Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Okay! here are pictures. :D

The picture for the shuttle area was not good, so will be posted later.
I have a quick question:
If I read all of the pages in this particular thread, will I be able to learn more about loading shuttles and how they work? <wave>
I have one of these!!! I can't believe it! In the last two days two other people have posted pics of two of my machines!!! Does yours run quietly?? Mine does, but it needs new cords, so I didn't sew much...just enough to make her run and see how she sounded. Love her!!!! Other than the cords I have your twin!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Originally Posted by psychonurse
featherweight
born 1951 june 1 Elizabeth NJ
AK 416867

She came with a case and several feet. should have taken a pic. forgot.
She did not have a plug on her cord when purchased, but
for $179 I got that taken care of.
she has some wear on the front AND I have not investigated how to clean her up from that aspect.
She sews like a charm. Her name is CeCe
Beautiful FW! Does anyone on here have a FW older than 1935? I have a first run of 1935 FW and was wondering if I have the oldest one here?

Nancy

Hi Nancy,
My oldest FW is dated September 23, 1935.
Serial # is AE004181

Blessings,
Sandi
Old 06-30-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Hi Nancy,
My oldest FW is dated September 23, 1935.
Serial # is AE004181

Blessings,
Sandi
WOW, Sandi you have one of the first runs also! The FW was introduced at the Chicago World's Fair in 1933. A lot of people think they have a very early FW when in fact they have a Sewhandy, which is the predecessor to the FW.

Anyway my oldest FW is AE000531, which dates "Deon" September 23, 1935, also - but, in the first 500 of the run! I have not found one older on this board yet!

Hang on to that FW as it is very special being such an early run of the FW's.

Nancy
Old 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Nancy/Bojangles,
Thank you for showing me the entire quilt. :-D The batik you used for the background and borders really picks up the colors in the blocks. Great quilt! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Sharon W.
Thank you Sharon, I did pick the batik for the background, the sashing colors, binding, back color, etc., and I changed up some of the block colors. But, most of the block colors were part of a Block of the Month program.

Nancy
Old 06-30-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
Here is my Remington Treadle New NO 5. Billy is helping me date it.
Love the Remington! Ok it is a fiddle base with a wood pitman - I can tell by the picture that your pitman is wood! Those two things are a dead give away that you have a pre 1900 machine!

Nancy
Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Is't she lovely. Cabinet too.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:25 PM

I'm taken a break from assembling that free cabinet and treadle that I picked up over a month ago. So, I decided to post some pictures of the recently finished quilt that will be heading to a victim of the Joplin, MO disaster. My neighbor knows of a person that lost everything. Remember, I was given a Touch and Sew in a very nice cabinet for free (from the same neighbor). I recently sold that machine (I think the gal picking up the machine was only interested in the cabinet). Well, the money from that sell went into making this quilt. The pattern is the 'Plain Spoken", and every time I look at this quilt the song "Somewhere Over a Rainbow" comes to mind. This quilt was made using the Eldredge Two Spools for piecing, Singer 201 for quilting, Davis NVF for binding, and Singe 328 for decorative binding stitch for finishing off the quilt. I love recycling and pay it forward!

Plain spoken pattern- front of quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219080[/ATTACH]

Back of quilt is the circles fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219081[/ATTACH]

Decorative stitch made with Singe 328 in treadle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219082[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219074.jpe   attachment-219075.jpe   attachment-219076.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM

This was on CL in the free stuff. Serial # TX 235577 is under the front shuttle plate. The name on the arm is 'Our Special'. Was missing the power cord, controller is knee type behind the front door. Still had the shuttle and one bobbin in it. The bobbin is about 1/4 inch longer that a singer. The power plugs in under the back of the cabinet and is recessed into the bottom side. It seems to be about 1/2 to 3/4 size of my 66. Started cleaning it today, you can peal the scrum(I think smoke residue) off with your fingernail.

our special in cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219090[/ATTACH]

model - our special - front side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219091[/ATTACH]

model - our special - back side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]219092[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219084.jpe   attachment-219085.jpe   attachment-219086.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Here are pictures of the cabinet that I'm working on right now.
I picked up this free cabinet that needed assembling. This was a project that someone else started 25 years ago, but they lost the jar full of parts, handles and screws, that they had set aside. So, they posted on CLs for free to someone willing to finish the work. Well, I'm finishing the project. As I started to put the next rack of drawers on the top, I realized that the gadget for the side top, the one that keeps the small section of the top up, is not there. Does anyone have this cabinet and top? I would like to see the gadget or lever (or whatever it is call) looks like. I would great appreciate seeing a photo. I'm just trying to put the old lady together again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219094.jpe   attachment-219095.jpe  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Originally Posted by omak
Okay! here are pictures. :D

The picture for the shuttle area was not good, so will be posted later.
I have a quick question:
If I read all of the pages in this particular thread, will I be able to learn more about loading shuttles and how they work? <wave>
I have one of these!!! I can't believe it! In the last two days two other people have posted pics of two of my machines!!! Does yours run quietly?? Mine does, but it needs new cords, so I didn't sew much...just enough to make her run and see how she sounded. Love her!!!! Other than the cords I have your twin!
I haven't plugged her in yet, and it looks like she is missing her bobbin, so it will be awhile yet. This one is in pretty good shape, if not somewhat dusty - - but, that is the price one pays for living in a high desert <g>. I am that person described a bit earlier - - if it is black and old, I am sure it is either a FW or really valuable.
The other reason I appreciate the older machines is that they are pretty straight forward in their care and refurbishment and almost indestructible. <wave>