Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
If my husband wouldn't kill me (and if I had the money and space) after buying the featherweight and the 99, I would love to have this! The case is really cool and it would be neat to have a treadle!

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2409565933.html
I'd SO be on that one and risk the divorce caused by spending that much on a machine, and getting rid of his recliner to have a place to put it!! :lol:
Old 06-09-2011, 03:01 PM

[quote=deplaylady][quote=jljack]
Originally Posted by vintagemotif

If my husband wouldn't kill me (and if I had the money and space) after buying the featherweight and the 99, I would love to have this! The case is really cool and it would be neat to have a treadle!

Pretty cabinet and machine! The decals on the machine is Tiffany or Gingerbread.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack

VM, do you have that Lotus 66-1? I am looking at one to buy. Anything very unusual about that particular model? I don't know the SN yet, so I can't date it. Thanks.

Edit - I found the SN - It's 1909.
Did you answer your own question?
A Singer Lotus 66-1 was the first of the Singer 66. The decals are just there for decoration and a way to sell machines. The Lotus was the first decals used from 1900-1910, and then Singer switched to the Redeye decal. My two Lotus 66-1 are back mount machines which means the the side mount attachments can't be used with them. I have used my oldest, 1907, to make a complete baby quilt, from piecing to straight-stitch quilting. The machine makes a pretty stitch!

More info on the Singer 66s.
http://www.sewnuts.com/66/class66.htm
No, my question was whether you owned that 66-1 you showed the pic of, and if there was anything unusual about that model. You just answered both....I do so appreciate everyone's information here. I am really a novice at this vintage machine collecting. I don't want to get one that I can't do anything with. My collection so far: Elna Supermatic, Singer 301, Singer 99k, Western Electric Rotary 1917. Hoping to add this 66-1, and I'll try to get a treadle cabinet to put it into. It's been electrified, but I would like to treadle it. The 99 I am planning to put a hand crank on in the near future. I just found some Greist top mount attachments for my Western Electric. It didn't have any when I bought it. I have to rewire that one. Again, I do so appreciate any and all information I get here. Thanks!! :thumbup:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/atq/2409565933.html[/quote]

I vote with Charlee - That is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

I'd SO be on that one and risk the divorce caused by spending that much on a machine, and getting rid of his recliner to have a place to put it!! :lol:
You know, it IS much prettier than that old recliner! And it is really cool the way the machine pops out off the parlor cabinet. I had even bookmarked a youtube video before I saw it listed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8a_...481D8&index=14
Old 06-09-2011, 04:48 PM

Janice, you surely have a smart looking car there. Its a pity they don't make them like that any more, cars back then had real style. Shortly after we were married, we bought a 1957 Chevrolet 4-door. It was blue and white.
That was one beautiful car. I think the cars today all look pretty much alike, what a pity.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM

miz Johnny, That looks like my shuttle but I still don't know how to thread it. I learned to sew on a new home shuttle but the bobbin loaded from the top into the cylinder and was fairly quick and easy to thread. But this one puzzles me. I have had this machine tucked away for thirty-five years and got interested in getting it to work from this thread.
I certainly appreciate knowing more about it. Thanks for what information you have given me already.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Thank you purplefiend, but my shuttle loads from the long side. I looked at this youtube site but it doesn't help me with the threading of it. I am not at home at the present. When I get back I will have my DH take a picture and then you will see what my problem is. Miz Johnny says it sounds like a transverse shuttle. This is a great place to come for antique machines. I am so happy to have a place to ask questions! shelburn
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=deplaylady]

Pretty cabinet and machine! The decals on the machine is Tiffany or Gingerbread.
The machine is a Singer 15-30, beautiful machine & OMG the parlor cabinet is to die for!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM

[quote=purplefiend][quote=vintagemotif]

The machine is a Singer 15-30, beautiful machine & OMG the parlor cabinet is to die for!
I have that same cabinet but mine is really dark and I don't like it but I do like the one in the ad. I wonder if it's possible to lighten a darkened cabinet by removing the shellac/varnish.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

[quote=cabbagepatchkid][quote=purplefiend]

I have that same cabinet but mine is really dark and I don't like it but I do like the one in the ad. I wonder if it's possible to lighten a darkened cabinet by removing the shellac/varnish.
Numerous cabinets seem to have the dark varnish/shellac on them. I too wonder if removing the shellac/varnish would make a big difference. I sanded one of my cabinets down and just used tung oil on it to finish it, but it is still dark looking.

This cabinet is gorgeous!