Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
My vote would be for a handcrank, mostly because you can sew anywhere with it(I can sit in the evening and watch a movie while sewing and not disturb the other viewers... It's quiet). You already have a treadle and a motorized vintage machine so a handcrank will compliment your collection. My final reason is I am partial to handcranks.
Handcrank ... because of ALL of oldhag's reasons!
Old 12-20-2010, 07:51 AM

I have a treadle but haven't been able to sew with it yet. But, if you want to use your machine everyday I would go with the new motor. If sometime in the future you would want to change to a treadle or hand crank you could. For now you would have the new motor and new wireing to get started. If you would want to change to a hand crank it would just be a one screw operation where the motor is attached. I know there are several people on here that prefer making it a treadle so this is just my opinion.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Howard
Redpurselady...I vote for the handcrank. Seems you do not have one of these and could add to your collection. Also the value. Aside from voting, I would like to request a picture of your Singer 127 1905 treadle. I have a 1904 model and would like to compare. Mine has had some alterations. Thanks, Loraine aka "Howard"
Hi Loraine, I have attached pictures of my treadle before Billy's spa treatment. She is looking mighty purty and shiny now.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145749.jpe   attachment-145750.jpe  
Old 12-20-2010, 08:14 AM

My vote would be for the handcrank, as well. I have one and even though I don't use it much, it is still a lovely machine.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by Howard
Redpurselady...I vote for the handcrank. Seems you do not have one of these and could add to your collection. Also the value. Aside from voting, I would like to request a picture of your Singer 127 1905 treadle. I have a 1904 model and would like to compare. Mine has had some alterations. Thanks, Loraine aka "Howard"
Hi Loraine, I have attached pictures of my treadle before Billy's spa treatment. She is looking mighty purty and shiny now.
Go to ".
She really cleaned up nice. Beautiful old lady. Some of us get better with age. LOL. Thanks for the pic. Miy machine has the bobbin winder moved up. Seems some of the older ones had this done.
There is still a port lower down where they were put originally. There is a pic of my 27 but I will have to look back to see what page. Will get back to you as soon as I find it. Could also be under pictures. I listed it as my old singer I think.
Go to Search and type in "Howard's Old Black Singer" That should be it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Banned

I already voted and I went with the handcrank just for the cool factor, but mine really doesnt count since I am working on it.

I dont think......... :roll: :D :lol:

Billy
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Redpurselady,

Seeing that you already have your favorites that you use, I vote for the handcrank. Plus, a handcrank will compliment your collection.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 AM
EC

Handcrank!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Redpurselady,

Seeing that you already have your favorites that you use, I vote for the handcrank. Plus, a handcrank will compliment your collection.
I agree with Vintagmotif, I vote for the handcrank since you love looking at this machine -- you don't want to mess her up by putting a motor on her and using her too much! You already have the machines you like to use that are motorized and you already have a treadle you don't use. Put the handcrank and make her something very pristine -- she deserves it!

Nancy
Old 12-20-2010, 12:24 PM

I second the hand crank. I have one and am glad that I do. Kathie