Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-20-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I would like to get input from all you vintage machine connoisseurs out there.

. . . .

I am having a really hard time making a decision. I already have a treadle and I still have not sewn on her so that eliminates that choice for me. My original intent was to be able to sew on the Red Eye. If that is the case, do I put a brand new motor in that would probably last longer or do I stay with the more vintage motor? Handcrank is an interesting option just because of the collector value, but I don’t see myself sewing very much on the machine if it’s a handcrank. Do I want to showcase this machine or am I really going use her to sew? I guess that is the decisive question and the one that has me stumped.

So, what do you think I should do?
I vote for the hand crank because it looks like the case is big enough to hold one without taking it on and off. The case has the storage compartment with lid--very cool. If you decide later to put a motor and pedal on it it's no big deal--I get rid of most of mine, and many have wiring that's still usable. (I don't happen to have any right now, as I gave away two big boxes last summer.) If you opt to just leave it as it is and put NOTHING on it, that's OK too, because not only can you drop it in a treadle, you can put a HC on in a matter of 2 or 3 minutes, and attach motor and footpedal nearly as quickly.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM

I vote for the hand crank if it will fit in the case with no alteration. What an opportunity for something different!
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

The Handcrank will fit in the case I just looked and checked it with one here. (I still have the machine!!)

Billy
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by seahug
Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Here is a pic of that domestic maachine and the needle sets to the left it will do a zz stitch. I am not sure what the ab settings ate on the top of machine and don't know a whole lot about it.

Judy
I'm not familiar with this machine but could the ab setting actually control the needle position? Was there a dot in between the a and b indicating rhe middle of something?
Cindy

there is a silver button that opens a door on the top of machine I don;t know just what its for either
there is no dot just arrows pointing to either a or b
Might have been a reflection I thought I was seeing. Good luck on your search for info!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The Handcrank will fit in the case I just looked and checked it with one here. (I still have the machine!!)

Billy
I thought it might, and that makes it that much better!!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:54 PM

[quote=Lostn51It very well could, a lot of the Japanese machines mimicked the American machines at the time. Just the fact that it is made in occupied Japan makes it very collectible!

Billy[/quote]

Billy; Thanks. You are a veritable fount of information. Now I need to find a manual for the 66 so I can propperly thread it and wind the bobbin. :) Thanks again.
Chris
Old 12-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

[quote=chris_quilts]
Originally Posted by Lostn51It very well could, a lot of the Japanese machines mimicked the American machines at the time. Just the fact that it is made in occupied Japan makes it very collectible!

Billy[/quote

Billy; Thanks. You are a veritable fount of information. Now I need to find a manual for the 66 so I can propperly thread it and wind the bobbin. :) Thanks again.
Chris
Go here and you will find one for free and it should be helpful for you in many ways with your machine.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Billy
Old 12-20-2010, 08:27 PM

[quote=Lostn51]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Lostn51It very well could, a lot of the Japanese machines mimicked the American machines at the time. Just the fact that it is made in occupied Japan makes it very collectible!

Billy[/quote

Chris
Many thanks again, Billy. Hope you have a terrific Christmas with your family.

Chris

Go here and you will find one for free and it should be helpful for you in many ways with your machine.

http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Billy
Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Billy,

The 66 manual is not quite precisely what I needed but did have some valuable info. I also have another manual that I downloaded from another vintage site, Yahoo, that has been helpful. I may not find a true manual but have found some needed info in each manual I do have. Thanks for your info and help. Merry Christmas!!!

Chris
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

I have a FW 222, and I got a reproduction manual for it, but I would really like to know if anyone has a GOOD diagram for where to oil it. The one in the manual is far from clear, and I would like a much better, bigger one if there is such a thing.