Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1754 of 1792 FirstFirst ... 754 1254 1654 1704 1744 1753 1754 1755 1764 ... LastLast
Results 43,826 to 43,850 of 44790

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Nice looking little machine. I like the simplicity of the decals, they're more like a machine from the 1930s on but the bentwood case and style of the lettering makes it seem older. I'm not even going to guess at the actual year it was made. Very pretty machine.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Blog Entries
    Hello everyone! I haven't visited for some time - got a message from Miriam and Trish (crossstitcher) on the same day asking why! Wow, were you two talking? If not that is weird! I still have most of my machines - still use my 319W in treadle for everyday sewing and piecing. I had to move 3 more of my treadles out to my sewing machine museum - my house was just getting too cluttered! I am not collecting anymore except for the occasional featherweight or a 301 if I see them - I can't resist those machines - and Pfaff's of course! I wish I could keep all my treadles in the house so I could use them. It makes me sad that they not readily available. Anyway, I will try to visit more often!

Nancy

Nancy, it gets weirder. I was thinking about you and your absence from here just yesterday. Hmmm.
    I am glad you dropped in to say hi.
    ~G~

Blog Entries
    Nancy glad to hear you are okay. I have almost worn the fishy quilt out waiting for you to post again. I did contact Charlie to see if she is okay and she is fine just dealing with family. I am having to slow down on collecting machines to now that I have 50+ machines. I do sew with them thou. The wife put her foot down and said no more we don't have anymore room. Glad to hear from you anyway.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Blog Entries
    Nancy no I haven't talked with Miriam just great minds think alike.lol. Think Glenn was on the same brain wave. Dave and I are glad everyone is doing well. Stopped collecting machines until today and lady gave us 3 machines. Two in cabinets and one yucky portable. Don't know what they are yet have to pick them up.
    Glenn glad you are still using the fishy quilt that was a blast to make with everyone making a square and Nancy did a great job putting it all together.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossstitcher View Post
    Nancy no I haven't talked with Miriam just great minds think alike.lol. Think Glenn was on the same brain wave. Dave and I are glad everyone is doing well. Stopped collecting machines until today and lady gave us 3 machines. Two in cabinets and one yucky portable. Don't know what they are yet have to pick them up.
    Glenn glad you are still using the fishy quilt that was a blast to make with everyone making a square and Nancy did a great job putting it all together.
    And I miss all of Nancy's comments...
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Of course I am still using the fishy quilt it is my favorite quilt and it goes eerywhere with me. You guys are the greatest.
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Just got this one yesterday:

Name:  P1000307 (640x640).jpg
Views: 188
Size:  236.8 KBName:  P1000309 (640x640).jpg
Views: 190
Size:  233.5 KBName:  P1000301 (640x640).jpg
Views: 180
Size:  187.4 KBName:  P1000299 (640x640).jpg
Views: 179
Size:  162.9 KB

Adler 187. Strange machine. Belted, but runs clockwise. Has a clam shell bobbin assembly and a fixed, constant distance between the hook and needle. Takes a strange-sized needle and the bobbins are very strange. Weighs a ton.

Needs rewiring. Included a manual that's written in British English, i.e. "stitchbreadth", "whilst sewing", etc. but printed in Germany. Has foot and knee pedals, neither of which are currently hooked up. Came with attachments covered in a substance that smells as though a former owner was a cat with a urinary tract infection and a bout of incontinence.

The machine is nice but that cabinet is gorgeous.

Cari

what a great looking cabinet! I know this site is about sewing machines, but that cabinet is a WOW.
    😊 wilburness 😊

Try soaking the attachments in white vinegar. It should remove the substance and the odor.

Careful with the vinegar. It might strip the polish. Vinegar gets used as a rust removal agent but IIRC it will attack good metal too if you're not careful. I would be more inclined to use alcohol as long as it was kept away from the machine's finish.

Beautiful machine and cabinet. I do like the cabinet/chair combo units like that and the way they did the chair is just awesome. I think I may have seen that ad. I'm glad it went to a good home. The finish on the machine and cabinet look perfect. The English translation isn't surprising given it's location. It makes sense it would be an Englishman doing the translating. I don't have any good suggestions for the odor.
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    Careful with the vinegar. It might strip the polish. Vinegar gets used as a rust removal agent but IIRC it will attack good metal too if you're not careful.
    This is true. Warning, old man story ahead... in the '80s, silicone sealant created vinegar when it cured (you could smell it - nowadays they all "cure neutral"), and when anyone used it to seal their car windscreen you could guarantee the metal would be rotten due to the rust. Moral is that acid eats through iron, so make sure you wash it off.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family (1886) 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 96k41 (1947) 103K (1950) 2 x 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959) 331K4 (1964) 451K145 (1960)
    Pfaff:360 (1959) Necchi Supernova Julia http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    vinegar would not be my cleaner of choice either - not unless the part was removed from the machine... even then... there are better things to use.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

White vinegar is a great household cleaning agent but it has to be thinned. (It's also a great weed killer.)

I guess I'll just wash the attachments and scrub off the oil varnish with a very fine steel wool. Odors dissipate over time and it's not too bad.

By the way, I've learned that the corpse the cat is leaving on your doorstep isn't a gift, it's a warning.

Denatured alcohol works very well on dried oil. You don't want it anywhere near your japanned machines but it's great for things like attachments and other easily removed metal parts. It also evaporates without leaving any residue.
    Rodney

Denatured alcohol works very well on dried oil. You don't want it anywhere near your japanned machines but it's great for things like attachments and other easily removed metal parts. It also evaporates without leaving any residue.
    Rodney
    This might be a dumb question but what's the difference between denatured and isopropyl alcohol? I use the 90% iso for cleaning fiddly bits.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
    This might be a dumb question but what's the difference between denatured and isopropyl alcohol? I use the 90% iso for cleaning fiddly bits.

Cari
    Here ya go,
    http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00102.htm

Both would work fine I'm sure. I come at it from the woodworking/painting/ finishing side of things so denatured is what I use. Rubbing alcohol you buy at the drug store, denatured alcohol is in the paint section of the hardware store.
    I should look to see which is cheaper.
    Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by crocee View Post
    Thank you!

Cari

Both would work fine I'm sure. I come at it from the woodworking/painting/ finishing side of things so denatured is what I use. Rubbing alcohol you buy at the drug store, denatured alcohol is in the paint section of the hardware store.
    I should look to see which is cheaper.
    Rodney
    Gotcha. I just bought a new bottle a few weeks ago, 97 cents. It'll last a couple years.

Cari
    Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 08-30-2014 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
    By the way, I've learned that the corpse the cat is leaving on your doorstep isn't a gift, it's a warning.
    Kenmore;
    It is also not a gift if your beagle mix rolls in it, eats and then vomits it back up inside your house. True story!! Not a fan of corpse(s) then either.
    I meant to behave......but there were too many other options

Quote Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
    Kenmore;
    It is also not a gift if your beagle mix rolls in it, eats and then vomits it back up inside your house. True story!! Not a fan of corpse(s) then either.
    Ummm this is how a lot of wild/outside dogs feed their pups. Maybe the little guy just wanted to make sure you had been fed

crocee. like the website. NEWTON. thanks

cari-in-oly. you mentioned before that you use alcohol for cleaning. how much do you use and how do you apply it?
    😊 wilburness 😊

Quote Originally Posted by wilburness View Post

cari-in-oly. you mentioned before that you use alcohol for cleaning. how much do you use and how do you apply it?
    I use it mainly just for cleaning metal parts, fiddly bits like feet and metal machine innards. I find it works faster than just plain oil to free up stuck mechanisms. I usually apply it with a Q tip to innards and do that or dip the fiddly bits in it if they're small and really yucky.

Cari