Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1743 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 743 1243 1643 1693 1733 1742 1743 1744 1753 ... LastLast
Results 43,551 to 43,575 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

For another $25. maybe he would have helped you carry it down.

I guess I'm too cheap. Now, if he offered to clean it for $25... Getting it in the house was a pain but I woke up the next morning with sore legs, shoulders, and a smile. I've been looking at industrial machines for a couple of months, thinking about a Pfaff 134 or a modern Juki. I don't think this 130 would cut it.

What type of needle does the 130 use? I'm hoping a 15x1.
    Sharon

Yes, that's correct: 15x1. From what I've read about the 130 (which at this point isn't much), they used to take a needle designated the 130R, appropriately enough. This was essentially a 15x1 but with the added feature of a different eye design that diminished the bias between the hook and the needle while cycling (130s are rotary, not oscillating). This design eventually became the standard 15x1 design we all use today.

Nifty!

Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    Yes, that's correct: 15x1. From what I've read about the 130 (which at this point isn't much), they used to take a needle designated the 130R, appropriately enough. This was essentially a 15x1 but with the added feature of a different eye design that diminished the bias between the hook and the needle while cycling (130s are rotary, not oscillating). This design eventually became the standard 15x1 design we all use today.

Nifty!
    I'm happy to hear that the 130 takes a 15x1 needle. My Pfaff 60 treadle does also. I wonder if the 130 could be treadled and would probably fit in the 60's cabinet.
    I've been drooling over a Pfaff 130 lately, however I'm sure that another machine in the herd wouldn't go over well with the spousal unit.
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    .....I wonder if the 130 could be treadled and would probably fit in the 60's cabinet.....
    Sharon
    Yes. I have one put together (Pfaff 130-6 & Singer Treadle) as a MUTT (Multi-Use Traveling Treadle), for use by a booth Vendor in small remote areas. I used the top out of an electric Singer Model 88 Cosmopolitan Cabinet. It works just fine, but Iím going to stick with my first one that I built, a Singer 319W and straight-leg Singer MUTT, to use in my booths.

CD in Oklahoma
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

LIKE. Simpler, lighter clean
    Jim

"What do you mean worrying doesn't help? Everything I ever worried about...never happened!"
    quote by __________ I forget who.

CD, you have the spoked hand wheel which I think looks one heck of a lot better than the Bakelite version I have. And your treadle table looks great. I also like your spool pin setup. Thanks for posting your pictures.

I need some help diagnosing a problem with my 15 91. Sometimes the upper thread gets hung on something in the bobbin area and makes a nest on the bottom. It only happens every 6 to 8 inches. It doesn't hang up, just makes a noise and keeps sewing. Anyone else have this problem? I'm thinking of ordering a new bobbin case from Sew Classic.

I've watched it in motion. The thread goes down and around but the loop hangs up, then the next stitch brings the whole mess up to the fabric and the machine just keeps stitching. Can't find any burrs or scratches that would explain the thread getting caught down there.

Does anyone know what Singer needles size 16 X 231 Y fit? There are a couple of dozen of them. Also have Groz-Beckert B 27s, also labeled DC X 27. No clue what they go to.
    Last edited by redmadder; 05-21-2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    I would be looking for burrs, rust or dried up oil on the bobbin case, hook well, check the whole area. Also check the throat plate for burrs.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I've cleaned and buffed all the pieces, took it all apart and examined everything, went over it with 800 grit and oil. The thread comes down around the bobbin with each stitch and is pulled up. Every once in a while, the loop hangs up, the next loop comes down and pulls it all up. (Can you see me practically standing on my head to watch this process while sewing very, very slowly?)

She didn't have a bobbin case and I've bought two, both are not Simanco, but stamped Iris. They both seem to rattle around a bit, maybe are not quite a good fit. I like a mystery but may have to set the 301 up for the third machine, there is sewing I've got to get done. I'll quit venting now.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

Blog Entries
    Buff it up with aluminum foil.

Blog Entries
    Been off of here for a while and catching up was a joy! That Pfaff 130 has me drooling. Just curious, that coffee grinding noise was referring to the attachment, not the machine. Right?
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Hey, Annette -- Yes, the attachment makes all the racket. The 130 itself is actually quite smooth and quiet. The coffee grinder is infamous for not only its noise but for its clunkiness and not-so-great stitch quality. But I don't own the attachment; this is all from what I've read, not from experience. In looking at 130s with the attachment compared to those w/out (sometimes a difference of ~$300 or more), it doesn't seem worth it at all.

This is the first time I've used the 301. Its very clean, bought from a sew-vac shop. The tension seems to be just right on top and bottom but it skips random stitches.

New needle, hey what size needle? Standard. My GD's birthday present is a dress from the movie 'Frozen'. My 201 needs a check spring for the tension, my 1941 15 kinda runs a few stitches past where I want to stop. That's not a problem piecing cause I just stop the wheel by hand. Not real good for sewing satin and lace.

I'd panic but the Featherweight is doing just great. So my first project sewing with her. My sons will be proud.

I wonder if the take up lever is slipping off the pin. No time to check that. Anyone?

I bought this one yesterday (along with a 15-90). I'm looking forward to using it.
    Name:  singer201-2 (800x600).jpg
Views: 192
Size:  237.7 KB
    And I picked this one up last week for free, complete with all the accessories (cams, buttonholer, needles, etc.). He's moving and so he had to dump it.
    Name:  158.17560inCabinet.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  274.5 KB
    There are free machines out there, ready for pick-up. Don't pay too much for vintage style!

Blog Entries
    Nope don't pay too much for anything if you can help it and then sell it for everything you can get... LOL

Kenmore,
    You'll love sewing with the 201, its a lovely quiet machine. My 201 is a hand crank, I like it better as a treadle machine. Never a had 201-2, that's what you have.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    This is the first time I've used the 301. Its very clean, bought from a sew-vac shop. The tension seems to be just right on top and bottom but it skips random stitches.

New needle, hey what size needle? Standard. My GD's birthday present is a dress from the movie 'Frozen'. My 201 needs a check spring for the tension, my 1941 15 kinda runs a few stitches past where I want to stop. That's not a problem piecing cause I just stop the wheel by hand. Not real good for sewing satin and lace.

I'd panic but the Featherweight is doing just great. So my first project sewing with her. My sons will be proud.

I wonder if the take up lever is slipping off the pin. No time to check that. Anyone?
    Your 301 uses the same type needle that your FW does, threads the same and needle goes in the same too.
    Sharon W. in Texas

Yep, lol Buy low and sell high. I'm always amazed people throw these machines into the trash.

Sharon, when I dragged it inside, the first thing I did is try an edge stitch. I got closer to the edge with the 201 than with any other machine I've used and the stitches are perfectly straight. Awesome! And you're right, it's really quiet and smooth.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up several machines for free. The owner had to move in a hurry and was going to leave all of his machines in the house. I had to pass on a few Godzilla White machines but this is what I got. I needed the Karma and I was guessing he could use some money so they weren't exactly free, but that was my choice. Here is a quick look at them. I took a front and back of them before they went into storage. Except for the Brother, they all came from the same place. The Brother I got at the same time in a separate deal and is the only one that is not for sale.
    ~G~

Singer 15 in a cabinet.
    Name:  15 back and front.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  1.91 MB

Red Eye possibly for parts.
    Name:  66 front and back.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  1.12 MB

Aldens dusty but looks like it is in good shape.
    Name:  Aldens front and back.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  1.89 MB

Turquoise Brother. Keeping this one.
    Name:  Brother front and back.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  1.25 MB

Cardinal in a case with unique decals.
    Name:  Cardinal front and back.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  648.6 KB

Continued next page.

The rest of the machines.

A Free Westinghouse for parts.
    Name:  FW front and back.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  1.57 MB

Compac in a broken case.
    Name:  Compac front and back..half.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  600.3 KB

"The Elgin" was named after my home town.
    Name:  Elgin front and back..half.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  705.4 KB

1941 Singer 66.
    Name:  singer 66 1941 front and back..half.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  614.7 KB

Singer 99 in a bentwood case.
    Name:  Singer 99 front and back.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  1.72 MB

Well there you have it. That stash should keep me busy for a while.
    ~G~

Wow! What a haul. Most of them are in decent shape, too. The Compac is going to be great, as is the Elgin, the Cardinal, and the Singer 15 with the WWII decals. From the looks of things, you've got some good karma going on.

Blog Entries
    Grant, I'm waiting for after shots.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Grant, I'm waiting for after shots.
    Miriam, I am already working on the Brother and it is close to being done. I have posted pictures on my Sew Restored page of it. It cleaned up very nicely. I want to have a custom base made for it.
    Ken More, (I couldn't resist) It is a haul. A lot of job security too. And everyone could use a little more Karma. The 15's markings are called RAF. There is some conflicting things being said about where the name came from and why. I am just going to call it a 15 and leave it at that.
    ~G~