Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I have a National Two Spools also. I purchased mine in October for $30 without cabinet. The cabinet was shot; so, I only purchased the machine head. It had part of a motor mount, but no motor and no attachments, just the wooden spool and spool can. A month later, I saw one sold on ebay for around $650 (just the machine head). Now I wished I had printed out the final sale on the one that had sold on ebay. This bit of information may be of help to you for your appraisal. Do you sew with yours? I put mine in a Singer straight-leg treadle that my DH modified. I use it just for piecing.
Thanks for the info. I have not sewed with mine. My hope is to be able to use it later this year when I get some of the "stuff" out of the sewing room. The shop where I bought it said someone had test driven it. I have found the manual on Needlebar.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM

Wahoo! I spoke with my Mom yesterday and asked her what ever became of grandma's hand crank machine. She has it! Safely stashed upstairs. So, I told her I want to inherit it!!!
(put my name on tape underneath Mom - it's a family joke)
So anyway, I got the serial number from her, she figured it would be around 1920 because grandma got it from her parents as an 18th birthday present. (BTW, grandma is still with us at age 100)
The serial number places it as a Singer 128K handcrank made in 1922. The wooden bow case is in good shape. The machine is in clean condition but needs some adjustment to sew better.
I've had a happy couple of days!!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Wahoo! I spoke with my Mom yesterday and asked her what ever became of grandma's hand crank machine. She has it! Safely stashed upstairs. So, I told her I want to inherit it!!!
So anyway, I got the serial number from her, she figured it would be around 1920 because grandma got it from her parents as an 18th birthday present. (BTW, grandma is still with us at age 100)
The serial number places it as a Singer 128K handcrank made in 1922. The wooden bow case is in good shape. The machine is in clean condition but needs some adjustment to sew better.
That is so cool! I love reading stories like this. Enjoy your machine!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boopers
Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
Does anyone have a Singer 128?
Do you like it?
Is it as "small" as it appears in pictures? (I know it's not light!)
Does it use a shuttle?
I have a 128. They not a full sized machine. They are 3/4 sized and weigh as much as a full sized. I had my 128 converted to a hand-crank. See my avatar. It has a bullet shaped suttle.
OMG!!! I was just at a thrift shop and saw one of these for $35!!!! I didn't get it, cuz I'm looking to purchase the Davis on SAturday! OMG! Wish I had it now! It was a beauty, but the top part of the "cover" had delaminated. The cords all looked fine...no fraying or anything.
There was a Kenmore and 2 Whites (1950's and 1960's) there also! 2 in cabinets and one a portable. Dang!
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by tjradj
That is so cool! I love reading stories like this. Enjoy your machine!
Being your dear Grandma's makes it even sweeter.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Here are some pictures Nancy wanted me to post in hopes of getting her Davis VF working. Hope this will help :?
Ok Trish, I got all the pictures and they will be so helpful. Thank you very much. I can't see that your shuttle says "Davis?" Did I miss the Davis on the shuttle? I have a shuttle that looks identical, I will measure it tomorrow. I am pretty sure when I did measure my shuttle, it measured about 2 1/8 like yours.

Tomorrow I am going to bring the Davis in from the garage so I can work on it a little more seriously. All those pictures will help tremendously!

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

I happened across this very interesting site...lots of great pictures and stories about old machines
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht..._machines.html
I have never heard about this couple and they only live about an hour away from me!! Who would have thought I would learn of a WV vintage machine collection practically in my backyard from someone in Texas? Sounds like a roadtrip to me with my friend I took to PA. to pick up my W&W9 treadle. She's not hooked yet, but definitely interested in these oldies too.

Course, this would be second on the list because I want to go play with the girls when we all meet at Miz Johnny's place for her cleaning, rearranging, story telling event she wants to hold for us. This is the one where Susan Margaret from Columbus will join in too - we'll be Miz Johnny's slave labor for the day if she just lets us get a pinky toe in her basement!! :lol:
Cindy
Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

[quote=tjradj]Wahoo! I spoke with my Mom yesterday and asked her what ever became of grandma's hand crank machine. She has it! Safely stashed upstairs. So, I told her I want to inherit it!!!
[quote]

Wow, that is so cool to have your Grandmother's machine!

Nancy
Old 01-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I just need to know what needles to look for?
Nancy

Is it gold in color? I had one a few years back, but got rid of it as the needles are nearly impossible to find.
No Miz Johnny, it is black, but the needles are short. There is a guide on the machine itself as to the length of the needle.

Do you know what size I need to start looking for, or what they are called? How to start a search for the correct needle?

Nancy
Old 01-06-2011, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
I happened across this very interesting site...lots of great pictures and stories about old machines
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht..._machines.html
I have never heard about this couple and they only live about an hour away from me!! Who would have thought I would learn of a WV vintage machine collection practically in my backyard from someone in Texas? Sounds like a roadtrip to me with my friend I took to PA. to pick up my W&W9 treadle. She's not hooked yet, but definitely interested in these oldies too.

Course, this would be second on the list because I want to go play with the girls when we all meet at Miz Johnny's place for her cleaning, rearranging, story telling event she wants to hold for us. This is the one where Susan Margaret from Columbus will join in too - we'll be Miz Johnny's slave labor for the day if she just lets us get a pinky toe in her basement!! :lol:
Cindy
I would agree that would be a super place to visit, but am also with you that Miz Johnny's would have to be #1 on the list! Oh, what a wonderful day that will be for you! Sure wish I was closer! Would love a detailed story after your visit! ( Sure wish my retirement could happen soon enough to be able to enjoy trips like this!)