Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

Nancy[/quote]

I believe I would have as well. I would be looking for a NFV, BUT my mother gave me the one I have, so I'll never part with it.[/quote]

What is a NFV?
Old 01-17-2011, 12:30 PM

My 301a just arrived. So far nothing about her says 'keep me here', but that may change when she warms enough so I can sew something. She was waiting on the porch when I arrived home and it in the teens, so it'll be a while. I had really hoped the harp space would be larger.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My 301a just arrived. So far nothing about her says 'keep me here', but that may change when she warms enough so I can sew something. She was waiting on the porch when I arrived home and it in the teens, so it'll be a while. I had really hoped the harp space would be larger.
The harp is still larger than the majority of today's modern machines. I like my 301, its black,I've had all the colors They sew fast too!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy
I believe I would have as well. I would be looking for a NFV, BUT my mother gave me the one I have, so I'll never part with it.[/quote]

What is a NFV?[/quote]

The letters got switched; it is a Davis New Vertical Feed (NVF).
Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by Grandmother23
I am trying to take apart a 99K and I need a little help on getting the thread guide off without anymore bloodshed-only took 1 bandaid on the finger. It turns around after using WD-40, I can get it to open and close (if that makes sense) but not slide down the thing-a-ma-bob. Haven't cursed yet!!! lol
Don't know if you mean the thread tension or guide. Please post picture. And I'm sure Billy could help you with this. Talking about Billy, where is our leader of the band?
I hope he's in the shop giving the spa treatment to my machine.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Originally Posted by misseva
I think the cloth around the machine was used as a pin cushion.
I really wish they wouldn't do things like that! The poor machines have a bad case of pin rash under that piece of cloth. :(
I too wish they wouldn't do that. All that can be done is clean that area up and cover it with a pretty new fabric- at least that is what I would do.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:11 PM

I am trying to take apart a 99K and I need a little help on getting the thread guide off without anymore bloodshed-only took 1 bandaid on the finger. It turns around after using WD-40, I can get it to open and close (if that makes sense) but not slide down the thing-a-ma-bob. Haven't cursed yet!!! lol
Don't know if you mean the thread tension or guide. Please post picture. And I'm sure Billy could help you with this. Talking about Billy, where is our leader of the band?
OK. I went back through my pictures to see what was attached to it before I posted pictures. It is on the presser foot rod. Just looked in the manual I printed and it is the TADA thread cutter. Feel kind of silly now. :hunf: But at least I know what it is now. I can't pull the rod out without taking it off. May just leave it in. Since I have you on the line, do you have any idea on how to take the tensioner off?

Thanks for any help.
Lauren

Tensioner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162490[/ATTACH]

the THREAD CUTTER
[ATTACH=CONFIG]162494[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-162485.jpe   attachment-162489.jpe  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:30 PM

OK. I went back through my pictures to see what was attached to it before I posted pictures. It is on the presser foot rod. Just looked in the manual I printed and it is the TADA thread cutter. Feel kind of silly now. :hunf: But at least I know what it is now. I can't pull the rod out without taking it off. May just leave it in. Since I have you on the line, do you have any idea on how to take the tensioner off?

Thanks for any help.
Lauren
Do you have a Singer manual? It shows you how it comes apart and back together. Plus, Billy shows how to take apart an older one, this isn't that much different. Scroll down the page until you see his photos for the tension. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by Randa
Originally Posted by BoJangles
Randa, would you please tell me what page your Davis is on in this shop? I want to look at your machine and compare it to my Davis VF and I can't find the picture.

Nancy
Hi, Nancy...pics of the Davis are on 533. Let me know if we have twins! :-D
Here is the newest acquisition....Seems to be a 15-91 from 1946. Told you she was pretty dirty, but cleaner than the other one that wouldn't even stay in it's delapitated case. (The one I left behind.) So, it's a snow day here, can't even get out of the drive to go to work, so my day will be spent on here or at a sewing machine! (DH took the 4-wheel drive and went to work so I can play with this one!!!)
Randa, very pretty hope you enjoy sewing with her.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I did purchase the Davis NVF machine The serial number is 2746650.
Photos of attachments:
See that little button above your tension disk? I bet if you try sewing and push that button your machine goes in reverse! Trish just told me that! Unfortunately, my Davis is older than either Trish's or Randa's so my VF does not have that reverse feature -- I think both of theirs do go in reverse! So will yours! You are so lucky!
Nancy
Vintagemotif, Great machine hope you have fun with her.
Nancy, my machine does not have that little button for reverse. I just saw that in a manual. So I still think my Davis FV is as old as yours.