans up. Is it a Centennial model? Looks like a faint blue under the junk on the emblem.
I don't think so... it's a 1955 model. What year was the Centennial?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
It's an epidemic! A month ago I had a nice clean living room, but now look at it. It is a machine shop and reeks of kerosene. The two treadles and the Singer 99 I got from a Craigslist ad in a remote PA location, cost $25 for all three. (All need some parts, but not too bad condition) The Singer 237 a friend picked up for $10. Needs a bobbin case. The Singer 27 I got on ebay cause it was cheaper than the parts if bought individually for the treadle, but even tho it is in rough shape, it is all there except for the shuttle. So I am sad to be robbing it to fix the other. Does anyone know of a source for vintage parts reasonably priced?
You did catch the sewing bug. Remember that you can set those treadles up in a U-shape for a sewing center with on chair that sits in the center. That is what I did and I love the arrangement. Have fun treadling!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 AM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid]
Originally Posted by goosepoint
I have a stupid question = is a 'parlor' cabinet not necessary a good thing? I am use to seeing the beautiful traditonal cabinets
I think, but not 100% sure, that, 'back in the day', the parlor cabinets were more expensive because they looked like furniture and less like a sewing machine, just as you thought. I have a parlor cabinet but I find it very heavy looking and I prefer the looks of the regular treadle cabinet....maybe because they look so old fashioned.
I too prefer the look of a regular treadle since the irons show. For me those treadles with the irons showing are a piece of art. There are some gorgeous parlors out there with ornate woodwork, but most of the parlors that I have seen just look like large wooden boxes.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Will my 201 be able to wind bobbins for the 185? My 185 didn't come with any bobbins and I'm having a hard time finding which type it will take. From what I can gather, it is the same as the 66, 99 and 201 machines (all of which I have).
The 185 takes the class 66 bobbins just like the 201 will.

Billy