Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-05-2011, 05:11 PM

oops my computer stutters.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Billy, here is a picture of the Wizard Sewing Machine I inquired about. It has Brother on the front bottom of the machine but the motor is Hamilton Beach 732. It also has made in Japan. I have never seen or heard of this machine before but I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the cabinet and saw this. The model number is JA19.NA.38419. The writing on top is Precision Sewing Machine. The nut that hold the tension together was off so I have the tension parts in a bag, not sure what order they go back on.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154140.jpe  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Question: Has anyone talked to an insurance person about the antiquity/antiqueness of their sewing machines? I did today and was told that their value depends upon their collectibility and desirability. Now I have a couple that are rarer, also a requirement, perhaps than others but am unsure of how to proceed from here. I have one that is stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" and I have a National Two-Spool treadle which is complete and has a box of accessories/feet. He was unconvinced by my logic about their rarity. I don't know what to do about the insurance on the machines. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Thanks. :)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM

Guess you could get them appraised that may be enough. They will not go by your word maybe your receipt but that is about it
Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
Guess you could get them appraised that may be enough. They will not go by your word maybe your receipt but that is about it
Hadn't thought about an appraisal. Good idea. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
I found a Domestic electric portable with nice case and pristine pansy decals. The decals are in more than excellent shape. The only number I could find on the machine was 2X5748 and a patent date of 1920 on the shuttle plate. They wanted $30 for it but I did not try out the motor. I figured it could always be converted to a hand crank or treadle. What do you think, is it worth the $30? It sure was pretty, had a manual, shuttle, bobbins and extra feet. I'd also like to know a little more about the machine but could not find anything on the web.

Thanks!
I am behind on posts, so forgive me if this has already been said, but the reproduction handcranks work only on Singer and some class 15 machines (usually Japanese). Original handcranks for other brand machines are very hard to come by.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

All he did was time the machine after my DH messed it up and adjusted the feed dogs. He didn't dink with the bobbin case at all. I should have asked him more questions but they were so busy. He did mention the only difference in needles was the length from the eye but he lost me on that one.
That's the trick--it has been retimed to use 15 x 1 needles. As long as it sews well for you, that's all that matters!!
Old 01-05-2011, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy or anyone for that matter, I have a New Home Model NHR Light Running machine made - we determined sometime between 1939 and 1941. I just realized that it takes a short needle -- shorter than the standard 15x1. Does anyone know what the needle is numbered with Boye? Or what needles to get? Oh, the machine is on page 482, and I found out the greyhound pictured on the bed of the machine is the New Home symbol for the Light Running Machine.

I just need to know what needles to look for?
Nancy
Is it gold in color? I had one a few years back, but got rid of it as the needles are nearly impossible to find.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly
I happened across this very interesting site...lots of great pictures and stories about old machines
http://possumjimandelizabeth.com/xht..._machines.html
I like their site a lot! Fun looking through all their machines and travels too!.
I have that site bookmarked. I have used that site along with these to help me identify machines and Singer cabinets.
http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine.com/
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...nets.html#1591
Old 01-05-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Question: I have one that is stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" and I have a National Two-Spool treadle which is complete and has a box of accessories/feet. He was unconvinced by my logic about their rarity. I don't know what to do about the insurance on the machines. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas about this? Thanks. :)
I have a National Two Spools also. I purchased mine in October for $30 without cabinet. The cabinet was shot; so, I only purchased the machine head. It had part of a motor mount, but no motor and no attachments, just the wooden spool and spool can. A month later, I saw one sold on ebay for around $650 (just the machine head). Now I wished I had printed out the final sale on the one that had sold on ebay. This bit of information may be of help to you for your appraisal. Do you sew with yours? I put mine in a Singer straight-leg treadle that my DH modified. I use it just for piecing.