Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Randa

Here is the newest acquisition....Seems to be a 15-91 from 1946. Told you she was pretty dirty, but cleaner than the other one that wouldn't even stay in it's delapitated case. (The one I left behind.) So, it's a snow day here, can't even get out of the drive to go to work, so my day will be spent on here or at a sewing machine! (DH took the 4-wheel drive and went to work so I can play with this one!!!)
Congratulations Randa. Yes, that is a 15-91! You will love her when you start using her! They are great machines!

I'd take that cloth around the neck off. I bet she is scratched from those pins -- that is too bad.

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I have a beautiful New Home parlor that's been in my living room for over a year now, and my husband STILL hasn't noticed it!! He's even helped me move it a couple of times (furniture rearranging is a Way of Life around here) and STILL doesn't notice it!!
Miz Johnny, you have so many machines, I bet your DH doesn't know half what you have!

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mommafank
Decided to jump in here. Old Singer treadle machine sitting in my home for many years and just opened it up to dust inside and saw how pretty it is. In the process of looking for a belt found out that it was made in 1910. Ordered the belt and some new needles and will see if it still works as soon as they come. Attaching a picture. Could not find a model number anywhere. It was one of 25000 allotted Nov 10 1910 and made in Eliabethport factory in Elizabeth NJ.
That is Model 127 with the Sphinx decals. Very pretty. I have one just like it and I love that treadle. I use it to shorten my jeans -- sews through those flat felt seams like butter! It takes regular 15 x 1 needles you can get anywhere - but I use Schmetz.

Nancy
Old 01-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Yes, it is my money, but we don't differentiate that way. It is just that I am not sure he would be really thrilled about me getting my 3rd FW since they are so pricey and the white ones around here are even more pricey than the black ones. Besides, I am dealing on a Free Treadle (made by Free, not free to get it) so I want to get that treadle before I tell him about the white FW. As soon as I get the Free treadle nicely tucked away in this house I will show him the white FW. A white FW is one machine he will notice -- it doesn't blend in!

Nancy
Nancy, Your next place of hiding the machine will be with your horses.
Congrats on your white FW and the Free machine.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:54 AM

Decided to jump in here. Old Singer treadle machine sitting in my home for many years and just opened it up to dust inside and saw how pretty it is. In the process of looking for a belt found out that it was made in 1910. Ordered the belt and some new needles and will see if it still works as soon as they come. Attaching a picture. Could not find a model number anywhere. It was one of 25000 allotted Nov 10 1910 and made in Eliabethport factory in Elizabeth NJ.
That is Model 127 with the Sphinx decals. Very pretty. I have one just like it and I love that treadle. I use it to shorten my jeans -- sews through those flat felt seams like butter! It takes regular 15 x 1 needles you can get anywhere - but I use Schmetz.

Nancy
Thank you for reply. I love the picture. If that is where you reside-----well it is beautiful! I probably would never have taken an interest in the machine if I had not joined this board and saw hoe valued these machines are. Now I am interested in obtaining the other one owned by my mother.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I am so glad that you got her!! I will post more as I see them. She deserved for you to get her, she will be treasured, loved and most of all USED. Name her Penni! LOL
Yes, she will be used, treasured, and loved. And from this day forward, she will be known as Penni! Thank you again for sharing this information this morning. :)
AAAWWW!!! I was just kidding, I hate my name! LOL
I like your name! Very strong and a pretty name.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM

Yes, she will be used, treasured, and loved. And from this day forward, she will be known as Penni! Thank you again for sharing this information this morning. :)
AAAWWW!!! I was just kidding, I hate my name! LOL
I vote for Penni! If I knew what your name was Vintagemotif, I would name my 1953 FW after you since you found that one for me! My Davis VF you found for me, I'd still call Betty. That suits her!

Nancy[/quote]

Heehee, Now you are going to get me to reveal my name, but I guess my pseudo avatar name just will not do. So, you get to name the FW -Monica. One day we will all have to meet for coffee or tea somewhere around where Penni lives, or some half way point. Too bad we can't drag all of our vintage machines with us to show them off. But you can bring your white FW. I would like to see that, along with a quilt or two.
-Vintagemotif
Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

Be sure to oil her up before you begin sewing...if she's been sitting around your house unused for years and how long before that?? She's probably thirsty by now!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM

Randa, Congrats on your 15-91. You should take that cloth off and replace it with a fabric that has a quilting or sewing machine pattern to it. Find some pretty beads that will fit on a safety pin and use that decorative safety pin to hold the new fabric in place.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Randa

Here is the newest acquisition....Seems to be a 15-91 from 1946. Told you she was pretty dirty, but cleaner than the other one that wouldn't even stay in it's delapitated case. (The one I left behind.) So, it's a snow day here, can't even get out of the drive to go to work, so my day will be spent on here or at a sewing machine! (DH took the 4-wheel drive and went to work so I can play with this one!!!)
Congratulations Randa. Yes, that is a 15-91! You will love her when you start using her! They are great machines!

I'd take that cloth around the neck off. I bet she is scratched from those pins -- that is too bad.

Nancy
Yup there were a few scratches...nothing really deep, but easy to see. There was every kind of pin you can imagine, too. LOL! But the cord is bad...I used it to be sure the machine runs, but I wouldn't want to do any sewing with it until it's replaced. Is this something I can just redo myself...heavy electrical cord and just rewire myself? There are a couple screws in the part that goes into the machine, so I think it should be fairly easy to do.