Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1752 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 752 1252 1652 1702 1742 1751 1752 1753 1762 ... LastLast
Results 43,776 to 43,800 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

I'd better send you a pm. I don't want to get in trouble.

Ok Guys,
    I've got sad news. I bought 2 different 15-91s planning to refurbish and get at least 1 maybe 2 working machines. (The motor on the first one was bad so that is why I bought the second) I ordered a new controller and plug and light from Jenny. I have worked on them soldering wires and polishing and cleaning and following all the directions in The Vintage Sewing Machine Blog for rewiring a potted motor. Still no go. I have decided to cut my losses ($150) and just buy one that is already refurbished. Question: What can I do with all the stuff I have and now do not need? Can I part it out? Is ebay the best for that? I'm concerned that there are not enough sewing machine enthusiasts in my local area for craigslist. What should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    That ring goes at the top of the spring.
    ~G~
    THX! I appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by Shearling View Post
    THX! I appreciate that!
    You are welcome. I find that it is best to take photos of the machine before doing any work to it from every angle possible. That way if something isn't going together right you may be able to find how it was to start with. Unfortunately, that ring would have been hard to spot no matter what angle you took a picture from.
    I am glad I could help.
    ~G~

Quote Originally Posted by Sherricrisp View Post
    Ok Guys,
    I've got sad news. I bought 2 different 15-91s planning to refurbish and get at least 1 maybe 2 working machines. (The motor on the first one was bad so that is why I bought the second) I ordered a new controller and plug and light from Jenny. I have worked on them soldering wires and polishing and cleaning and following all the directions in The Vintage Sewing Machine Blog for rewiring a potted motor. Still no go. I have decided to cut my losses ($150) and just buy one that is already refurbished. Question: What can I do with all the stuff I have and now do not need? Can I part it out? Is ebay the best for that? I'm concerned that there are not enough sewing machine enthusiasts in my local area for craigslist. What should I do?
    What is it that's not working? Just tell us what's happening with your machines and I am 100% that someone will be able to help you out. 15-91 are pretty much sturdy machines. Don't give up on them yet.

I have a 201 (aluminium) for sale at the moment for $120. I wrote about how great the machine is, its history, how much work I put into cleaning and oiling it so it works like new again. Also mentioned that a normal sewing shop will charge $10 more than the asking price just to service it.
    Got a reply from some chump offering me $50: Obviously a "low baller", and I've just had enough of these types. This was my reply:

No worries, but I'll have to "un-service" it first so you get what you're paying for: I'll have to make sure the timing's out, re-set the needle height a little, replace the oil with 60 year old rust and dirt and replace all the wax with grime. With the motor and light I'll replace the new wiring with the 60 year old disintegrating stuff (if I can find it in the bin), scrape off the motor grease and add a little grit. Several inches of old thread stuck around the bobbin and a handful of compacted lint should get us back to the typical $50 201 mark.

Let me know if you want the $50 version, or a machine that works.

Yes I know he won't offer to buy it, but it felt good to reply appropriately.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    You might keep a couple around like you just described and if they want to talk you down you can point and tell them you might have something they can afford...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    You might keep a couple around like you just described and if they want to talk you down you can point and tell them you might have something they can afford...
    I do have one with a bent neck actually. It's unfixable and always going to be stiff but I'll let it go for $50. Some might say I already let him have it
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    I have a 201 (aluminium) for sale at the moment for $120. I wrote about how great the machine is, its history, how much work I put into cleaning and oiling it so it works like new again. Also mentioned that a normal sewing shop will charge $10 more than the asking price just to service it.
    Got a reply from some chump offering me $50: Obviously a "low baller", and I've just had enough of these types. This was my reply:

No worries, but I'll have to "un-service" it first so you get what you're paying for: I'll have to make sure the timing's out, re-set the needle height a little, replace the oil with 60 year old rust and dirt and replace all the wax with grime. With the motor and light I'll replace the new wiring with the 60 year old disintegrating stuff (if I can find it in the bin), scrape off the motor grease and add a little grit. Several inches of old thread stuck around the bobbin and a handful of compacted lint should get us back to the typical $50 201 mark.

Let me know if you want the $50 version, or a machine that works.

Yes I know he won't offer to buy it, but it felt good to reply appropriately.
    Haha, that's great. I love it.

Hi all, I'm going to post this on the thread I started about the Singer model 12 but, does anyone know where I can find a bobbin, shuttle and needles for the model 12? I'm going to go look on eBay but I thought you all might know someone that has some or perhaps a website. I checked sew-classic and the model 12 isn't listed.... too old I suspect.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Quote Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
    Hi all, I'm going to post this on the thread I started about the Singer model 12 but, does anyone know where I can find a bobbin, shuttle and needles for the model 12? I'm going to go look on eBay but I thought you all might know someone that has some or perhaps a website. I checked sew-classic and the model 12 isn't listed.... too old I suspect.
    There was a discussion a month or so ago, started by SteveH (now banned unfortunately) about obtaining these needles: I don't believe anyone makes them. Steve discussed having them made by Schmetz. I'll ask him where it's at and get back to you.
    Oh, and I should mention it wasn't a profit thing: He wanted people to commit to buying 100 needles at cost price. Shmetz does a minimum run of 5,000
    Last edited by manicmike; 08-19-2014 at 06:44 PM.

There was a discussion a month or so ago, started by SteveH (now banned unfortunately) about obtaining these needles: I don't believe anyone makes them. Steve discussed having them made by Schmetz. I'll ask him where it's at and get back to you.
    Oh, and I should mention it wasn't a profit thing: He wanted people to commit to buying 100 needles at cost price. Shmetz does a minimum run of 5,000
    I looked on eBay and can buy the needles. And there are some Schmetz needles listed on eBay as well. They are pricey but obtainable.

Steve H has been banned??? What happened there??? That's hard to believe. He was great at giving us help on cleaning up machines. And he did some fantastic restorations.
    --- Jean

I'd rather spend money on my quilting hobby than the therapist.... I'm probably $$$ ahead.... and I'm happy!!

Blog Entries
    He was banned because he mentioned he was wanting to sell some machines at a flea market. Someone asked him where it was and he said he could ship. That has been removed a few pages back.

I will really miss Steve.

Yes, I will miss Steve as well. His information was so helpful.
    --- Jean

Blog Entries
    lol, I love what you told him.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

I think the minimum run was 10,000 needles and the cost was over $5,000. You'd need 100 people ordering 100 needles and all agreeing as to application and size. Tough to get a consensus.

If you can only pick one needle and one size what would you choose? The agony!

Jon

Hello everyone-
    I just joined Quilting Board, not so much for the quilting but to be right here. I've spent the last week glued to the computer reading everything in the vintage machine thread. The dishes are piled in the sink, the laundry is knee high, two quilts and three customer machines haven't been finished, haven't seen the cats in a couple days, lol, I think I've found my home. I'm an avid sewer, machine embroiderer and quilter, but my main love is working on vintage, mostly 1950s sewing machines. Not really a Singer gal(though I have a few) I'm into the Japanese machines in general and Brother and Brother built machines specifically. Some people call me the Brother guru and others just call me a freak, lol. My family threatened to disown me more than once but any more they just roll their eyes when a new machine shows up. They finally realized that this is what makes me happy. Enthusiastically looking forward to being an active part of this group.

Cari

Blog Entries
    Hi Cari, Welcome to the board. you will be right at home with the rest of us vintage sewing machine freaks.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Cari - Welcome and have some fun.
    Freaks??? We are the normal ones - everybody that doesn't love old metal sewing machines has to be the freaks.
    Last edited by miriam; 08-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Miriam are you sure about that!!!
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Hi Cari! It is nice to know that someone else has the same thing, isn't it? I'm not all that new, but I still have dishes, laundry and cats that get sidelined in favor of the vintage machine research.

Those Brothers you posted photos of in the other thread are lovely. I don't seem to find them around here, and now I know why! (Though a guy at the Value Village told me that any machine in a table there usually get sold within a few hours, despite the high prices they put on them there.)

Blog Entries
    Welcome Cari, I guess you already know by reading all the post we are a very addictive bunch. I don't get to come on the computer as often as I would like. I still try to keep up. You will have fun reading the post here and seeing all the machines.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Welcome Cari. At least you know what makes you happy. There are plenty out there that still don't have a clue...... And, if you love vintage machines, you've found the right place.
    --- Jean

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    haven't seen the cats in a couple days
    Welcome Cari. Just a reminder: Feed the cats