Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Nancy, guess who is working on the foot pedal ...DH showed me a wire not attached to anything. He is working on it now..............He just came in and told me to try it out, guess what, it still races. This machine is now up for grabs for anyone who wants it !Anyone local who might be interested please PM me. Thanks all
Take the motor off and put on a hand crank. You'll love it for piecing.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Nancy, guess who is working on the foot pedal ...DH showed me a wire not attached to anything. He is working on it now..............He just came in and told me to try it out, guess what, it still races. This machine is now up for grabs for anyone who wants it !Anyone local who might be interested please PM me. Thanks all
If I was to do that, where does one find a hand crank ?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
There are several places. I'm not sure if Ed carries them, but if not I buy mine from Stitches in Time. If he doesn't chime in, I'll give you Cindy's address. They're reasonable, and if you REALLY don't want to buy more than one, you can switch it between machines.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
So today my stepson enlisted our help in getting his sister to give him the sewing machine she had gotten from their grandmother & never uses. She wants to sell it, he wants it for sentimental reasons & because he does sew. I asked what kind it was & when she replied "Singer Featherweight" I about died. Told her NO she can't sell it & YES she should give to her brother!! He said he was so glad he said something to us! So, I think the end of the story will be that he will have saved another Featherweight & will keep it in the family. Yay!
Keep that Featherweight! It would be awesome to hear that he is sewing with it.
I really hope she is going to give it to her brother. My husband said he is going to talk to her & encourage her to do the right thing.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 AM

Miz Johnny...If I do it one would be sufficient. It's the only machine (I think ) I would need it for.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM

If I was to do that, where does one find a hand crank ?[/quote]

Billy, who heads this shop, sells hand cranks. I got one from him for my 15-88; and he is more reasonable than e-bay.

Nancy
Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy, who heads this shop, sells hand cranks. I got one from him for my 15-88; and he is more reasonable than e-bay.

Nancy[/quote]

Thanks, I'll PM Billy.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Funny how the bobbin plate covers go missing. makes you wonder what hapened to them? Girls saw and just pointed out that the "new" one was missing the same piece as the other two.
I saw a You Tube video about the mystery of the missing bobbin plates and the woman said it was because the bobbin plate is difficult to put back in if you don't know how it fits in, so a lot of them got left off. I'll to look up the video and post it here.

Here it is. It shows how to put it back in and explains why so many are missing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8a_...eature=channel It is at approx 5:05 minutes into the video but the rest of it is worth watching for learning how to thread your 66, put the bobbin in and how to treadle....plus the woman is pretty entertaining.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Funny how the bobbin plate covers go missing. makes you wonder what hapened to them? Girls saw and just pointed out that the "new" one was missing the same piece as the other two.
I saw a You Tube video about the mystery of the missing bobbin plates and the woman said it was because the bobbin plate is difficult to put back in if you don't know how it fits in, so a lot of them got left off. I'll to look up the video and post it here.

Here it is. It shows how to put it back in and explains why so many are missing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8a_...eature=channel It is at approx 5:05 minutes into the video but the rest of it is worth watching for learning how to thread your 66, put the bobbin in and how to treadle....plus the woman is pretty entertaining.
Cathy;
Thanks. Got almost the same answer from Needlebar about not knowing how to put it back on. Also the spring(s) might be missing which would contribute to its loss. Watched the video.
Very informative and entertaining plus she had some other videos that looked pretty good. Thanks again.
Chris
Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Cathy;
Thanks. Got almost the same answer from Needlebar about not knowing how to put it back on. Also the spring(s) might be missing which would contribute to its loss. Watched the video.
Very informative and entertaining plus she had some other videos that looked pretty good. Thanks again.
Chris
Yep, Donna is entertaining. She once set her treadles up as a "Treadle-Go-Round", with ribbons attached to the ceiling. Have you figured out yet that most collectors are a bit--well, eccentric?? That's what I hear from my family, anyway. LOL!

I just sold my parlor treadle like this one. I have had about 4 (I think) Singer parlor treadles, but haven't bought the RIGHT one yet. I'll know it when I get it home!!