Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Sizi, I hear a sewing machine calling Suzi, Suzi, come and get me I am yours. Come take me home. Suzi, please come I want to go home with you. LOl Kathie
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Chris you count is almost the same as mine. I have 16 and am getting one tomorrow. I have one coming at the end of the month. It is a New Janome. Kathie
Kathie; just picked up another one, 15 in a cabinet, today. Gotta start cleaning machines and rehoming them. Too many machines in cabinets. LOL Also got a vintage, perhaps antique?, thread/sewing cabinet with Duncan Phyfe (sp?) feet and places to put thread spools in the top portion inaddition to spool slots. I'll post a picture later.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 AM

Have a new Singer 15 and passed on a handcrank #20 child's machine. Serial # AL 836805. Born in 1954. It's weird b/c Singer badge looks like it's edged in blue for a Centennial edition but the year is wrong. Any ideas?? I'll post a picture later.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 AM

I must be doing something wrong! I only have 1 machine in my sewing room. Of course I have 2 in the living room. And everybody else lives in the dining room. Can you tell I live alone? The dogs and cats don't seem to mind and my son (doesn't live with me) has given up. His theory is, as long as he doesn't have to pick them up when purchased and haul them home, he doesn't care.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM

You guys got me thinking, so I did an inventory. Don't tell DH, please, I have 23 machines. I have taken to hiding them from him, but he is too observant. I brought the 301A home and asked him to clean her up, he noticed right off it wasn't one he had seen before. Guess I better keep the other 3 or 4 he doesn't know about hidden! LOL I am lucky, for this purpose, to be an "empty nester" with a 3 bedroom house. When kids first moved out I made one bedroom into a "craft/sewing" room. I just took over a second bedroom just for the machines! Can't wait to finish getting it all set up so I can enjoy them all. I sew on a couple of them, but need to find time to clean and learn several of them. There are 4 that are gonna take a LOT of work, but the rest are in pretty good shape, all in all. We are ALL enablers on this site, and that IS a good thing! That is my story and I am sticking to it!!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 AM

OMG, what do I do now? While I was in the hospital last week, I made arrangements for a friend to pick up a 301 short bed, which I had found on Craig's List. It was from a town about 1 1/2 hours away. When the friend had a chance to come to town, he delivered the machine to my car. I opened the car, and was surprised to see a solid wooden cabinet. What I viewed on line, and the description of the machine sounded like a portable. (Wooden case was mentioned, not wooden cabinet.) The deep drawers were filled with books, two button hole attachments and lots of templates and cams, a zig zag foot, and the usual assortment of feet from the era. I already have 14 cabinet machines, and about 18 portables, 4 treadles, and two computerized machines. I didn't need another cabinet either, but I'm tickled to have it. Now I need to have the family move it into the house so I can play with it. The seller and the friend said it worked good. There was a repair ticket in the books which indicate a professional cleaning and "tune-up". Less than 4 years ago. Oh well, I guess I still need to look for a portable 301. I also need a good chain stitch machine, so I'll continue to watch the sales, and when able, hit the thrift stores and antique shops. Never know what I'll drag home next.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Oh no, if 11 is over the top, I am off the limp, for sure! Without counting I think maybe I have topped 20 with my most recent being my Singer 301A... soon to be my most favoritest machine. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sewextreme, love the Avator! What a cute little girl!

Nancy
Thank you Nancy, Ruby fell asleep at the window waiting for her Mommy at school. :-D Love those grandbabies!

(Sew Wishful) Randa's quote: "(Love your new avatar, Linda!!) I've also slipped over the edge! Dang! But my kids are gonna have something to leave their kids from Gramma!! LOL! That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!"

Thank you about Ruby...

It is my goal to collect and make a folder of everything I can find out about my machines so that they can be left to my Grandchildren also. Think how old they will be then...

:D
Old 06-03-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Originally Posted by Kathie S.
Machine count currently stands at approximately 15.

Kathie
I'm not telling how many I have, but it is Okiepastor's fault. Half of them are hers, lol.
Tommie
Ohhh, is it ok to blame someone else?

OK, I have seww many because its Deara's fault! She enables me... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and we live clear across the states from each other. Imagine if we lived in the same city? :shock: :shock:
Old 06-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by buslady
You guys got me thinking, so I did an inventory. Don't tell DH, please, I have 23 machines. I have taken to hiding them from him, but he is too observant. I brought the 301A home and asked him to clean her up, he noticed right off it wasn't one he had seen before.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: When I got to the part of "I've taken to hiding them... " I had to call DH. Then, your 301A got us to laughing pretty hard. Thanks! :-D
Old 06-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Now I have to go back and reread page 1125 to learn about the my pages. Lots of great info there, but I'll need to have it up in order to actually use the my pages thing.

To whomever that posted the link to the singer attachment directions, thank you.

I went at looked at my ruffler and my manual and it was exactly the same as the link. While I understand the words written are English, the meaning is Greek. Since I'm working on my first project EVER that involves ruffling or gathering....I'm cheating and having a tailor friend of mine help me with it. I'm hoping I can do it without having to add that big monster to the machine!

Does anyone have an example of an edgestitch foot that would fit a 66? I don't have one with the machine now. Are they available for these older machines or only for the new ones? I think it might be helpful for some of these rolled hems I'm doing. Just a thought. Billy, if you have one, can I combine them with an order for classic 66 bobbins?