Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-02-2011, 10:26 PM

[quote=vintagemotif][quote=HanNatNana]
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Finally I had a bit of time yesterday to start cleaning my latest acquisitions...yes I will post photos and hope to get the done over the weekend, but I have one question. Two Singers (328P and 478) have an 'F' with a circle around it in texta on the base....does this mean what I think it means? LOL Reason being that repair shops are usually operated by men and they are more prone to use this language, then again maybe I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion and it might mean something else altogether.

These machines aren't complete but they do turn easily by hand and I'm wondering if the motor is burned out...one doesn't have a foot pedal and the other is missing the electrical cable so it's hard to test.

Anyway just thought I'd ask in the hope someone has further info.

Bronwyn ;-)
Bronwyn, The Singer 328P is made in Penrith,; at least I think P stands for that location. If your Singer 328 motor doesn't work, you can put the machine into a treadle. I have my Singer 328K in a treadle and it works! I use mine for decorative stitching to finish off the binding. Here is link to that manual for you to look at: http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer328k/
Thank you!! When I started cleaning the 328 yesterday I was remembering that someone had it in a treadle and couldn't think who it was!! lol

Bronwyn ;-)
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Originally Posted by okiepastor
Kathie S--I am having trouble keeping up here as well----and since I have SERIOUS house cleaning to do as soon as DGD gets here to help, I foresee being about 200 pages behind!

I am debating about which machines to keep--I certainly have an abundance right now--though half of them are at Tomilu's for re-dos....
Realistically, how many do I NEED???? C'mon, someone help me out here---eleven is really over the top, right??? :>)!

Anyone out there have a burning desire for a 306K? she is at Tomilu's right now....or a 66---can't make up my mind who to re-home!!!! And I have cleared out enough extra machines to be embarassing!
If eleven is over the top, then I've already slipped over the edge because I have 25 and am always on the look at for another one I don't 'need' but 'want'. Enjoy them all.
Oh no, if 11 is over the top, I am off the limp, for sure! Without counting I think maybe I have topped 20 with my most recent being my Singer 301A... soon to be my most favoritest machine. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
(Love your new avatar, Linda!!) I've also slipped over the edge! Dang! But my kids are gonna have something to leave their kids from Gramma!! LOL! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Minnesota newbie
Where do you all find the info on old machines? I picked up a singer EF223014 today but need manual.Also a Eldridge rotary 296524 any help would be great.I post when I can find the time.This board is awesome thanks to all,keep up the good reading if I miss a day or 2 20 pages behind! Love it.
Minnesota Newbie, the Singer EF223014 is a 99K allotted July 29, 1949.

Here is the Singer site to date your Singers!
http://www.singerco.com/support/mach.../double-letter

Nancy
Thank you for the site.does any one know the eldridge rotary site?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 AM

I refuse to feel bad but I have to stop this collecting now because I have run out of room and I only have 6 (3 in cabinets) machines. Two are treadles. I have to have them all in my sewing room and I can't squeeze another one in and still be able to sew. There is a garage sale today with an old Singer treadle advertised in a "beautiful, fancy oak cabinet" and the asking price is $50. I KNOW if I go I WILL buy if the machine is usable .... hubby kindly stated last night that it simply won't fit and I woke up several times during the night thinking "well then, I just won't go". Oh me ------ such a problem. I have 2 1/2 hours to dwell on this and I know you all would tell me to go ..............wouldn't you?
Old 06-03-2011, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
That one jarred me to thinking.... I have an old black sewing machine around here somewhere - it was my neighbor's. When she moved to an assisted living I got it. It was an old Sears from early 1940's. It was a wedding present from her DH. She never did learn to use it. I've been saving it for DGD who is named after her. I should dig it out and move it a bit. Maybe sew something. I'm thinking last I knew it needed rewiring. Just sitting around isn't so good for those old machines. Maybe it won't be too hard to re-wire. It has an owners manual and a bunch of empty bobbins.
miriam ---------- must be fraternal twins. Does yours sew as beautifully as mine???
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Congrats on everyone's excellent finds! $10 FW is an awesome find!
Thanks VM.... (and everyone else). Cleaned her up, inside and out, new lub, new oil, everything is moving great. Turns out I'm missing the gib screw in the bobbin race and terminal block recepticle is broken on the bottom. Not too terribly bad, considering. I've emailed Billy for a parts check. If he doesn't have them, ebay does.

VM, I remember seeing your pics of that 328 in the treadle... but I wanted to ask you which/what treadle stand you found it fit in? I'm just now looking for a treadle cabinet that can take a few different machines (to swap out heads). Think a standard Singer treadle parlor cabinet, or 6 drawer flip top cabinet would hold a 328 as well?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I refuse to feel bad but I have to stop this collecting now because I have run out of room and I only have 6 (3 in cabinets) machines. Two are treadles. I have to have them all in my sewing room and I can't squeeze another one in and still be able to sew. There is a garage sale today with an old Singer treadle advertised in a "beautiful, fancy oak cabinet" and the asking price is $50. I KNOW if I go I WILL buy if the machine is usable .... hubby kindly stated last night that it simply won't fit and I woke up several times during the night thinking "well then, I just won't go". Oh me ------ such a problem. I have 2 1/2 hours to dwell on this and I know you all would tell me to go ..............wouldn't you?
Suzie... I'd go. lol. Then I'd figure out which of my machines will fit in which treadle cabinets, and keep the best (most favorite treadle cabinets) and sell the 3rd one. I too have a sew room FULL of stuff, and only room for 3 or 4 cabinets. Fortunately for me, DH agrees that if I get a treadle it HAS to go on the first floor and not in my sew room (on the 2nd floor), 'cause of the weight..... :mrgreen:
Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
I found this machine in a thrift shop today. I don't know what model it is. I didn't get it because I want to kow if the bobbins and the cover plate will be available. Can anyone help me??

Jan in Texas
This is a Singer 327. Here is link to manual: http://sewingonline.co.uk/instructions/singer327k/

This is a straight-stitch/zigzag machine that can be use in a treadle. Uses same metal bobbins as a 66. And cover plates are sold online.
Thank you sooo much !!

Texas Jan
Old 06-03-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Kathie
I'm not telling how many I have, but it is Okiepastor's fault. Half of them are hers, lol.
Tommie
Old 06-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Remember yesterday I told you about the box of goodies I got. Well last night I got to playing around with the different attachments and found out I have an old singer zig zagger. Fits a FW or 101 machine. It even has the attachment to add for sewing on lace.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205954.jpe