Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 01-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwendt
I so relate...

I just unearthed my Singer 66-16 and opened up the cabinet, got it set up to run. Still need to oil it first. I had had it serviced about 9 years ago, haven't sewed on it since. They redid all the electric.

Here's the kicker. I don't understand it. My S/N is AC746635, right in the middle of a run of 1929 66's it says according to the Singer website. BUT... there's no up/down lever with markings for the backtack/stitch length. Instead there's a big honking screw to adjust. Then I noticed that the bobbin winder affair is a big complicated mesh of gears that rides up by the wheel, and not down further as is on the 66-16. I thought, what??? That's not a 66-16, no matter what the manual says.

So I looked on sandman's site to identify. It looks like the 3/4 99-13... EXCEPT... it's got the 66-16 face plate (both flat and rounded, swirlies). Both machines (and mine) have the foot attachment screw on the side. And the D needle plate. I measured from the edge of the needle, along the bed, to the most inward edge of the column - it's 8" exactly - so is it a full size, or a 3/4?. Looks like a pristine Filligree pattern. See the pictures...

What the heck have I got here???? And what's the screw post thing at the top of the arm over the take up bar/needle? Thanks for the help!
There were other 66's before the 66-16 (and after it as well). Yours might be the 66-6.

NeedleBar lists some of the differences here: http://www.needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=51&pos=0
Old 01-25-2011, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
There were other 66's before the 66-16 (and after it as well). Yours might be the 66-6.

NeedleBar lists some of the differences here: http://www.needlebar.org/cm~nb/displayimage.php?album=51&pos=0
Um... yes, I realize that too. You are right. I thought of that. You'll note that my machine has a totally different wheel. It's not open spoke, although it does look like it has a groove for a belt/treadle I assume. It does have the singerlight and the electric is not an add on. It came electric. Very weird. Maybe Billy can shed some light on it.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:04 PM

I so relate...

I just unearthed my Singer 66-16 (according to it's manual) and opened up the cabinet, got it set up to run. Still need to oil it first. I had had it serviced about 9 years ago, haven't sewed on it since. They redid all the electric.

Here's the kicker. I don't understand it. My S/N is AC746635, right in the middle of a run of 1929 66's it says according to the Singer website. Note in the last picture... that the last 2 digits of the SN are strange - they are not cut into the brass as deeply - very noticable. Why would that be. Almost looks like the last two digits were stamped into the brass by hand.

So the manual and the S/N both say, 66 BUT... there's no up/down lever with markings for the backtack/stitch length. Instead there's a big honking screw to adjust. Then I noticed that the bobbin winder affair is a big complicated mesh of gears that rides up by the wheel, and not down further as is on the 66-16. I thought, what??? That's not a 66-16, no matter what the manual says.

So I looked on sandman's site to identify. It looks like the 3/4 99-13... EXCEPT... it's got the 66-16 face plate (both flat and rounded, swirlies). Both machines (and mine) have the foot attachment screw on the side. And the D needle plate. I measured from the edge of the needle, along the bed, to the most inward edge of the column - it's 8" exactly, Full bed size is 14.5" x 7"deep (not including the black plate that fills in where (I guess) a treadle belt could be used... So that tends to be a full size bed - I think. Looks like a pristine Filligree pattern. See the pictures...

What the heck have I got here???? Some sort of weird hybrid? Thanks for the help!
I got one of them. Mine is a Singer 66-2, looks like yours. SN AA420007 which makes it a 1925. Hope that helps ya!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-168162.png   attachment-168163.png  
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but I'm still not sure if I sould be posting new machine questions here or elsewhere. Could someone please tell me exactly where on a Redeye to find the serial number? It is in a cabinet and I need to ask the seller to look for it. Thanx, luv2learn
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Sorry to interrupt, but I'm still not sure if I sould be posting new machine questions here or elsewhere. Could someone please tell me exactly where on a Redeye to find the serial number? It is in a cabinet and I need to ask the seller to look for it. Thanx, luv2learn
Look at Vintage Motif's posting just above yours... you can see the brass serial number plate on the deck, at the base of the pillar and just below the oval Singer badge on the front. That brass plate is stamped with the s/n. The Redeyes were many times 66's... and that's very similar to the above, vintagemotif's machine in that pic is also a 66.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

TR 3 is a good cleaner/polisher, but to me it takes forever. I have used it on more modern machines (from the 40s and 50s) with great results. Harry Berzack's curator uses a spray foam on all of the machines. I can't remember the name right off hand, but it makes most of us gasp. He says he has no trouble with it, though!!
Carter Bays doesn't clean his at all. His machines are complete with original spider webs. They aren't used, so I guess that makes sense. Whatever works.
Well Miz Johnny I understand why you say the TR3 seems to take forever! I have been working on my Redeye on and off all afternoon with the TR 3 Resin Glaze. I have really started to get a nice glow on the bed of that machine, but yes it is very time consumming. I am being very careful to go around my decals too as they are still in very good shape.

I have decided to put a light coat of the TR3 on all my machines just to protect the decals from futher damage. I am afraid that if I clean the machines with anything else, the decals will eventually get corroded.

Monica, you have been pretty quiet, but don't you think if we use sewing machine oil - and don't get all of it off - that eventually the oil will eat through the decals? I would think anything, even Liquid Gold sitting on the decals would eventually eat through? I really like the way the machines look when they are cleaned with sewing machine oil, but the oil attracts cat hair and makes the machines messy to use.

Cleaning with the TR3 is a lot of work, but once the cleaner wax coat is on the machine it is much easier to keep the machine clean. The machines don't attract dirt, hair, etc.

My thoughts -- any others have an opinion? Since I ruined the decals on my Davis, I am very leary of anything. Maybe, Carter Bays has the best idea!

Nancy
Nancy, If you are being careful by working around the decals while using the TR3, then you are only protecting the non-decal part of the machine, japan. How do you plan to protect the decals? I think Carter Bays does have a good idea, but then some pollutants can eat away at the decals too. Don't know what is in that dirt sitting on the machines.

I'm still researching, and thinking.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Vintage motif... what's the difference in a 66-2? The electric version of the 66 treadle and that's it?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Look at Vintage Motif's posting just above yours... you can see the brass serial number plate on the deck, at the base of the pillar and just below the oval Singer badge on the front. That brass plate is stamped with the s/n. The Redeyes were many times 66's... and that's very similar to the above, vintagemotif's machine in that pic is also a 66.

kwent, thanx for such a quick response. I'll ask them to tell me the sn so I can check it out. luv2learn
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM

I've been told not to use Schmetz in my FW or my 66, so can I use them on my Singers?

Marie M.
Why not? I know you should not use the old Singer needles in the newer machines (differences in scarf), but believe the Schmetz needles are fine in your FW and 66.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Ok, i have to confess. I am a turncoat. Bought a green grasshopper ELNA on eBay....... do you still love me?
I still think you're tops... and oh... you're not the only person on this thread with a 'grasshopper'.... lol
I have one.