Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?
Needlebar has an excellent Singer model 15 comparison chart. http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html
Thanks... so a 15K is not a model #, but indicates one of the 15 series models that was made in Kilbowie, Scotland?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
[I still use that Pfaff almost daily, did three complete weddings including the mother-in-laws dress, bridesmaids, and flower girl with that Pfaff. That is a great machine.

Nancy
Wow! Not one wedding, but three! Were they all for your family members? That would be a fun project. I could see only doing one wedding.

Every so often I see a Pfaff 130 for around $100-150 on CL in the Bay Area. Your area does have great posting of machines, but your friend may want to keep a watch for that machine in the Bay Area and be willing to take the drive (special outing).
Old 12-30-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I think someone put a shuttle in and it is not the right one for this machine.

Does anyone have a resource for shuttle sizes for these old machines?

Nancy

Can you point me toward a picture of the machine? Also, examine your shuttle carefully; make sure the tip isn't blunted and there's no burrs on it. Also, most Davis shuttles I've seen has the name printed on it. Does it just not fit right in the carrier?
Miz Johnny my machine is posted on page 474. I see shuttles on E-bay all the time, but they are sold as number so and so. I wish I knew which number went with my machine, if any of them do that is. Or at least, what the exact length should be for my shuttle. Do you have a machine like mine that you could measure the shuttle and send a picture?

I really want to get this machine working! I will go out to the garage (that is where Betty lives right now) and see if the shuttle has Davis printed on it and measure as soon as it warms up a bit! (We have a detached garage and it is 20 degrees right now!)

The shuttle seems to fit properly, but it is facing the wrong direction for the needle to pick up the thread? I have tried putting it in differently, that will not work. It is in properly, just doesn't seem to face the correct direction for the needle to pick up the thread.

Nancy
I have the same machine; it is piled high at the moment, and my GD is taking a nap in that room, but I'll get back to you!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I had fun poking around a flea market today, searching for old machines... I have really been wanting to get a 15-91 for FMQ. I found a Singer with the serial # Y8821760, a treadle. When I looked it up online it said it was a 15K. Another one I found was a 15-90... So, how much difference is there between a 15-90 and a 15-91, and also a 15K?
Needlebar has an excellent Singer model 15 comparison chart. http://www.needlebar.org/main~nb/15chart/index.html
Thanks... so a 15K is not a model #, but indicates one of the 15 series models that was made in Kilbowie, Scotland?
That's right--the K just indicates it's factory. Some machines were marked 15- or simply 15. That does not mean they're a 15-1, as that is the old IF machine with the finger-pinching bobbin case!!
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 AM

I think someone put a shuttle in and it is not the right one for this machine.

Does anyone have a resource for shuttle sizes for these old machines?

Nancy

Can you point me toward a picture of the machine? Also, examine your shuttle carefully; make sure the tip isn't blunted and there's no burrs on it. Also, most Davis shuttles I've seen has the name printed on it. Does it just not fit right in the carrier?
Miz Johnny my machine is posted on page 474. I see shuttles on E-bay all the time, but they are sold as number so and so. I wish I knew which number went with my machine, if any of them do that is. Or at least, what the exact length should be for my shuttle. Do you have a machine like mine that you could measure the shuttle and send a picture?

I really want to get this machine working! I will go out to the garage (that is where Betty lives right now) and see if the shuttle has Davis printed on it and measure as soon as it warms up a bit! (We have a detached garage and it is 20 degrees right now!)

The shuttle seems to fit properly, but it is facing the wrong direction for the needle to pick up the thread? I have tried putting it in differently, that will not work. It is in properly, just doesn't seem to face the correct direction for the needle to pick up the thread.

Nancy
I have the same machine; it is piled high at the moment, and my GD is taking a nap in that room, but I'll get back to you!
Miz Johnny, If I lived close to you, I would love to spend a day helping you clean your basement. It would be so educational to just see all of those machines and listen to how you acquired them all. I love reading your posts that states "oh I got one of them, but I just need to get to it...". I picture this basement covered with machines and some machines piled on top of cabinets that are holding machines.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Wow! Not one wedding, but three! Were they all for your family members? That would be a fun project. I could see only doing one wedding.

Every so often I see a Pfaff 130 for around $100-150 on CL in the Bay Area. Your area does have great posting of machines, but your friend may want to keep a watch for that machine in the Bay Area and be willing to take the drive (special outing).
NO NO NO NO NO, I would not want to do another wedding! I think, I forgot how to do dresses -- I'd rather make quilts!
Yes, they were for daughters and daughter's in law's.

The gal that wanted the Pfaff 1222/1222e found one and had to get it shipped! But, I know if anyone could find a specific machine for us, it would be you Vintage Motif!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM

Miz Johnny, If I lived close to you, I would love to spend a day helping you clean your basement. It would be so educational to just see all of those machines and listen to how you acquired them all. I love reading your posts that states "oh I got one of them, but I just need to get to it...". I picture this basement covered with machines and some machines piled on top of cabinets that are holding machines.
I too would love to come and visit you Miz Johnny, can we all come and help and pick your brain!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM

I picture this basement covered with machines and some machines piled on top of cabinets that are holding machines.
You should see my GF's set up. She has TWO houses (side by side); one known as The Main House, the other called The Play House. In The Play House basement, the treadles are stacked on top of each other, with portables shoved in here and there. It defies description!!
I've seen a lot of creative ways of housing machines. Carter Bays' collection is in his house. In addition to having a rooms full, he also has treadles hanging on the walls in some parts of the house. I've known people to add on rooms and build large outbuildings to store them.

In my next life, I'm collecting thimbles.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Yea! I knew you had the same machine!~ I went out to play with Betty again. She moves freely, wants to sew -- won't pick up the shuttle thread. I am convinced I have the wrong size/shape/kind of shuttle! There were two shuttles with the machine when I got her, both measure 2 1/16 inches and don't say "Davis" anywhere on them.

I guess, I will have to bite the bullet and purchase a Davis shuttle -- I saw one on e-bay for 29 or 39 can't remember right now -- I thought it was awefully expensive for a shuttle. Anyway, before I take the plunge and spend more on a shuttle than I did for the machine, I'd like to know exactly what size I need!

Miz Johnny, I will be waiting for your measurements! I hope your granddaughter has a very nice nap too!

Nancy
Old 12-30-2010, 12:07 PM

Ok I found a shuttle and bobbin on the internet. Here is the web site http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals....922586307.html - they have one for $45! Geeze, I only paid $25 for this machine! Anyway, I sent them an e-mail to find out if their shuttle actually says "davis" on it.

Going by the size of their shuttle, mine is the same size? I wonder if there is something different about the actual Davis shuttle? The picture looks exactly like the two I have and measure the same?

Nancy