Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
I think the cloth around the machine was used as a pin cushion.
Must be cuz it's filled with pins....sorta handy, I'd say...May leave it!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by misseva
I think the cloth around the machine was used as a pin cushion.
Must be cuz it's filled with pins....sorta handy, I'd say...May leave it!
If you remove it, you will probably find the finish quite marred from the pins.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 AM

. . . And actually, this has been sitting in plain site and he really never even saw it!!! It will blend in with the others, so I'm not worried. :lol:
I have a beautiful New Home parlor that's been in my living room for over a year now, and my husband STILL hasn't noticed it!! He's even helped me move it a couple of times (furniture rearranging is a Way of Life around here) and STILL doesn't notice it!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:27 AM

I am trying to take apart a 99K and I need a little help on getting the thread guide off without anymore bloodshed-only took 1 bandaid on the finger. It turns around after using WD-40, I can get it to open and close (if that makes sense) but not slide down the thing-a-ma-bob. Haven't cursed yet!!! lol
Old 01-17-2011, 08:34 AM

Here is the newest acquisition.... So, it's a snow day here, can't even get out of the drive to go to work, so my day will be spent on here or at a sewing machine! (DH took the 4-wheel drive and went to work so I can play with this one!!!)
I love all the class 15 machines.

Enjoy your snow day. I had to see where "Maynard" is--I used to work in a little town that will come to me later (memory loss from inhaling sewing machine oil?), near Vinton. I worked at a little theater there. Also had friends in Wellsburg. I've been gone for 30+ years, but Iowa is still home. And the best sewing machine hunting ground I've ever found!!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Can the power cords be replaced on these old machines? This 91 had the cord all scrunched onto the bed of the machine and when I unwound it and untangled the foot pedal cord I would hear "crackling", "Krinkleing" or some such sound, so I looked really closely and even though I did plug it in, I was scared. The machine works, sewed, but it is soo dry!. Oiled her up well.
Can someone please tell me what the little hole in the back of the machine under the pretty silver plates are for? Are they supposed to open for oiling or does grease go in there? If it's a grease place, what do you use?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:38 AM

My SIL bought me a 201, and it had the same thing, a rag wrapped around the head full of pins. When I removed it, the paint was gone from being scratched by all the pins. Must have been the thing to do back then? Love the 201, even my DH thought it was a nice machine. Sews quietly and strongly. I used it to bind SIL and DD's quilt I made them. Just bought a 99 Crinkle on EBay, can't wait to see that one. All my kids tell me I have a problem. I told them I didn't. And the saga continues.....
Old 01-17-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Randa, would you please tell me what page your Davis is on in this shop? I want to look at your machine and compare it to my Davis VF and I can't find the picture.

Nancy
Hi, Nancy...pics of the Davis are on 533. Let me know if we have twins! :-D
Here is the newest acquisition....Seems to be a 15-91 from 1946. Told you she was pretty dirty,
She's a beauty!! Will you post some 'before' and 'after' pictures? Even with all of the dirt you can still see how pretty she is.

I have to laugh at everyone trying to sneak in their new machines so their husbands won't see them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm not married but my 33 yr old daughter is starting to give me some grief about all the sewing machines that I've been collecting. She doesn't even live here so why should it bother her? Can I help it if my collection takes up more space than her HUGE collection of Barry Manilow, Josh Groban and New Kids on the Block paraphernalia. Years ago, when I was married, I found out that I could buy anything that I wanted during hunting season because my husband spent so much money on himself at that time of year.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 AM

Decided to jump in here. Old Singer treadle machine sitting in my home for many years and just opened it up to dust inside and saw how pretty it is. In the process of looking for a belt found out that it was made in 1910. Ordered the belt and some new needles and will see if it still works as soon as they come. Attaching a picture. Could not find a model number anywhere. It was one of 25000 allotted Nov 10 1910 and made in Eliabethport factory in Elizabeth NJ.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162355.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
You girls are starting to remind of a late Aunt of mine, who would hide a new dress under an old dress when purchased to keep it unknowing to her DH. If you purchased the little lady with your money, 'why hide it?'
Cherrybsixty, it is always good to hear from you! Actually, my Hubby is as bad as I am in bringing home those old machines. He brought my Light Running New Home and a White 1950 machine in a cabinet home without me knowing about them. He loves to go garage sale shopping, thrift store shopping, antique store shopping for the old machines -- it gives him a kick to find one before I spot it.

Yes, it is my money, but we don't differentiate that way. It is just that I am not sure he would be really thrilled about me getting my 3rd FW since they are so pricey and the white ones around here are even more pricey than the black ones. Besides, I am dealing on a Free Treadle (made by Free, not free to get it) so I want to get that treadle before I tell him about the white FW. As soon as I get the Free treadle nicely tucked away in this house I will show him the white FW. A white FW is one machine he will notice -- it doesn't blend in!

Nancy